Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 9, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #2,626 of 5,150
Thanks boss. Thats high praise. I have an Auteur on the way.....However, Im always on the hunt for some new cans. Plz feel free to suggest a pair or two that might pair well with my LP and my new Hagerman Audio TUBA.

LP AND the Tuba? You live life right!
In the last five years I have bought over 20 pairs of headphones and most were disappointments to me.

My current favourites are:

1) Grado GH2's via my Ear+ HD II amp (similar to your tuba). I almost bought the Tuba but mine was cheaper and made in Canada.

2) Focal Elex's via anything... except my tube amp. But they are Amazing

3) HiFiman Sundara's just arrived this week. Killer sale and I love what they're doing...except with the tube amp. Not a vocals headphone, but they are very special

4) Fostex TH-610's. Bassy, but a bit sloppy. The SMSL SP200 cleans them up nicely.

I LOVE my Koss system from Drop, but in my case a Schiit Loki is a necessity in the chain. It really fills the sound out.

Too bad we didn't live closer :smile:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #2,627 of 5,150
I would also like to chime in regarding the channel imbalance issue mentioned above. Ive been running my LP extensively for the last 3 months and so far its been rock solid. With that being said, I have indeed noticed a very minor (extremely minor) channel imbalance. Almost 51-49 favoring my right ear. Whats surprising to me is that, I only notice it when i m playing my planars like LCD-X, AEON 2 Closed and Sendy Aiva. All of dynamics like Focal Clear, hd 660s, hd 598 sound accurate and dead center. I honestly dont know what can cause this. I am currently rolling a pair of JJ E88cc and previously rolled some 7308 Amperex PQ and Orange globes. Results are same for all the tubes.
My channel imbalance issues happen with my harder to drive planers as well, and not my easier to drive dynamics. I blame it on the cheap pot, and I bet lots more LP owners have it, and just don’t notice. Sure wish they would have gone with an Alps Blue Velvet. My second replacement unit is scheduled to arrive on Monday, so fingers crossed it is a good one. I need/want that sweet Cavalli magic in my life again. I will say that if you bought one new from Monoprice, there are no worries about there customer service. Monoprice’s customer service has been excellent!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,628 of 5,150
My channel imbalance issues happen with my harder to drive planers as well, and not my easier to drive dynamics. I blame it on the cheap pot, and I bet lots more LP owners have it, and just don’t notice. Sure wish they would have gone with an Alps Blue Velvet. My second replacement unit is scheduled to arrive on Monday, so fingers crossed it is a good one. I need/want that sweet Cavalli magic in my life again. I will say that if you bought one new from Monoprice, there are no worries about there customer service. Monoprice’s customer service has been excellent!
Interesting -- I've had 3 LPs (first unit which died, warranty replacement, spare which I ordered on an Amazon sale during the warranty replacement period and then sold). None had notable channel imbalance above (say) 8:00 or 8:30 on the pot. Now whether there is/was any imbalance ... ???

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #2,629 of 5,150
Interesting -- I've had 3 LPs (first unit which died, warranty replacement, spare which I ordered on an Amazon sale during the warranty replacement period and then sold). None had notable channel imbalance above (say) 8:00 or 8:30 on the pot. Now whether there is/was any imbalance ... ???
That is reassuring that all 3 of yours did not have issues. Did you ever get to around 10:45 - 11 on the pot? That is where my 2nd one has serious imbalance issues. Another interesting thing about the 2 Defective LP's I have had now, is that the volume control or settings to get to acceptable listening levels, were quite different with the same DAC, tubes and headphones. On my first unit, I could barely go past 10 on the dial, with the second unit I could go quite a bit higher around 11:30. The pots even felt different, the first one had more resistance and the second turned with hardly any pressure at all.

3rd one has to be the charm, at least I really hope it is. :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed: I am really missing those incredible vocals, and Monday can't come quick enough. . .

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,630 of 5,150
@Wes S - I am using a passive preamp between my DAC and the LP, so basically I could set the LP volume to whatever position it is working well and balanced, and then control the actual volume levels from the preamp (which uses a good quality ALPS pot).
Obviously, that adds to the cost and tidiness of the entire setup, but if that helps the sound / balance........

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,631 of 5,150
@Wes S - I am using a passive preamp between my DAC and the LP, so basically I could set the LP volume to whatever position it is working well and balanced, and then control the actual volume levels from the preamp (which uses a good quality ALPS pot).
Obviously, that adds to the cost and tidiness of the entire setup, but if that helps the sound / balance........

