Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 13, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,071 of 5,150
Almost every amp has channel imbalance when low on the dial. It's not an amp flaw so much as a reality of potentiometers.

If you hear imbalance higher on the dial, turn your headphones backwards. Same imbalance?

I was super annoyed at an amp a few years ago until I tried that and discovered I hear about 1.5dB worse out of my left ear.

May 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,073 of 5,150
May 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,075 of 5,150
May 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,076 of 5,150
May 13, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #2,077 of 5,150
Hi Everyone

Can I roll these tubes in the LP without a converter, i.e., just plug them in?

Valvo Philips ECC88 6DJ8

If I need a converter which type do I need?

Also anyone with experience of them?

Thanks

MFM
I'm not sure how different is Valvo philips from Valvo Amperex but I'm using Valvo Amperex E88CC 1960. It sounds good. Has nice extension to lower as well as higher frequency.

May 13, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #2,078 of 5,150
Almost every amp has channel imbalance when low on the dial. It's not an amp flaw so much as a reality of potentiometers.

If you hear imbalance higher on the dial, turn your headphones backwards. Same imbalance?

I was super annoyed at an amp a few years ago until I tried that and discovered I hear about 1.5dB worse out of my left ear.
Ya that's true...because of high gain the imbalance at low volume level is more apparent in LP then in some other amp.
Apart from hearing even L/R cups of headphones have different decibel level across frequency range. So we need to test across headphones and by changing left and right cable to pin point on amplifier.

May 14, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #2,079 of 5,150
I have read a few positive posts pairing the LP with Ether 2's.
Anyone else want to chime in on this combo?
Withdrawn due to parting ways with LP and Sendy for something I like much better.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #2,080 of 5,150
I'd be interested in impressions from other members on the Ether 2/LP combo as well.
Currently, I am trying out the SendyAudio Aiva planars which sound wonderful with the LP in balanced mode fitted with PCC189 tubes. If anyone has compared the sound of both the Sendy Aiva and the Ether 2's when used in balanced mode with the LP it would be great to know your impressions and what tubes you were using.
Update: Sent the Aiva headphones back for a refund. They have good articulation which makes it possible to understand lyrics in pop music and to reproduce convincingly instrument timbres in string chamber music better than on other headphones i have tried, but in single ended mode with the Woo WA6 they distorted and fell apart in the octaves above middle C on many recordings of solo classical piano music which I listen to more than anything else. Maybe it was just an issue of amp/headphone incompatibility? I have also parted ways with the LP. The sound of the LP is not great enough to make it possible for me to live with its overly aggressive volume control. Try a revised Topping L30 and you may like it as much or even more than the LP. I certainly do.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #2,081 of 5,150
Anyone curious if the ZMF Aeolus pair well with the LP? Well, I can confirm, that it is a match made in heaven!

Tidal HiFi + Gungnir Multibit + Liquid Platinum (Brimar CV2492 tubes) + ZMF Aeolus = END GAME (For Me :o2smile:)

May 16, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,082 of 5,150
Anyone curious if the ZMF Aeolus pair well with the LP? Well, I can confirm, that it is a match made in heaven!

Tidal HiFi + Gungnir Multibit + Liquid Platinum (Brimar CV2492 tubes) + ZMF Aeolus = END GAME (For Me :o2smile:)
Am I seeing a new avatar?

BTW, this makes me want to swap my Brimars back in to test with my Empyrean as that's one pairing I hadn't tried.

May 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,083 of 5,150

BTW, this makes me want to swap my Brimars back in to test with my Empyrean as that's one pairing I hadn't tried.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts on this. I was thinking about the LP for my incoming Empyrean's but then got distracted with the Feliks gear.

May 16, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,084 of 5,150

Yes sir! Those are my new babies (ZMF Aeolus), in my avatar. I am actually curious, how the Empyrean would do with the LP, and the high gain. I was a bit shocked how easy the Aeolus, are to drive, as in not much play with volume control, but still amazing pairing.

May 16, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,085 of 5,150
Would be curious to hear your thoughts on this. I was thinking about the LP for my incoming Empyrean's but then got distracted with the Feliks gear.
Up to this point I've preferred my Empyrean driven by my Bryston BHA-1 SS amp. I find the Empy/LP combo with my (preferred) Siemens tubes a bit over-lush. Elsewhere I've said that it seems I prefer my sound damp not wet.

I'll swap in the Brimars this weekend. I'd been meaning to try it and that post kicked me gently in the posterior. I felt the Brimars were a bit leaner with my Utopia (and Auteur), and thus not preferred, since I was trying for 'more musical/less analytical' there.

I have actually been meaning to roll through all my tubes again with Empy. Wondering if they're the cans which will let me appreciate the stock EH tubes which I haven't swapped in since the first day I got the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back