Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #1,996 of 5,150
I like B for my home/desktop DACs and C for portable ones. The physically bigger connection feels sturdier and I've never had an issue with a bad/loose connection with a B port.

I really just dislike mini and micro USB.

With the current trend, I would be completely fine to have all my DACs with USB C just for future-proofing.
USB C is a great upgrade compared to micro USB.

100% in agreement with everything @Schwibbles wrote! :)

Apr 4, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,997 of 5,150
USB-C for longevity, mechanical strength, and better performance requirements if you may be so inclined to use them moving forward.

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #1,998 of 5,150
Gotta throw my hat in for USB-C as well. I haven't had any issues replacing cables. They're dirt cheap and the connector is the best by far.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #2,000 of 5,150
Gents I have an off topic DAC question for you all.

For any DAC you might have or want to have do you prefer the USB B(big square) connector or the USB C??

Most of the DACs I have seen use a B. Portable ones often use mini (older portables) or micro but I'm wondering what works best for what people have or might have.

Thanks.
@runeight Given that it is you asking this question, may I in turn inquire whether there's some upcoming announcement behind the question, such as a possible Cavalli audio component (DAC/integrated Amp?) currently in the offing? I couldn't help asking, even though I am familiar with how some of the rules of secrecy about upcoming products work in the industry. I guess you might want to be as non-committal in your response as the appropriate protocols allow, but I just couldn't help asking.:)

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,001 of 5,150
For some reason when I use the balanced input on my Liquid Platinum the volume from the balanced output is about half that compared to using the se input. Depending on the headphones I’m usually around 9-10 o’clock on the volume dial w/the se input and at 12 and above w/the balanced input. When I use my Violectric V281 amp the volume is the same out of the balanced output no matter which input I use because the vrms is identical from both the balanced and se output of my dac. @runeight, Is this an intentional feature of the Liquid Platinum? It’s almost like a gain switch is being turned on and off when I switch from one input to the other. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #2,002 of 5,150
For some reason when I use the balanced input on my Liquid Platinum the volume from the balanced output is about half that compared to using the se input. Depending on the headphones I’m usually around 9-10 o’clock on the volume dial w/the se input and at 12 and above w/the balanced input. When I use my Violectric V281 amp the volume is the same out of the balanced output no matter which input I use because the vrms is identical from both the balanced and se output of my dac. @runeight, Is this an intentional feature of the Liquid Platinum? It’s almost like a gain switch is being turned on and off when I switch from one input to the other. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hello @Malcolm Riverside, reading your question, while I can't answer you, I take the chance to ask you about your impressions between the Liquid Platinum and Violectric V281. Are they complementary? Or the V281 would be more a do it all and the LP an extra flavour for some beats? Thank you! :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #2,003 of 5,150

It is not intentional so much as normal. What happens between RCA and Bal depends on the outputs of your source. Let's say a DAC. On most Bal DACs the Bal out is effectively twice the output of the RCA. But, some DACs the Bal and RCA are at the same level.

The LP SE In has a phase splitter which turns the SE to Bal before sending to amp. And this effectively doubles the amplitude of the signal. So if your Bal and RCA outs are the same amplitude then the RCA in will actually be louder.

On my DACs the SE is half the Bal so I can switch the inputs and not really notice that there was a change at all.

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #2,004 of 5,150
It is not intentional so much as normal. What happens between RCA and Bal depends on the outputs of your source. Let's say a DAC. On most Bal DACs the Bal out is effectively twice the output of the RCA. But, some DACs the Bal and RCA are at the same level.

The LP SE In has a phase splitter which turns the SE to Bal before sending to amp. And this effectively doubles the amplitude of the signal. So if your Bal and RCA outs are the same amplitude then the RCA in will actually be louder.

On my DACs the SE is half the Bal so I can switch the inputs and not really notice that there was a change at all.
Thank you for the rapid response and the cogent explanation. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
Does the equal amplitude of my dac’s outputs mean there is less benefit to using the balanced input on the LP then? Or are the benefits of going balanced into the amp less about extra power going in and more about getting a cleaner/quieter signal from my source to my headphones and avoiding the phase splitter?