I have a similar setup, but my preamp is less fancy than yours; I use a Schiit SYS.

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,632 of 5,150
Do you mind sharing which preamp you own please? Or any pre amp that works well with the LP?

Apr 11, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,633 of 5,150
I have a similar setup, but my preamp is less fancy than yours; I use a Schiit SYS.
I paid WAY more than the price of Schiit SYS... :wink:

Do you mind sharing which preamp you own please? Or any pre amp that works well with the LP?
Mine was custom-built. The guy is in Portugal, and is not taking any orders until things calm down over there (I was trying to custom order something else, and was asked to wait a few weeks...)
The short answer to your question @shafat777 - ANY preamp should work! Mine is SE (RCA-to-RCA) because my DAC is NOT balanced. In your case, since the LP has both SE and Balanced inputs - choose according to your source (DAC).

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2,634 of 5,150
That is reassuring that all 3 of yours did not have issues. Did you ever get to around 10:45 - 11 on the pot? That is where my 2nd one has serious imbalance issues. Another interesting thing about the 2 Defective LP's I have had now, is that the volume control or settings to get to acceptable listening levels, were quite different with the same DAC, tubes and headphones. On my first unit, I could barely go past 10 on the dial, with the second unit I could go quite a bit higher around 11:30. The pots even felt different, the first one had more resistance and the second turned with hardly any pressure at all.

3rd one has to be the charm, at least I really hope it is. :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed: I am really missing those incredible vocals, and Monday can't come quick enough. . .
My rig is similar to @Zachik ‘s — passive preamp between DACs & amps. I mostly set volume @ 12:00 and adjust volume on the preamp.
Amusingly, the amp maxes out @ about 3:00 as I discovered when using it to drive HE-6se.

Again, no notable imbalance above 8:00ish.

Apr 12, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #2,635 of 5,150
My rig is similar to @Zachik ‘s — passive preamp between DACs & amps. I mostly set volume @ 12:00 and adjust volume on the preamp.
Amusingly, the amp maxes out @ about 3:00 as I discovered when using it to drive HE-6se.

Again, no notable imbalance above 8:00ish.
Nice! A good passive preamp, with stepped attenuation might be in my future. I tried my Schiit Sys a while back as a passive pre, and it seemed to kill some of the dynamics, but I know that isn't really what it was designed for.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,636 of 5,150
I paid WAY more than the price of Schiit SYS... :wink:

Mine was custom-built. The guy is in Portugal, and is not taking any orders until things calm down over there (I was trying to custom order something else, and was asked to wait a few weeks...)
The short answer to your question @shafat777 - ANY preamp should work! Mine is SE (RCA-to-RCA) because my DAC is NOT balanced. In your case, since the LP has both SE and Balanced inputs - choose according to your source (DAC).
That is good advice, and I had forgot all about the passive pre, as I was so frustrated. I originally had planned to buy a good one, with stepped attenuation, but the added cost and space is limited, so I put it out of mind, but I might have to rethink on that.

Apr 12, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #2,637 of 5,150
Thanks for all the suggestions and info fellas! I am sorry for the negative post lately, and I have just been really frustrated. With all the craziness going on, it sure has been nice to be able to lock myself in my room and listen to some good tunes on great gear. So I really can't wait to get a proper functioning LP, so I can get back to my happy place. I do love the sound of this amp, and anyone that has read through this thread knows I am one of the LP's biggest fans. My 2nd replacement LP shows up tomorrow, and I am really hoping to get back to enjoying that sweet sound.

Happy Easter and Happy Listening!

Wes

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #2,638 of 5,150
And by any chance, youre still not happy with your LP, jsut sell or return it, and get yourself a TUBA. Ever since I got mine, my LP has been collecting dust.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #2,639 of 5,150
That is good advice, and I had forgot all about the passive pre, as I was so frustrated. I originally had planned to buy a good one, with stepped attenuation, but the added cost and space is limited, so I put it out of mind, but I might have to rethink on that.
Wes - mine does not have stepped attenuation. Just a good quality ALPS pot.
I personally do not like the steps, and rather have smooth motion. Lower cost is another plus :wink:

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #2,640 of 5,150
I am sorry for the negative post lately, and I have just been really frustrated.
You do NOT need to apologize, IMHO. Audiophiles are perfectionists for starts, and have OCD in many cases :wink:
Regardless, and joking aside - $700 amp should not use a crappy pot!! That is NOT a $99 Schiit amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back