Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 17, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #4,008 of 5,150
That was a pricing error. Monoprice canceled and refunded everyone's order (including mine).
[Redacted] in the the interest of accuracy + some people didn't see comments I made to keep the discussion peaceful and accurate as possible.

Haven't looked but it's possible their terms specify either customers need to return items , with wording like in event of blah blah you agree to blah blah, would be hard to enforce [speculation proved unfounded] unlikely they would peruse people criminally IMO,[incorrect info proved false] seems really weird they would refund the orders as well without a contingency unless they really are that disorganized.[unrelated] blacklist the serial numbers for warranty (since you have to give invoice info or it's already on account they will see you were one of the people who got it and really should not have...)

I have seen quite a few extremely cheap ones being listed as well as sold, especially considering the details of the condition of the units... For those people who did get one thru this incident and do sell it, I have a concern it might not have a warranty[speculation, no idea if true(disclosed that)] I am just speculating however, I have heard nothing to suggest warranty cancellation, except the odd refunds given, with seemingly no request to get the item back or be compensated. Monoprice may just choose to honor the warranties, but if I were selling one I would call discretely and generally asking if hypothetically these amps have warranties without giving too much info...

Anyway I bring the topic of their cheap amps floating around for the safety of anyone who purchases them. To those of you who purchased cheap liquid platinums or are considering it, and see this, I would consider not only asking the seller how they got it, but also get the serial number and run it by Monoprice to make sure you are not getting any surprises... [unrelated prior interaction]

[speculation, potentially partially unfounded].
and now I am keeping deals pages for amps and headphones up and refreshing everyday, can't believe I missed it :frowning2:

P.S. Edited this a few times to make sure I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone or giving the idea I know something nobody else here knows. The only new information I posted is the slickdeals comments which I have no way of knowing which are true or false, saying some people still got amps and some didn't. I posted this out of concern for potential and recent buyers of this product so they can be informed of the information that might potentially adversely effect them. I know as much about this as anyone else who happened to read the comments.

Disclaimer
1. This is only my opinion.
2. I am biased, like everyone else.
3. I have not heard everything in the world.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #4,009 of 5,150
Just went thru the slickdeals page... apparently everyone got their order cancelled, and refunded.... but many people still got the amps shipped to them, confirmation of one person who received 2 amps and was refunded, and there was another person ITT who claimed to order 20 (no confirmation).... Personally if I got one I would hold it and not touch it for a few months to make sure I never got a letter saying to give it back
MP cannot do anything if they already performed their part of the bargain following charging the customer (i.e. sending the amp to the customer). In doing so, they agreed to the transaction.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #4,010 of 5,150
Deleted in the the interest of accuracy + some people didn't see comments I made to keep the discussion peaceful and accurate as possible.

" I just disagree with you they "cannot do anything"."

Disclaimer

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #4,011 of 5,150
...You do realize these people are shopping on Monoprice's website, and they are allowed to put terms of usage up (that only apply if they were there at time of order) that you agree to when you buy, even if you don't read them? That is a pretty ridiculous statement to make unless you have read thru all their terms. I also do not think they refunded the people for no reason, they are a 8 figure a month monthly company that I am sure has very scary lawyers and from their response it doesn't seem like they think it's a normal transaction.

Anyway you are free think whatever you want. I think for a company as old as them, as large as them, and as understaffed as them, this has happened before and they have a plan for the occasion that doesn't consist of expending extra effort to let customers who got their item at a steep discount. just have it free, lol. So sorry I just disagree with you they "cannot do anything".
Look, if the seller delivered the item to the buyer, then the seller acquiesced to the pricing error and the order is fulfilled, completed. If you look at the terms of the website, it talks about cancelling orders placed with the incorrect price, which is their way out from performing to the terms of the order (e.g. delivering the amp to the buyer). The cancellation referred to therein occurs prior to MP performing. If MP performs by delivering the product to the buyer, then the order fulfilled: it is done, finished. There's no more order to cancel. This is why those who receive the amp from this error are under no obligation to return it since MP conduct can be construed as acceptance of the buyer's offer and that MP fulfilled the terms of that order from its delivery.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #4,012 of 5,150
Monoprice listed the amp as out of stock very quickly so only a small number of people were even able to order them and only a small % of those (from what I've seen) actually got the amp delivered. It would be a huge fiasco is they decided to request returns or re-charge people and would cause far more problems than it would solve. I haven't read their terms but I can't see how that would be legal anyway.