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2,005 of 5,150
Thank you for the rapid response and the cogent explanation. You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
Does the equal amplitude of my dac’s outputs mean there is less benefit to using the balanced input on the LP then? Or are the benefits of going balanced into the amp less about extra power going in and more about getting a cleaner/quieter signal from my source to my headphones and avoiding the phase splitter?

MHO is, with a balanced amp go Bal in and Bal out. This is the amps native mode.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,007 of 5,150
Hello @Malcolm Riverside, reading your question, while I can't answer you, I take the chance to ask you about your impressions between the Liquid Platinum and Violectric V281. Are they complementary? Or the V281 would be more a do it all and the LP an extra flavour for some beats? Thank you! :)
The LP and the V281 are both great amps but they do have different strengths and qualities. As you’d expect when comparing amps so far apart in price, the more expensive V281 has a lot more features and sounds great so if you can only have one and got the dough, get that one is what I’d say. The Cavalli is well nigh unbeateable at it’s price point though, especially when you throw in the potential for improving/changing it’s sound that tube-rolling offers. Good luck finding one for sale though!
Anyway, both amps have lots of power and their respective balanced architecture is really well implemented. If you don’t have or plan to buy balanced headphone cables then you’d really be missing out on the full capability of these amps. The LP has great detail and what I’d call an intimate sonic presentation. It really puts you close to the music but I think sacrifices something in terms of imaging and separation around instruments compared to the V281 because of that close up sound. That may be something that could be addressed with fancier tubes than I have right now though—I’m rocking the Genalex Gold Lions. The V281 puts you at a little more distance from the music but it is more dynamic than the LP. I can be listening to something on the LP with my eyes closed just kind of taking in the music and then I’ll switch to the V281 for the same song and seconds later I’ll find my head bobbing along vigorously to the tune without even thinking about it. V281 also does bass at a best in class level, though the LP is no slouch itself. So, does all this make them complementary? I can’t quite say. If I could only have the V281 and one other amp I’d probably go with a straight tube amp as opposed to the hybrid LP, just to maximize the potential of all the different headphones out there. But if I was trying to decide between a tube and solid state amp and looking to not spend a grip, then the Liquid Platinum is an easy best of both worlds choice. Bottom line though is that I can’t think of many quality headphones that wouldn’t sound great on both these amps.

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #2,008 of 5,150
The LP and the V281 are both great amps but they do have different strengths and qualities. As you’d expect when comparing amps so far apart in price, the more expensive V281 has a lot more features and sounds great so if you can only have one and got the dough, get that one is what I’d say. The Cavalli is well nigh unbeateable at it’s price point though, especially when you throw in the potential for improving/changing it’s sound that tube-rolling offers. Good luck finding one for sale though!
Anyway, both amps have lots of power and their respective balanced architecture is really well implemented. If you don’t have or plan to buy balanced headphone cables then you’d really be missing out on the full capability of these amps. The LP has great detail and what I’d call an intimate sonic presentation. It really puts you close to the music but I think sacrifices something in terms of imaging and separation around instruments compared to the V281 because of that close up sound. That may be something that could be addressed with fancier tubes than I have right now though—I’m rocking the Genalex Gold Lions. The V281 puts you at a little more distance from the music but it is more dynamic than the LP. I can be listening to something on the LP with my eyes closed just kind of taking in the music and then I’ll switch to the V281 for the same song and seconds later I’ll find my head bobbing along vigorously to the tune without even thinking about it. V281 also does bass at a best in class level, though the LP is no slouch itself. So, does all this make them complementary? I can’t quite say. If I could only have the V281 and one other amp I’d probably go with a straight tube amp as opposed to the hybrid LP, just to maximize the potential of all the different headphones out there. But if I was trying to decide between a tube and solid state amp and looking to not spend a grip, then the Liquid Platinum is an easy best of both worlds choice. Bottom line though is that I can’t think of many quality headphones that wouldn’t sound great on both these amps.
Malcolm, how would you rate the Pendant in terms of being complimentary to the V281 and can you highlight how it compares to V281 with some of your (awesome) headphones?

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #2,010 of 5,150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back