Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 20, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #2,266 of 5,150
I actually like this amp better using rcas between my dac and amp. Dac is an Exogal. Maybe I need better cabling as using Kimber Hero in balanced and quite honestly disappointing - dull and closed in sounding. Rcas comparing to are fairly inexpensive Dueland interconnects but bring back the light and dynamics to music.

Have been using balanced headphone cable - made a good upgrade over stock headphone cable (ZMF)

So what balanced cables work well for you?
Finally another head-fier with an Exogal Comet dac! These things are ridiculously underrated amongst the head-fi community and I don’t understand why. Anyway, unlike most dacs, the Exogal outputs the same Vrms from its balanced and single-ended outputs, (most dacs have double the Vrms from their balanced output) while the LP uses a phase-splitter at its se input to amplify the incoming signal. So the Liquid Platinum’s inputs are designed to equalize an output power discrepancy that the Exogal doesn’t have. Thus when I use a single-ended chain from the Exogal to the LP it is twice as loud as going balanced from the dac to the amp. (This is all in reference to using the balanced headphone output on the LP btw.) I also preferred to use the se input on the LP from my Exogal—I found more play on the volume knob and a livelier sound from the amp. So long story short, it’s not your cables, it’s this dac and amp combo running balanced that present unique issues. I’d love to try the LP with a different balanced dac—like the Gumby I used to have—to take better advantage of the fully balanced chain, but not enough to get rid of my Exogal Comet anytime soon!

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #2,267 of 5,150
Happy Saturday!

My Alpha Prime and I, are getting reacquainted, with the Gumby and LP combo. :darthsmile: Love me some tube glow!
20190713_080137_zpsfyyooodm.jpg
Nice setup! Is this the multibit version

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #2,268 of 5,150
Jul 22, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #2,269 of 5,150
Any other tubes recommended that don't break the bank( < $100 Pr), but have great detail, expensive soundstage and not too warm, even slightly bright? I have the Gold Lions, while an improvement they are not quite there. I wish I could find the Brimar's domestically, as I will not have enough time to import them before I have to decided whether to keep this amp.

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #2,270 of 5,150
Any other tubes recommended that don't break the bank( < $100 Pr), but have great detail, expensive soundstage and not too warm, even slightly bright? I have the Gold Lions, while an improvement they are not quite there. I wish I could find the Brimar's domestically, as I will not have enough time to import them before I have to decided whether to keep this amp.
Brimar tubes are warm. Many (myself included) love it, but since you're looking for non-warm tubes - I suggest you do not even consider Brimar :wink:

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2,271 of 5,150
Have a pair of Mullard Mitcham E88CC in the classifieds here, but they are warm tubes like the Brimar CV2492 and not your desired sound sig. If your open to using socket savers and 12A*7 to ECC88 adapters the Telefunken ECC82 and Siemens ECC82 fit your description And are in my signature. If your not into the adapter scene that's cool too. I can make some recommendations on 6DJ8 variants if you want?

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,272 of 5,150
Brimar tubes are warm. Many (myself included) love it, but since you're looking for non-warm tubes - I suggest you do not even consider Brimar :wink:
I think this is relative. My Brimar CV-2492s are not as warm as my Siemens E88CCs or CCa tubes. The Brimar pair better with my Empyrean, which appreciate the Siemens warmth less compared with my HEKv2, and especially my Utopia and Auteur. Ether 2 are pretty happy either way.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,273 of 5,150
I think this is relative. My Brimar CV-2492s are not as warm as my Siemens E88CCs or CCa tubes. The Brimar pair better with my Empyrean, which appreciate the Siemens warmth less compared with my HEKv2, and especially my Utopia and Auteur. Ether 2 are pretty happy either way.
There are a couple different Brimar CV2492 versions out there as well. One is real, and the other is Russian made, so it depends on that as well.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #2,275 of 5,150
Yeah those British CV2492 have "KB/AD" on the paint. Rochester iirc?
The KB/AD is a good indicator, that they are the good ones. I have seen Mullard and Russian's with the CV2492, but they did not have the KB/AD.

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #2,276 of 5,150
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,277 of 5,150
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,278 of 5,150

Look for something like the Tungsram 6922. You can purchase a pair off eBay for that price. Be sure to buy from a seller that allows you to return tubes in case you run into any issues.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,280 of 5,150
It looks like this UK based E-bay seller no longer has these Brimar CCa listed.
The auction description says CCa, but the tubes say CV-2492.

And you just need to keep watching. He puts a pair every couple of weeks (or less). But he doesn't have a single auction listing all his stock -- as in 'xx available'.

GLTY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back