Some people just got really lucky with a free Liquid Platinum. As for the warranty, I assume it won't be a huge problem but it's definitely a weird situation where people received an order that in a way doesn't actually exist because it was canceled. It could cause a lot of confusion if people try to warranty those orders and they might deny the warranty claim, but the amp was free anyway so the buyer isn't out anything.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #4,013 of 5,150
Deleted in the the interest of accuracy + some people didn't see comments I made to keep the discussion peaceful and accurate as possible.

"what matters is what they do."

Disclaimer

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #4,014 of 5,150
feel free to rebut me again but I won't be responding, I think I have said more than enough.
I definitely agree with the last clause (and I am a retired lawyer). I think anyone who actually got a LP at the erroneous price can quit worrying about having their door kicked in by Monoprice's crack security forces.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #4,015 of 5,150
I see that, and I see they cancelled the orders, you think they gave the money back on orders they could see had valid tracking numbers in transit because they are nice people? Maybe they did, but I also know there are several names to describe items you may receive in the mail and decide to keep without being paid for(orders cancelled, as you said) and I know what has happened to some of those people who decide to keep the items. The terms were written by lawyers, and if a few lawyers told me what you said I would generally trust their judgement, but without that happening I can say I see what you are saying, but personally text does not explicitly talk about the situation at hand(as they often don't) so I will keep my doubts.... In the end I am still of the opinions Monoprice has more options than just to eat it, but what matters is what they do. They could very well take no further action, clients sometimes have knee jerk decisions and later, after a meeting with council realize they might have made things worse, but there is no proof that is what happened, and you haven't addressed how refunding people who received items makes any sense, if the narrative doesn't fit the facts, I usually consider a piece of the puzzle is missing...

Sorry if for some reason you need me to tell you that you are absolutely correct, that isn't going to happen, and since I am not a lawyer it doesn't mean much anyway.
Anyone else is free to believe what they want, I don't really think the issue is resolved logically or the policies give much more insight.... we literally knew they could cancel orders... because they did cancel orders, lol. That is literally all the text you referenced said... I also don't think when they put 'cancel orders' they had in mind giving people free items instead of incorrectly hugely discounted items... if something seems to good to be true.
Again, we are speculating in circles though, if you have a lawyer I suggest call them and ask if you want a professionals opinion, all other talk is conjecture at best without it... That being said only time will tell what happens. Until then I think I am free to post my opinions? no?

and I will leave it at that, feel free to rebut me again but I won't be responding, I think I have said more than enough.

I did not mean to spark a huge debate but if the person is in the US, they have no legal obligation to send the item back as it is deemed as a gift. Once the order was cancelled and buyer was refunded then the transaction is complete. The buyer is under no obligation to return the item and can keep said item or dispose of it as they want. This is to prevent companies from shipping random items to people and then charging an individual for the item they never wanted, terms and conditions can say whatever they want but there's nothing legally that can be done.

A saintly person can call a company and tell them they received the item by mistake and then offer to return the item which has happened many times. As for MP doing anything well they could sue those who received the LP considering in the US you can sue for a anything just doesn't mean they'll win the case and the bad publicity from this move would not be worth it.

To anyone else who received this item as a gift just please be aware there will be no warranty on the LP of course since there's been no transaction.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #4,016 of 5,150
I did some more digging to find a concrete answer. I said I wouldn't continue to post ITT but I feel like I made a mistake and want to correct it. @sennfan83261 you were correct that criminally nothing should be able to be done, nor can they levy unauthorized charges, but the answer wasn't in the terms(my opinion, still believe this), a simple answer lies on the Federal Trade Commissions Government website.

