Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 18, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #4,651 of 5,150
If you are after a larger soundstage, you'll need to get 12AU7 to 6922 adapters. Most of the 6DJ8/6922's that I've tried do not really expand the soundstage as much as 12AU7's do, at least as much as the 1950's Raytheon 12AU7 D-getters. I don't recall whether the higher end 6DJ8/6922's that I have (Amperex PQ, 7308) do much for soundstage. Then again, the LP isn't exactly known for having a wide soundstage.
I was hoping not to have to go the adapter route. That being said any recommendations for adapters?
Thank you

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #4,652 of 5,150
If you are after a larger soundstage, you'll need to get 12AU7 to 6922 adapters. Most of the 6DJ8/6922's that I've tried do not really expand the soundstage as much as 12AU7's do, at least as much as the 1950's Raytheon 12AU7 D-getters. I don't recall whether the higher end 6DJ8/6922's that I have (Amperex PQ, 7308) do much for soundstage. Then again, the LP isn't exactly known for having a wide soundstage.
• One can get better soundstage with higher end 6922 type tubes. Examples: Valvo E88CC, Tungsram E88CC, Raytheon JAN 7308. If one wants to pursue 12AU7 tube types for better soundstage: Sylvania ‘yellow print’ 12AU7s, Lansdale (Philco) 12AU7s. Preferably, the ‘long plate’ versions. [Long plates, inside the tube, are typically 17 millimeters in height.]
• Connect DAC / source to LP via XLR-terminated cables to the rear XLR sockets. SE connection / use may compromise soundstage (and overall dynamics). If the gear ‘upstream’ of LP is deficient in soundstage, do not expect LP to ‘fill in the gaps’.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #4,653 of 5,150
I was hoping not to have to go the adapter route. That being said any recommendations for adapters?
Thank you
These are the ones I ordered…
1681813473483.png

https://pulsetubestore.com/products/12axx-to-ecc88-adapter-plug-play-novib-©-1960s-nos-british-mcmurdo-phenolic-socket-on-top-plus-vibration-reduction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china
Seems they’re shipping from India. I haven’t received them yet, so I can’t comment on the quality. I believe several others have used these, maybe they’ll chime in with their impressions…

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #4,654 of 5,150
These are the ones I ordered…
1681813473483.png
https://pulsetubestore.com/products/12axx-to-ecc88-adapter-plug-play-novib-©-1960s-nos-british-mcmurdo-phenolic-socket-on-top-plus-vibration-reduction-base-9-pin-b9a-noval-not-made-in-china
Seems they’re shipping from India. I haven’t received them yet, so I can’t comment on the quality. I believe several others have used these, maybe they’ll chime in with their impressions…
Simple …. the best. Also, I have ordered from PTS many a time. Sanjiv at PTS is the best, too.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #4,655 of 5,150
• One can get better soundstage with higher end 6922 type tubes. Examples: Valvo E88CC, Tungsram E88CC, Raytheon JAN 7308. If one wants to pursue 12AU7 tube types for better soundstage: Sylvania ‘yellow print’ 12AU7s, Lansdale (Philco) 12AU7s. Preferably, the ‘long plate’ versions. [Long plates, inside the tube, are typically 17 millimeters in height.]
• Connect DAC / source to LP via XLR-terminated cables to the rear XLR sockets. SE connection / use may compromise soundstage (and overall dynamics). If the gear ‘upstream’ of LP is deficient in soundstage, do not expect LP to ‘fill in the gaps’.
thank you

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #4,657 of 5,150
Great info, thank you.
I have the Geshelli J2 AKM dac. I am upgrading from the Xduoo MT-604 and use the non-stealh Ananda. I felt like that set had "appropriate" soundstage. With the LP I noticed right away more detail and a darker background. I feel like I lost soundstage and a little bass impact. I will do the burn in, hopefully that will finish this week end. Then I will decide about tube rolling. I have been doing my research in these threads so I think I have an idea where I am headed. Seems like no matter what route I go, any upgrade is going to cost $180ish. Not that I mind, just going to pay some other bills first.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #4,658 of 5,150
Great info, thank you.
I have the Geshelli J2 AKM dac. I am upgrading from the Xduoo MT-604 and use the non-stealh Ananda. I felt like that set had "appropriate" soundstage. With the LP I noticed right away more detail and a darker background. I feel like I lost soundstage and a little bass impact. I will do the burn in, hopefully that will finish this week end. Then I will decide about tube rolling. I have been doing my research in these threads so I think I have an idea where I am headed. Seems like no matter what route I go, any upgrade is going to cost $180ish. Not that I mind, just going to pay some other bills first.
I should also add that I am all balanced connections, Worlds Best Cable XLRs, Hart Audio cables XLR.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #4,660 of 5,150
As soon as these go on sale again I will buy another. LP is my fav amp since I've been in the hobby

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #4,661 of 5,150
Worlds best cables are great. I just ordered a few Harts cables which are a great deal.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #4,662 of 5,150
Great info, thank you.
One thing to keep in mind about tubes (even $$$ NOS tubes, if you choose) in Liquid Platinum. Because they are in the preamp stage, while the output stage is solid-state, the tubes are not ‘carrying all the freight’ of amplification. The tubes’ life (~ 5000 to 8000 hours, depending on tube type) should be extended because of this - barring either a defect in the tubes or an amplifier mishap.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,663 of 5,150
As soon as these go on sale again I will buy another. LP is my fav amp since I've been in the hobby
Yeah I caught the sales just right and got my second one for just over $300 including taxes. Unbelievable deal! One will remain stock 6922 tubes and the other 12au7, maybe the cap mod. At that price I can afford to have some fun with it. 😎

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #4,664 of 5,150
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #4,665 of 5,150
One thing to keep in mind about tubes (even $$$ NOS tubes, if you choose) in Liquid Platinum. Because they are in the preamp stage, while the output stage is solid-state, the tubes are not ‘carrying all the freight’ of amplification. The tubes’ life (~ 5000 to 8000 hours, depending on tube type) should be extended because of this - barring either a defect in the tubes or an amplifier mishap.
good to know, thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back