Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 31, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,981 of 5,150
The stock tubes are pretty good actually, especially if applying EQ to suite your taste. They do some things really well, being well extended and pretty neutral. If your happy as is, there's no pressing need to try tubes, great thing is if you want to try something out 3 months 6 months or 3 years from now you have options.

I have an excellent hardware EQ at my disposal that I've used with the stock tubes and found them quite nice, so I speak from experience. I've also tried a decent pair of NOS tubes and an ok pair. All 3 were enjoyable.

Good point. You have an RME ADI-2 right? I think that's my next purchase. I love the idea of an external EQ as with most software options you lose bit perfect transport to the DAC. Is it fairly easy to adjust your EQ on the fly?

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #1,982 of 5,150
Yeah, it's very easy, you can also save preset's and name them, up to 20 for different headphones or music genres. I love the ADI-2 and is easily the best piece of gear i've ever owned in 15 years of this hobby.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #1,983 of 5,150
Congrats!

IEMs are pretty much a no go without some type of attenuation. With my preamp my IT-04s sound great, although I mostly use it with my full-size cans.

You will probably hear a lot of varying opinions re: tubes. I found Genalex Gold Lions to be an interesting upgrade for reasonable money.
I am guessing you mean Genalex Gold Lion ECC88, NOT ECC82, right?

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,984 of 5,150
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,987 of 5,150
Gents I have an off topic DAC question for you all.

For any DAC you might have or want to have do you prefer the USB B(big square) connector or the USB C??

Most of the DACs I have seen use a B. Portable ones often use mini (older portables) or micro but I'm wondering what works best for what people have or might have.

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #1,988 of 5,150

For any DAC you might have or want to have do you prefer the USB B(big square) connector or the USB C??

Most of the DACs I have seen use a B. Portable ones often use mini (older portables) or micro but I'm wondering what works best for what people have or might have.

Thanks.
I always thought usb c seemed sturdier. I have had usb b ports that got loose over time.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,989 of 5,150
I'm not really sure I care I just wish there was more of a standard. I don't think either give any sonic advantage. That being said, right now I have more B type than C, but I guess C has the advantage of being orientation agnostic.

Short answer, I guess is C.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,990 of 5,150

Thanks.

Hi @runeight,

Personally & subjectively, I have had a lot of good experiences with USB Micro B & I have quite a few devices which use this with no issue.
I find standard B okay only.
I only have a couple USB C devices & so far they are okay to decent but it is too early to tell how they hold up for me over time.
Either Micro B or USB C are fast charge capable too for portable devices.

Regardless of USB connection, honestly, like with anything, it depends on implementation & how they are mounted in the chassis & PCB & had devices with a fair bit of wiggle from the onset.

So all I can say is, at the end of the day, manufacturer's choice though preferrably not standard B.

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #1,991 of 5,150

Thanks.
USB B because I already have them.

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,993 of 5,150
I still have spare USB B cables and my computer still uses the USB 3 standard. On the other hand I think that the USB type C standards will last longer than the older USB or USB 3 standards.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,995 of 5,150
I like B for my home/desktop DACs and C for portable ones. The physically bigger connection feels sturdier and I've never had an issue with a bad/loose connection with a B port.

I really just dislike mini and micro USB.

With the current trend, I would be completely fine to have all my DACs with USB C just for future-proofing.
USB C is a great upgrade compared to micro USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back