Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 5, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #2,056 of 5,150
There are several people who enjoy the the pairing of the LP with the Ether 2. I’ll be the voice of dissension and say I’m not one of them. The amp pairs well with the Verum 1, HEX V2, and Ananda but find that the Ether 2 are almost as slow as the HD650s on it. Seems like it needs a fast solid state or fast tube hybrid to really bring the most out of it.

You don’t like the 650 on the LP? Interesting!

Thought that amp had no flaws. Or sometimes it’s talked about like that.

So what is a fast tube hybrid good for the 650 (or my Atticus)?

May 5, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #2,057 of 5,150

I thought the LP, was a fast hybrid? Tube rolling and Dac pairing, can change things.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #2,058 of 5,150
You don’t like the 650 on the LP? ...
Difference of opinion here. I really like LP/HD6xx pairing. First time I’ve thought HD-6xx deserved the hype.
...So what is a fast tube hybrid good for the 650 (or my Atticus)?
MJ2 I guess?

May 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #2,059 of 5,150

I never mentioned that I didn’t enjoy the HD650 from the LP, I mentioned that the Ether feels as slow as the HD650 on the LP. For example - the Ananda, HEK V2, and Verum One feel fast out of the LP, the Ether 2 feels sluggish in comparison. I’ve also tried most of the top holy grail tubes: Siemens CCa, PW Amperex, Telefunken e188cc, even my quickest Russian tubes but I have the suspicion that it would pair better with the Gilmore Lite MK 2. The AFOs felt the same way out of the LP but were fast and light footed out of MK2.

Really that’s my only complaint but one that makes me want to crack the whip on it.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,060 of 5,150
I never mentioned that I didn’t enjoy the HD650 from the LP, I mentioned that the Ether feels as slow as the HD650 on the LP. For example - the Ananda, HEK V2, and Verum One feel fast out of the LP, the Ether 2 feels sluggish in comparison. I’ve also tried most of the top holy grail tubes: Siemens CCa, PW Amperex, Telefunken e188cc, even my quickest Russian tubes but I have the suspicion that it would pair better with the Gilmore Lite MK 2. The AFOs felt the same way out of the LP but were fast and light footed out of MK2.

Really that’s my only complaint but one that makes me want to crack the whip on it.
I hear nothing but good things about that Gilmore. Dang, those sure are some holy grail tubes! I am jealous!

May 5, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #2,061 of 5,150
I hear nothing but good things about that Gilmore. Dang, those sure are some holy grail tubes! I am jealous!

The Gilmore Lite MK2 is a bit of a strange beast. I didn’t like the HD650 paired with it because it felt too warm and slow. Paired the the AFO and it had much better synergy with it. The tone, timbre, and speed was fantastic. It’s a great amp for the price. So is the LP.

Difference of opinion here. I really like LP/HD6xx pairing. First time I’ve thought HD-6xx deserved the hype.

MJ2 I guess?

Of course. My ears and gear may just make things sound much different and I respect your opinion on it. I enjoy the HD650 out of it but the planars much more.

May 6, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #2,062 of 5,150
Hello!
I broke a tube yesterday by dropping one of my kids toys on the left tube... :angry:
Does anyone know where I can replace them?
Is this a good time to swap tubes? If so, any quick recommendations for a no-fuss type guy that just wants a nice mid-tier tube for a relaxing audio session!?

Thanks

James

May 7, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #2,064 of 5,150
I have read a few positive posts pairing the LP with Ether 2's.
Anyone else want to chime in on this combo?

I owned the Ether 2 and LP at the same time for a little while. I first heard the pairing at CanJam RMAF and thought it sounded really nice.

At home, my opinion changed a little. I thought the Ether 2 sounded a bit boring out of the LP. The LP brought a little warmth to the lower midrange but, at the same time, the upper midrange seemed to be held back a little. It didn't sound bad, just more laid back than I prefer. Treble was extended well enough but also held back just a little bit; it was completely inoffensive. Bass had good extension and was very flat all the way down but sounded a little weak in terms of impact. Sub bass impact was lacking as well.

