Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,011 of 5,150
Hi Everyone - just purchased one of these beauties on Monoprice with the restock they just made - got a newbie question - my source is Tidal via a MacBook Pro - the latest MacBook Pro with a USB-C USB port or the generic headphone line in - I don't own a DAC (last amp was a Lyr 3 with built in DAC) but can purchase one.

Two questions: what cable to go from the MacBook Pro to the amp (or DAC)?
What DAC should I buy (trying to keep it around the $300 mark)?

They LP will be powering a pair of Mr Speakers Ether 2 or an Aeon Open Flow.

Big thanks for all info.

MFM

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #2,012 of 5,150
Hi Everyone - just purchased one of these beauties on Monoprice with the restock they just made - got a newbie question - my source is Tidal via a MacBook Pro - the latest MacBook Pro with a USB-C USB port or the generic headphone line in - I don't own a DAC (last amp was a Lyr 3 with built in DAC) but can purchase one.

Big thanks for all info.

MFM
SMSL SU-8 V2 is a balanced DAC with remote for 200 or 249 from Massdrop or Amazon respectively.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,013 of 5,150

Big thanks for all info.

MFM
better you get DAC with ability to control volume or invest in a preamp as well because you have efficient headphones and there is no gain switch in LP.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2,015 of 5,150
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,016 of 5,150
Thank you - one other quick question - I don't have an XLR cable for either of my HPs - assume the balanced quality is lost but will still function?

Chewing my way through the full thread and found this so ignore my question:

FYI guys, you can run the Liquid Platinum with any of the following:

1. Balanced input to balanced output
2. Balanced input to SE output
3. SE input to SE output
4. SE input to balanced output

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,017 of 5,150
Thank you - one other quick question - I don't have an XLR cable for either of my HPs - assume the balanced quality is lost but will still function?
Get the balanced cable! Liquid Platinum is meant to be used balanced. If you only intend to use the se output on the amp then get a different amp.
+1 on the dac with volume control or pre-amp too. Otherwise, with those low impedance MrSpeakers cans you’ll be maxing out the LP’s volume knob at 9 o’clock.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #2,018 of 5,150
Get the balanced cable! Liquid Platinum is meant to be used balanced. If you only intend to use the se output on the amp then get a different amp.
+1 on the dac with volume control or pre-amp too. Otherwise, with those low impedance MrSpeakers cans you’ll be maxing out the LP’s volume knob at 9 o’clock.
Good advice.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #2,019 of 5,150
Chewing my way through the full thread and found this so ignore my question:

FYI guys, you can run the Liquid Platinum with any of the following:

1. Balanced input to balanced output
2. Balanced input to SE output
3. SE input to SE output
4. SE input to balanced output
You can run it all 4 ways, but 1 and 4 are the only way to go, or I would get another amp.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #2,020 of 5,150

Big thanks for all info.

MFM

If you want to run the LP directly from the MBP, you’ll need a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable but that would not be advised considering the quality of the amp and headphones. You’ll want a dedicated line out signal to power the amp.

Unfortunately, with the MBPs, you’re likely going to need a USB-C to USB-blank cable of some sort to feed a digital signal to any DAC you might buy. Since most USB DACs are on an A or B or micro standard, what you need depends on your DAC’s needs. But the options are plentiful. If you need a DAC that does fixed and pre outs as well (and I’m not sure if that’s the case), I’d look at the affordable R2R-11 or NFB-11. They both have solid state amps built-in as well, but the line out is excellent even if it’s single-ended. Shouldn’t make a big difference to the LP.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2,021 of 5,150

Big thanks for all info.

MFM

You’ll want to hold off on the cable purchase until you select your dac and then make the choice that works best with your dac.

I don’t mean to make you increase your budget but given your investment in headphones and amp, you might consider a more expensive DAC. The thought behind that is getting the most from your source material so that the amp and headphones let it shine.

It will run fine off a 1/4” SE headphone cable. However, I’d start saving up for an XLR terminated cable. Forza Audio Works makes really nice cables that won’t be too crazy expense (relative to 3rd party cables).

But listen to the SE first and make your decision before investing more.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #2,024 of 5,150
Anyone using a SMSL SU-8 with LP?
I have SMSL SU-8 V2 got it from Massdrop but I am using Chord Quest with LP. However I connected it with LP today running HD600/Empyrean. I would say it works well with LP. Best thing about this DAC is it has Balanced out so you can go full balanced with LP as well as you get remote for volume control which is a plus since LP doesn't have the gain so you can control volume with the DAC.

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #2,025 of 5,150
I had the SU-8 with a LP. Good combo. And having adjustable volume on the dac is VERY useful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back