Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #4,636 of 5,150
Since I got my Liquid Platinum in March, I have been using it for music. I only used my THX AAA One amp for gaming.

On HE6se V2 and Sennheiser HD560S, I don't need to do A-B comparison, because LP is huge improvement over THX AAA One. More dynamic and more bass impact on HE6se V2, though this can be due to increased power. And LP just take HD560S to another level. It sounds like $300 headphones on LP, almost comparable to HD660S.

On HD660S, the difference is smaller between LP versus THX AAA. My take is that vocals sound so good on HD660S, with any amp. So that reduces the delta between the amps. This morning, I took some time to do A-B comparison with HD660S. I used SE on THX AAA One. I tried both SE and Balanced on LP.

Yeah, I like HD660S on LP over THX AAA One. But it is not night or day difference like my other headphones. It takes some A-B to realize that difference. LP definitely beats THX AAA One in balanced mode, especially on the bass impact. The difference is smaller with SE. Have to be careful with volume in A-B comparison as always, especially since LP's SE is lower in volume than balanced.

I listened to &burn by Billie Eilish and Vince Staples ()
  • Right off the bat right when the song starts, LP has more bass impact.
  • Blowing in the left and right ears is so realistic on LP, that I have goosebumps and shivers. I know HD660S doesn't have large soundstage, but it has excellent layering and separation. Very realistic 3-dimensional soundstage.
  • Billie Eilish's singing voice is lower pitched on LP and higher pitched on THX AAA. LP's lower pitch vocals sounds smoother and sweeter, but does sound a bit duller and less open. It is personal preference which one might like. I like both versions.
Then Read All About It, Pt. III - Live From The Voice of Germany Final, by Emili Sande and Nick Howard ()
  • Vocals on LP vs THX AAA sound quite different. It takes a while to get used to either. LP has warmer, reverb, and texture in the vocals. THX AAA is more 1-dimensional.
  • In Emili Sande (female voice), LP sounds much better. It might be because she has better voice. The difference is quite significant, and LP is my preference.
  • Then in Nick Howard (male voice), LP sounds more lively, possibly more realistic (like live recording), but has some grainy-ness. Whereas THX AAA is flatter and smoother. Again, it depends on personal preference. I don't know which is closer to the original recording.
  • At 3:13 mark, there is a popping sound, like light burned out. I can hear that in both amps, but definitely more obvious on THX AAA.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #4,637 of 5,150
Vocals on LP vs THX AAA sound quite different. It takes a while to get used to either. LP has warmer, reverb, and texture in the vocals. THX is more 1-dimensional.
  • In Emili Sande (female voice), LP sounds much better. It might be because she has better voice. The difference is quite significant, and LP is my preference.
  • Then in Nick Howard (male voice), LP sounds more lively, possibly more realistic (like live recording), but has some grainy-ness. Whereas THX AAA is flatter and smoother. Again, it depends on personal preference. I don't know which is closer to the original recording.
  • At 3:13 mark, there is a popping sound, like light burned out. I can hear that in both amps, but definitely more obvious on THX AAA.
☑️ THX AAA headphone amplifiers may be laboratory measurement champs but are ambiance / reverb / soundstage chumps 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #4,639 of 5,150
I had no idea the headphones were also marked down. I would have bought them.

Apr 17, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,640 of 5,150
The 1070 was $200 and you could use the 15% off too. I bought a pair for $182 and some change with taxes and free shipping three weeks ago.
They were still on sale last night, again with the 15% off and I almost bought another pair. The 1570 C was $210 for a short time and had the 15% off at one point. I should have tried that one but I like the open 1070 so well I went with the 1070.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #4,643 of 5,150
I have both M1070 and M1570, and the M1570 is a nice improvement on SQ.
Planar bass from M1060 started all the trouble for me :)

I had been just an IEM user, then saw the M1060s and wanted to see what all this 'planar stuff' was about. Flawed headphone, but the bass really caught my attention. HE-560s showed up and suddenly I was on the slippery slope -- still picking up speed (as I wait for my Caldera loaner to arrive).

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #4,644 of 5,150
It depends on the headphones. The Liquid Platinum is better for most planars and similar headphones. While the Mainline and SEX would be a preferred amp for headphones like the HD600/HD650 and HD800 and similar. Part of that is the LP has more power and current. Most planars do better with tube amps that have more power than the SEX or Mainline.

