Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,597 of 5,150
Sad news to report, my LP died on me this morning. :cry: I was happily jamming out, and it just turned off, and wont come back on. The light on the power supply is green, but the LP won't come on at all. I have babied this amp, and I really am quite upset it died within the first year of owning it. Time to see how an exchange goes with Monoprice.

Side note, I put my Schiit Jotunheim in the LP's place, and what a surprise it sounds just as good as the LP.
Sorry to hear... I hope the folks at.Monoprice do right by you... As for the Jot sounding just as good as the LP, it sounds both surprising and unsurprising, but we can discuss related insights later.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #2,598 of 5,150
Sad news to report, my LP died on me this morning. :cry: I was happily jamming out, and it just turned off, and wont come back on. The light on the power supply is green, but the LP won't come on at all. I have babied this amp, and I really am quite upset it died within the first year of owning it. Time to see how an exchange goes with Monoprice.

Side note, I put my Schiit Jotunheim in the LP's place, and what a surprise it sounds just as good as the LP.
My LP failure was almost the same. Pressed power to turn it on, and ... nothing. Only differences were that mine wasn’t running when it failed, and the power supply LED on mine was blinking. But I could never get an answer as to what that meant.

Monoprice was quick to replace it though.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,599 of 5,150
Talking about warranties, how long does the LP's last if it is purchased new from Monoprice?

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #2,601 of 5,150
Did they do any revision on the gain issue?
No.

Is there a way to modify yourself?
I would love to know, too. I am personally using a passive pre-amp between my DAC and the LP to deal with the gain issue. Not ideal solution, but modding the amp would void your warranty, and if you read a couple posts back - 2 different people had their LP die on them... not sure it is worth the risk of losing warranty...

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,602 of 5,150
Will monoprice honor the warranty if bought brand new from Amazon 2 months ago? Just chekcing because of all the failure talks got me scared about mine.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #2,604 of 5,150
^^^^^^^ Sorry to hear that. Good luck with Monoprice and let us know how that goes.

I wish that my Jotunheim (which is a very good amp at its price point) sounded as good to me as the LP.
Thanks! After further listening with the Jotunheim, it definitely is not as good as the LP, but with balanced in and out paired with my Gumby, it sounds pretty darn good and will get me by until I get my replacement LP.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #2,605 of 5,150
All,

My Amperex 6922 gray plate o getter just died, noticed it had a crack.
Its advisable to get just a replacement tube or do I need to buy a pair.

Also any current production tubes that are recommended with similar sound like the Amperex, nice detail and a warm tone with excellent mid bass.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,606 of 5,150

This is what happens when you use compatible tubes! Please be safe when using Coronavirus infected tubes! JK bro be safe. :ksc75smile:

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,607 of 5,150
This is what happens when you use compatible tubes! Please be safe when using Coronavirus infected tubes! JK bro be safe. :ksc75smile:
I have babied my LP, and only used the suggested tubes, so go figure I am the one with issues. :wink: Guess what, my new replacement has issues with the balance of the volume pot! At first I thought this one was better, but this one is even worse. The channel imbalance happens at about 9:30 on the dial, and I can just barely move the dial from 9:30 to 9:35, and the sound jumps from being balanced to getting stronger in the right channel. I listened with some mono recordings, and the imbalance is very obvious. I have always heard of pots having channel imbalance at the lowest volumes, but this quite different, and not acceptable. So, back to Monoprice goes this replacement LP as well. I am starting to think that this amp is very cheaply made, and I am already thinking of buying the Schiit Mjolnir 2 instead. Why couldn't they just have put an Alps Blue Velvet pot in there, and done it right!! I am happy with Monoprice's customer service, but the Liquid Platinum is another story. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the LP, but the crappy parts are really starting to bother me. As it stands now, I can not recommend this amp to anyone, as I am not confident in the build quality at all.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,608 of 5,150
I have babied my LP, and only used the suggested tubes, so go figure I am the one with issues. :wink: Guess what, my new replacement has issues with the balance of the volume pot! At first I thought this one was better, but this one is even worse. The channel imbalance happens at about 9:30 on the dial, and I can just barely move the dial from 9:30 to 9:35, and the sound jumps from being balanced to getting stronger in the right channel. I listened with some mono recordings, and the imbalance is very obvious. I have always heard of pots having channel imbalance at the lowest volumes, but this quite different, and not acceptable. So, back to Monoprice goes this replacement LP as well. I am starting to think that this amp is very cheaply made, and I am already thinking of buying the Schiit Mjolnir 2 instead. Why couldn't they just have put an Alps Blue Velvet pot in there, and done it right!! I am happy with Monoprice's customer service, but the Liquid Platinum is another story. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the LP, but the crappy parts are really starting to bother me. As it stands now, I can not recommend this amp to anyone, as I am not confident in the build quality at all.
If you can I'd recommend a MJ 2, has a few positives compared to the LP. Have you tried different tubes to see if it exhibits the imbalance problem?

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,609 of 5,150
If you can I'd recommend a MJ 2, has a few positives compared to the LP. Have you tried different tubes to see if it exhibits the imbalance problem?
I am really looking at the MJ2 and most likely will be going that route, as it seems like everything I want and need for my particular headphones, and is a perfect match for my DAC (Gumby).

I have not tried another set of tubes yet, because I was so pissed last night I had to take a break from messing with it. Those same tubes however gave me no issues with channel imbalance on the first LP. I am not shipping the amp back until tomorrow, so I am going to try another pair of tubes tonight, and see if that was the issue. It sure seems like the cheap crappy pot is the issue, and I will confirm that tonight.

Thanks for the tip and suggestion!

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,610 of 5,150
I am really looking at the MJ2 and most likely will be going that route, as it seems like everything I want and need for my particular headphones, and is a perfect match for my DAC (Gumby).

I have not tried another set of tubes yet, because I was so pissed last night I had to take a break from messing with it. Those same tubes however gave me no issues with channel imbalance on the first LP. I am not shipping the amp back until tomorrow, so I am going to try another pair of tubes tonight, and see if that was the issue. It sure seems like the cheap crappy pot is the issue, and I will confirm that tonight.

Thanks for the tip and suggestion!
No problem, I'd recommend noting the channel imbalance and see if the imbalance switches channels when you switch your current set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back