As @Jipped chimed in, the answer to can they do anything legally in my opinion falls under "in the US you can sue for a anything just doesn't mean they'll win " until an answer is found, and I will reiterate again, while I think them cancelling the orders and refunding probably was for a reason, I absolutely think the chance of taking proactive measures to be extremely small(but not 0%....), but I think there is a chance for them to take passive measures is realistically there until an answer is found.

"You don’t have to wait forever for things you order to arrive. And, you can dispute charges for things that didn’t arrive or that you didn’t accept. As for products that show up that you never ordered, you don’t have to pay for them. Federal laws protect you."

"By law, companies can’t send unordered merchandise to you, then demand payment. That means you never have to pay for things you get but didn’t order. You also don’t have to return unordered merchandise. You’re legally entitled to keep it as a free gift."

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articl...s-you-never-got-or-you-get-unordered-products

Please note there seem to be exceptions to this, that do not seem to apply here...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istakenly-delivered-house-says-did-wrong.html

good read on a different but similar situation and for anyone who ships expensive items a good lesson to use signature delivery!

Disclaimer

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #4,017 of 5,150
Yeah, no, MP are not going to be sending thugs to the doors of those they sent cheap LPs to. Even if they had some legal right to request the buyer to return their erroneously priced product, which I severely doubt they do, the cost of collecting all of the delivered LPs would far exceed the money they'd recover.

If we were talking thousands of units delivered at an erroneously huge discount, maaaaaaaaaaybe they'd try sending a letter. But in the case of this where it's like, maybe 5 units that got delivered, no, they're just going to eat the loss.

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #4,018 of 5,150
No kidding, it was nice to have some peace and quiet because of the monoprice issue, and now they're boiling hot water again for nothing.

I find this discussion here totally pointless and off the mark and almost presumptuous.
This crying just because Monoprice cancelled the orders due to a system error.
The fact that you have to drag the shop through the mud is just as repulsive.
Mistakes happen.
Errors also happen to the electricity companies, so that the electricity is lost?
There are really far worse problems that are even more important than getting upset about an amplifier that you can't get now.
At least 50% of the community wouldn't even have kept it, but would have sold it on Ebay for at least $600 out of greed.
That would be OK in reverse, wouldn't it?
If you think you can express yourselves like this and vent your anger, why don't you open a separate thread where you can let off steam?
The last 5-10 pages were just a kindergarten of frustration to read, like a little child who was taken away the lollipop.

Actually, you should be sued because you almost have to read the bull that is not informative and does not contribute to the matter.
That's the frustrating part.
When the window pops up you might have the hope that there really is something new, maybe new tubes that have been tried out or a discount, then you read crap like this.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #4,019 of 5,150
For me, my cancelled Liquid Platinum order is just spilled liquid. Agreed that certain images could be at times agreeable to the eye, but a spilling or spilled Liquid Platinum is unfortunately not one of them :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

696f1ddc6f99c301f24a7b073df19b57.gif
d5472f7419d7e7d7a6df4f50f2c9de01_w200.gif

267585c0425340b4b25ff8cf89c8a198.gif

That's just for a spot of levity. Absolutely no offense intended. :)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #4,020 of 5,150
So, something strange happened to me.

I bought a lightly used LP (late 2021 model) and it has worked perfectly for the past week. Today, I had a pentaconn to XLR adapter delivered and it made my 660S/800S sound fantastic with their included balanced pentaconn cables. However, just now I tripped the protection circuit when turning up the volume (no audio playing). This caused the white light to turn red but it shortly returned to white. I powered off the amp, and powered it back on. After, when I played audio, only the left channel came through, though with some static before tripping the circuit again (white to red light). I powered off the amp and checked my connection to find that the 660s Pentaconn cable was only partially inserted into the 4.44mm to XLR adapter (which explains the static left channel). After fully plugging it in, both left/right channels returned and my amp operates perfectly.

My question is:

Is the partially plugged cable into the adapter really enough to trigger the protection circuit? If so, Cavalli must have had a good reason such as protecting both the amp and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back