Haha tell that to my HD600

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #4,645 of 5,150
It depends on the headphones. The Liquid Platinum is better for most planars and similar headphones. While the Mainline and SEX would be a preferred amp for headphones like the HD600/HD650 and HD800 and similar. Part of that is the LP has more power and current. Most planars do better with tube amps that have more power than the SEX or Mainline.
Haha tell that to my HD600
Or my ZMFs (Auteur and Atrium). Although, LP and my planars also get along very well.

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #4,646 of 5,150
The LP and my LCD-X and 2CB are perfect together. Looking forward to eventually on a lucky day adding the ZMF Caldera.
The LP is also amazing with my 109pro.

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4,647 of 5,150
Hey just got the link to this thread from the LP tube rollers thread.
Just got my LP today. Am listening to it as I type. Just wondering if there are any tips or recommendations besides tube rolling.
Geshelli J2 AKM, Hifiman Ananda (non stealth)
Thank you all and joyful listening

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #4,648 of 5,150
I am 100% with you on LP & LCD-X ! Great tube contribution to liquify the bass / midbass and SS contribution to feed the planar sheet’s quickness 🙂.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #4,649 of 5,150
My replacement LP came in the mail today... as did my new Ananda Stealths, and I managed to get a raise at work. Though not my typical genre, the appropriate Ice Cube track was indeed the first thing I played on the combo, because it was a good day.

It sounds like my first LP died in much the same manner as what Shane D has described in this thread.

My replacement came in a box with no packing pillows this time, just a box-in-a-box. Mine did not appear to have been opened, though.
I did take pictures of my first serial, and they did not send me the same unit back. I will still give their customer service like a 6/10.
Did I get it replaced? Yes. Did I have to pull teeth to get anything done? Yes. Did they acknowledge receipt of the amp I shipped back or tell me ANYTHING after getting it? No.
They told me they'd send me tracking info or a confirmation when the RMA was confirmed and they did neither. The replacement amp just showed up today (which is 7 days after they received the dead one I sent them, which I stashed the confirmation/signature thing from Fedex that I got when it was dropped off).

What I can say is that my new one has been cooking for about 7 hours at this point and is still alive. Been swapping between my HD650 and my new Ananadas and I love everything I'm hearing.

I have a set of custom cables on order from Hart, which I'm amused to see was just suggested in this thread too (I didn't see it here).
Will report back if anything bad happens, or as my opinions of this amp solidify as I own it longer.

I don't know how many people subscribe to the idea of amp or headphone burn-in, but I'm definitely hearing changes as I go today and I don't know which piece of equipment is changing most. I'm literally a scientist and changing the two variables at the same time is bugging the crap out of me, but it sounds way too good to not use both of my new toys. :o2smile:
I have the non-stealth Ananda, got them open box from Amazon for $500ish. Right about the time the Stealth came out. I also have Hart cables. I use the Geshelli J2AKM dac. Listening right now, for about an hour. I upgraded from the Xduoo MT-604. I look forward to your thoughts. While I know I need to wait for burn-in, I already know I am going to swap tubes. I can tell already the LP is more mid-forward and the sound stage is narrower. It actually sounds like a slightly "nicer" SMSL SH-8s.
Take care and joyful listening

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #4,650 of 5,150
I have the non-stealth Ananda, got them open box from Amazon for $500ish. Right about the time the Stealth came out. I also have Hart cables. I use the Geshelli J2AKM dac. Listening right now, for about an hour. I upgraded from the Xduoo MT-604. I look forward to your thoughts. While I know I need to wait for burn-in, I already know I am going to swap tubes. I can tell already the LP is more mid-forward and the sound stage is narrower. It actually sounds like a slightly "nicer" SMSL SH-8s.
Take care and joyful listening
If you are after a larger soundstage, you'll need to get 12AU7 to 6922 adapters. Most of the 6DJ8/6922's that I've tried do not really expand the soundstage as much as 12AU7's do, at least as much as the 1950's Raytheon 12AU7 D-getters. I don't recall whether the higher end 6DJ8/6922's that I have (Amperex PQ, 7308) do much for soundstage. Then again, the LP isn't exactly known for having a wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back