Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 31, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #2,296 of 5,171
I see that you also have the BHC w/SB... how would that compare to the LP?
Hey there,

The BHC Speedball, has a bit bigger stage, is a little smoother, and more 3 dimensional, with better seperation, using my Aeolus. The LP however, is a little stronger in the bass, and the mids are just as good, but a little more forward, and not quite as 3 dimensional. The overall tonality of both amps, is really close with the LP being a bit more neutral, with both sounding hauntingly lifelike in the mids. They both have their strengths, but I prefer the BHC with my Aeolus (300 ohm dynamic), and the LP with my Ori/Blackwood/Alpha Prime (50 ohm planars). However, I would be happy with either one, using my Aeolus. Of course some of this can change a bit, with tube rolling.

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,299 of 5,171
So I rolled in CV2492 yesterday. The tube is still new and I didn’t have extended listen but can definitely say that these tubes have energy in treble and is airy. Anyone who thinks their LP is laid back should try out these tubes or if you own pair of darker cans or if you are in mood to listen to music with more energy up top then roll in these tubes.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #2,300 of 5,171
So I rolled in CV2492 yesterday. The tube is still new and I didn’t have extended listen but can definitely say that these tubes have energy in treble and is airy. Anyone who thinks their LP is laid back should try out these tubes or if you own pair of darker cans or if you are in mood to listen to music with more energy up top then roll in these tubes.
Yep, I prefer my Empyrean w/ LP/Brimar CV-2492 for exactly the reasons you mention.

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2,301 of 5,171
Did they fix the gain issue yet?
I think the new one only has power brick from a new Supplier and no change in internals. You may need some preamp.

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,302 of 5,171

I have been really surprised lately as well about how effective tube rolling with the LP is. ZMF Auteurs sound congested, and not very lively with some NOS Holy Grail Reflektors I have, while the HD 800s sounds great and has a fantastic mid-presentation. But when I switch some NOS 60's Telefunkens the Auteur has a very holographic soundstage and the high end has some serious magic going on without sacrificing some of the best bass-mids I have ever heard.

I keep meaning to do a longer post about tube rolling with the LP, but have an infant at home, have been auditioning a variety of cans to find endgame, and just haven't had time to A-B test enough to give clear or useful thoughts. About to get an Aeolus in the mix for testing with Auteur and HD 800s, will try to be a bit more mindful of what tubes I land on for each can and the differences I notice.

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #2,303 of 5,171
Aug 29, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,304 of 5,171
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,305 of 5,171
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,306 of 5,171
I have been really surprised lately as well about how effective tube rolling with the LP is. ZMF Auteurs sound congested, and not very lively with some NOS Holy Grail Reflektors I have, while the HD 800s sounds great and has a fantastic mid-presentation. But when I switch some NOS 60's Telefunkens the Auteur has a very holographic soundstage and the high end has some serious magic going on without sacrificing some of the best bass-mids I have ever heard.

I keep meaning to do a longer post about tube rolling with the LP, but have an infant at home, have been auditioning a variety of cans to find endgame, and just haven't had time to A-B test enough to give clear or useful thoughts. About to get an Aeolus in the mix for testing with Auteur and HD 800s, will try to be a bit more mindful of what tubes I land on for each can and the differences I notice.
My current favorite tube for this amp, has now become the Bugle Boy Holland ECC88 D getters, from the 50's. The Bugle Boy, has dethroned my beloved Brimar CV2492.

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #2,307 of 5,171
My current favorite tube for this amp, has now become the Bugle Boy Holland ECC88 D getters, from the 50's. The Bugle Boy, has dethroned my beloved Brimar CV2492.
Just to add, a little something about tube rolling - this amp is very transparent and really lets you hear different tubes, and is very responsive to tube rolling, as stated by members already.

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,309 of 5,171

Thanks for the tip! Do you like those with your Aeolus? I have an Aeolus on the way that I am auditioning against my Auteur and HD 800s, would love to treat it to some tubes that pair nicely.

Aug 29, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,310 of 5,171
I am in the market to purchase one of these. Debating picking up a used one on the forum here but worried about performance issues or shipping issues to Canada.. not sure there is a Canadian vendor up here. Amazon.ca new is super expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back