For my own preferences, I think I'd prefer to hear the Ether 2 out of a more neutral, solid state amp. For example, out of the headphone out of my Soekris 1541, bass extension and impact was a little improved. The HeadAmp GSX Mini or Gilmore Lite mk2 immediately come to mind as amps I'd love to try with the Ether 2.

May 7, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,065 of 5,150
I like the Ether 2 on my Liquid Platinum. I am relatively new to the tube rolling game, but of the tubes I own I prefer the Sylvania 6922 D-getters with them the most. I find the Amperex 6922 PQ and Siemens 6922 E188CC I own a bit too "polite" for the Ether 2. As for the GS-X Mini and the Ether 2, I had a few minutes with that combo at Axpona a couple of weeks ago and wasn't totally blown away by the pairing. Obviously a big show like Axpona is a less than ideal environment for auditioning an open back headphone, but I didn't come away being as impressed as I hoped I would be. The GS-X Mini is still on my short list of amps and I want to hear the production version, but I am really happy with the LP for now.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #2,066 of 5,150
I just got my LP and there is a channel imbalance until almost 10 o'clock and then a small imbalance continues all the way through the volume pot. I just requested a replacement from amazon. Hopefully the next on is better. This am sounds great so far. Most of my cans are relatively easy to drive so I can't deal with the volume imbalance at 10 o'clock.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,067 of 5,150
I just got my LP and there is a channel imbalance until almost 10 o'clock and then a small imbalance continues all the way through the volume pot. I just requested a replacement from amazon. Hopefully the next on is better. This am sounds great so far. Most of my cans are relatively easy to drive so I can't deal with the volume imbalance at 10 o'clock.
Yes, there of been a few reports of that problem. For me the imbalance is pretty minor, only up until about 8 o’clock.

It’s unfortunate that the switchable gain feature didn’t make it into the final product. A lot of LP owners have gone to some sort of attenuation. I use a passive preamp.

But channel imbalance to 10 o’clock is unacceptable. As you said, hopefully the replacement amp won’t have that problem.

May 11, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #2,068 of 5,150
Yes, there of been a few reports of that problem. For me the imbalance is pretty minor, only up until about 8 o’clock.

It’s unfortunate that the switchable gain feature didn’t make it into the final product. A lot of LP owners have gone to some sort of attenuation. I use a passive preamp.

But channel imbalance to 10 o’clock is unacceptable. As you said, hopefully the replacement amp won’t have that problem.

It is strange to me there is not an imbalance really until that point and then there is a large jump in volume output and an imbalance until about 11 o'clock. The replacement will be here tomorrow. I am happy that I bought this through amazon though much easier to get it replaced. If I have the same issue I might need to just try and go with the pro Ican. I have heard many people that prefer the CLP over the ican though. I don't get my Onyx until monday and I will be out of town for the week. I can't wait to see how they do together.

May 11, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,069 of 5,150
It is strange to me there is not an imbalance really until that point and then there is a large jump in volume output and an imbalance until about 11 o'clock. The replacement will be here tomorrow. I am happy that I bought this through amazon though much easier to get it replaced. If I have the same issue I might need to just try and go with the pro Ican. I have heard many people that prefer the CLP over the ican though. I don't get my Onyx until monday and I will be out of town for the week. I can't wait to see how they do together.
Interesting. @runeight expressed dismay regarding what seem to be QA problems with the volume pots when this issue first came up:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...-by-alex-cavalli.876406/page-80#post-14706735

I look forward to hearing your impressions of Onyx/LP.

May 12, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #2,070 of 5,150
I'm thinking of changing my jotenheim to an mj2.

I am intrigued about the monoprice liquid platinum. Though, I'm kinda bummed to there are no balanced pre outs to feed my presonus Eris e5's

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back