Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #4,021 of 5,150
And I thought I got a great deal at $399.99. lol A free $800 headphone amplifier! Nah, computers never make mistakes. 😉

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #4,022 of 5,150
My question is:

Is the partially plugged cable into the adapter really enough to trigger the protection circuit? If so, Cavalli must have had a good reason such as protecting both the amp and headphones.
Yes- a partially plugged in cable or adapter can short the output and a protection circuit is designed to help prevent permanent damage.

With many older tube amps (point-to-point wiring) or DIY amps, you want to turn down the volume knob all the way and/or stop the music before plugging/unplugging headphones. The TRS/TRRS plugs are not a good design for plugging/unplugging with "hot" outputs. (That is another reason many of us prefer 4-pin XLR connectors, even if the amp is only single-ended/not balanced.)

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #4,023 of 5,150
I just recently went back to the LP and it always reminds me why I kept this amp after having so many others. I had it sitting in a box (after being cap modded) for a while. While it may not be the most detailed out there - when it's cap modded it's a lot more responsive to tube rolling which is immensely fun. I love that it also can take SE and turn it into balanced. Makes for a nice compact setup. This amp is for those who really just want to enjoy their music and not analyze. It's an excellent pairing with the Yggy and Bifrost 2. Besides, I made my LP distinctly mine but cutting a huge hole in it to make tube rolling and cap changes super simple haha. No one would probably buy it anyway (probably my way of keeping it intentionally). At the $400-$500 sales these come at with some good tubes - don't even consider another amp. 3.6W in balanced will have you at 11' o clock if you like to listen loud like me. What else could you want for the price?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #4,024 of 5,150
I just recently went back to the LP and it always reminds me why I kept this amp after having so many others. I had it sitting in a box (after being cap modded) for a while. While it may not be the most detailed out there - when it's cap modded it's a lot more responsive to tube rolling which is immensely fun. I love that it also can take SE and turn it into balanced. Makes for a nice compact setup. This amp is for those who really just want to enjoy their music and not analyze. It's an excellent pairing with the Yggy and Bifrost 2. Besides, I made my LP distinctly mine but cutting a huge hole in it to make tube rolling and cap changes super simple haha. No one would probably buy it anyway (probably my way of keeping it intentionally). At the $400-$500 sales these come at with some good tubes - don't even consider another amp. 3.6W in balanced will have you at 11' o clock if you like to listen loud like me. What else could you want for the price?
I agree, I couldn’t see it getting any better but nevertheless got the formula s and have kept the liquid platinum inside.
I don’t want to sell it because it punches way further than it’s price.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #4,025 of 5,150
Yeah, same here. The more I listen to it, the more it becomes a "you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands" kind of amp.

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #4,027 of 5,150
Good stuff, and to answer your last question. . . a better pot. :wink:

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #4,028 of 5,150
Good stuff, and to answer your last question. . . a better pot. :wink:
Haha yeah they did make it a bit hard to change it to an Alps or something. That’s one part why I don’t know they cheaped out on.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #4,029 of 5,150
Does anyone know what the max heater current is? Could this handle 600mA at 6.3V?

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #4,030 of 5,150
12AU7 adapters for the Liquid Platinum. Got lots of tube options now 😄

Cavalli_Liquid_Platinum_12AU7_adapter.jpg

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4,032 of 5,150
12AU7 adapters for the Liquid Platinum. Got lots of tube options now 😄

Nice! Starting out strong with those RFT foil getters. Knowing the sound sig of both the amp and those tubes, I bet that is going to sound killer!

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #4,033 of 5,150
Mar 9, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #4,034 of 5,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back