Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #3,451 of 5,150
Is there a post or a separate thread recommending tubes for this amp, folks? I just bought it and I'm trying to read through, but until I catch up with the thread, if someone has a quick link, that would help. Thank you!

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #3,452 of 5,150
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #3,453 of 5,150
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #3,455 of 5,150
Is there a post or a separate thread recommending tubes for this amp, folks? I just bought it and I'm trying to read through, but until I catch up with the thread, if someone has a quick link, that would help. Thank you!

The tube rolling thread for the Liquid Platinum is a bit crazy. Crazy for the wallet and churning. The stock Electro-Harmonix tubes that come with the amp are fine. I use new production Gold Lion E88CC/6922 tubes in my Liquid Platinum and Liquid Fire. The Gold Lion tubes are about $90-ish for a matched pair. And they're fine for me and my ears and gear.

I don't think it is wise to be churning through multiple hundreds of dollars worth of tubes for the Liquid Platinum. If you're rolling through $500+ worth of tubes for this amp I think that money would be better spent put towards a Liquid Gold X. Some of the tube rolling is a quest to try to get the Liquid Platinum to sound more close to what the Liquid Gold X sounds like, but will never be able to achieve (the Liquid Gold X is the better amp). Instead of rolling through $1000 worth of tubes for the LP just buy the Liquid Gold X. And be happy with new production tubes like the Gold Lion in the LP. The Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold X compliment each other. It is worth having both.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #3,456 of 5,150
Thank you. I have a pair of new gold lions from my Mjolnir 2 and I installed them in the LP yesterday. First time out of the box and straight out of an iPhone in SE with an E-MU Teak balanced sounded really nice to me. I couldn’t resist the sale price, so it’s sitting on my nightstand now. I can only imagine when it breaks in and I put a DAC with it running balanced. Waiting for the Cavali one just because it matches, but I’ll try it with the Mojo and Gungnir MB in the meantime. Thanks for the advice.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #3,457 of 5,150
Tubes make a substantial difference with the LP. Just read through the tube rolling thread and you we see some guys that know what good sound is and have the gear to hear it, are saying about tube rolling with the LP. The stock tubes or any new production tubes, can't hold a candle next to some of the better NOS tubes.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #3,458 of 5,150
Hi everyone this is my first post on Head-Fi. Been reading the forum for years and decided to make a post. Got my liquid platinum and am still in the process of burning it in. This is my first tube amp and I'm enjoying it so far. Pairs well with the HD 600 and aeolus as others have mentioned. Sound is nuanced with a relaxed presentation different from the Schiit Mjolnir I was using before which was more forward with a lot of macro dynamic energy.

Monoprice sent the amp with some discount codes. Since I'm not living in the states I'll just post them here for anyone to use. Happy Thanksgiving!

Doordash code: SRB1WHG (20% off 3 orders + $0 delivery fee on your first order)
HelloFresh code: A6898 - 6433 ($80 off including free shipping on your first box)

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #3,459 of 5,150
Tubes make a substantial difference with the LP. Just read through the tube rolling thread and you we see some guys that know what good sound is and have the gear to hear it, are saying about tube rolling with the LP. The stock tubes or any new production tubes, can't hold a candle next to some of the better NOS tubes.
which ones are good?

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #3,460 of 5,150
which ones are good?
Ya gotta do just a little work @Dawnrazor :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:!
I know we all want someone to just say "THIS is the tube you want!" @Wes S pointed you to the info you need to learn a bit. There are no one size fits all in tubes. There are plenty of good ones but what you may like and works for you may not be what I enjoy.

A lot of us have thousands of dollars of tubes that are good but we like these ones better!!!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #3,461 of 5,150
So, my DACs all have SE output level of 2.5v. Is that going to be a problem for the LP? I'm hearing some distortion in the signal that sounds beyond what is normal for tubes.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #3,463 of 5,150
No. The LP will convert your SE input to a balanced output internally.
I understand that part. I was more referring to the amount of voltage in the SE line level input that then gets 2x by the LP's internal circuitry. Not all line levels are set to 2.5v. some are only 2v, while some are 2.2v. I would imagine that tube amps are more sensitive to changes in the line level input voltage, causing gain issues down the chain, potentially running parts hotter than tolerance over time. And some have implied that power attenuation is necessary in other cases where the voltage was not matched. Not sure if I'm just making all this up in the case of the LP, but I thought it worth asking since user manual makes no mention of the input voltage for either balanced or SE.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #3,464 of 5,150
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #3,465 of 5,150
Has anyone considered the new (ish) Audio Note electrolytic caps instead of the Silmic for the mod? Generally speaking they tend to be warmer, but still a upgrade. Haven't tried in the Cavalli, so just kind of curious why folks are centered around the Silmic, which does tend to be brighter in other circuits I have tried it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back