Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,711 of 5,150
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So do you find the Mojo is a good enough DAC for the LP (vs getting a dedicated DAC)? Part of issue for me is lack of space on desk. So either a LP with Mojo or Lyr 3 with built in DAC appeals to me over an LP with a Bitfrost. They aren’t same size and wouldn’t stack from the looks of it and would take up tons of space.
Mojo with LP is very competent. The Bass and Mids are good and so is the imaging and soundstage.
You won’t feel that you are missing a thing and this will only be dwarfed by very high end system and definitely not by Lyr3
Also depends on the headphones you own. Schiit gears are bright in nature that’s their house signature.
I own 800s and I can’t use it with schiit amp. I found the treble piercing. Haven’t heard Lyr3 though.

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,712 of 5,150
I found the treble piercing. Haven’t heard Lyr3 though.
That is the reason I sold my Jotunheim. That, and the cold and clinical sounds signature.
The Lyr 3 is TOTALLY different!! Great amp. Not LP level, but very competent especially for its price bracket.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,713 of 5,150
Mojo with LP is very competent. The Bass and Mids are good and so is the imaging and soundstage.
You won’t feel that you are missing a thing and this will only be dwarfed by very high end system and definitely not by Lyr3
Also depends on the headphones you own. Schiit gears are bright in nature that’s their house signature.
I own 800s and I can’t use it with schiit amp. I found the treble piercing. Haven’t heard Lyr3 though.

awesome. Welll I’ll be using this setup with my new Atticus when it arrives. Should balance out Zach’s brooding beast perfectly.

If I get an Ananda down the line the SS Mojo would probably sound divine with the planar. Don’t think LP/Ananda would be ideal but will try it

Edit: Realized I should ask more about Line Out.

1. What does it do?
2. Why would I set it to 2V instead?
3. If I wanted to use the Mojo to connect to my Samsung E750BA Audio Dock through it’s 1/8” input, Line Out as well?

Appreciate the help

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #1,714 of 5,150
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So do you find the Mojo is a good enough DAC for the LP (vs getting a dedicated DAC)? Part of issue for me is lack of space on desk. So either a LP with Mojo or Lyr 3 with built in DAC appeals to me over an LP with a Bitfrost. They aren’t same size and wouldn’t stack from the looks of it and would take up tons of space.

Monitor riser's on amazon are about 15 bucks... mine was 30 but it's a dually. @Zachit I'd never call Jotunheim cold and clinical, it's a pretty warm amp overall, but the treble is slightly hot, works with HD650 but could be a problem for others. I can't recommend the Jotunheim integrated dac though, I owned the Multibit Module and the Gen1 balanced, I hear the Gen2 balanced is the best, but I was never impressed with the performance of the DAC. The ADI-2 is a way better AIO, albeit at much higher cost. LP will take the best dac you can throw at it.. it's got ton's of resolution and fine details. I recently listened to it with Iphone, PC Realtek 1150, Jotunheim balanced pre-out with multibit module, and an older tda1543x8 dac I had laying around. LP really shows the source alot and I could very easily hear differences between all of the above. And i'd rank them as follows

Iphone SE
PC Realtek 1150
TDA1543-X8 NOS (Teradak)
Jotunheim Multibit Balanced Pre-Out
Bimby Gen5
ADI-2 Dac

1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #1,715 of 5,150
Monitor riser's on amazon are about 15 bucks... mine was 30 but it's a dually. @Zachit I'd never call Jotunheim cold and clinical, it's a pretty warm amp overall, but the treble is slightly hot, works with HD650 but could be a problem for others. I can't recommend the Jotunheim integrated dac though, I owned the Multibit Module and the Gen1 balanced, I hear the Gen2 balanced is the best, but I was never impressed with the performance of the DAC. The ADI-2 is a way better AIO, albeit at much higher cost. LP will take the best dac you can throw at it.. it's got ton's of resolution and fine details. I recently listened to it with Iphone, PC Realtek 1150, Jotunheim balanced pre-out with multibit module, and an older tda1543x8 dac I had laying around. LP really shows the source alot and I could very easily hear differences between all of the above. And i'd rank them as follows

Iphone SE
PC Realtek 1150
TDA1543-X8 NOS (Teradak)
Bimby Gen5
ADI-2 Dac

Nice monitor riser!! Can you share the link for it?

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #1,716 of 5,150
Nice monitor riser!! Can you share the link for it?

It's a little bigger then i'd like, but it's very sturdy, and heavy, well made, affordable, black, and the vented design helps keep LP cool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN556G3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really liked this one too, honorable mention:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GZH1R...d_r=415dc691-3bfd-11e9-8d8d-ff7b87c6b25c&th=1

It's really hard to find anything smaller. I looked. Alot

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #1,717 of 5,150
Ok. So I have a Clarett 2Pre USB. It has great A-D D-A software and can decode up to very high bitrates. Wondering if I can use it as a DAC for the LP until I get a Gumby or something. This is what it says in the manual:

"LINE OUTPUTS 1 to 4 – four balanced analogue line outputs on 1⁄4” jack sockets; use TRS jacks for a balanced connection or TS jacks for unbalanced. Line Outputs 1 and 2 will generally be used for driving the main L and R speakers of your monitoring system, while Outputs 3 and 4can be used for connecting additional line level equipment (e.g., outboard FX processors). The signals routed to all the outputs may be defined in Focusrite Control."

Does this sound like it could work (in general and with Outputs 3/4 specifically I guess)? Or does the Line Out here not work like the Line Out for the Mojo (which I don't have yet :D)?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,718 of 5,150

Iphone SE
PC Realtek 1150
TDA1543-X8 NOS (Teradak)
Bimby Gen5
ADI-2 Dac

Looks nice

But doesnt it put strain on headphone wire.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #1,720 of 5,150
Also: I know this is a balanced amp. But if I'm not using a balanced DAC, do headphones benefit from using a balanced cable? Thanks!
Yes.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,722 of 5,150
@kumar402 : no not really, there's no undue stress placed on the cable. XLR are very robust, but I wouldent be concerned with 1/4 trs either.
@Wheel Hoss : there is a power benefit to running the balanced headphone output, regardless of input source, in this case it's substantial.
@TK16: I have a truly balanced DAC, but im not sure im willing to even try and hear a difference between single ended and balanced, probably none but perhaps a slight theoretical benefit to balanced input. Slightly, likely inaudibly better SNR (maybe -3 or 4 db).
though it must be understood most/all balanced source output are higher voltage so a higher perceived volume at same position on volume dial. This will very easily make it appear to be a higher quality input method, but once volume matched will likely disappear entirely. I use the balanced out of my dac because it's there, and because it's technically the best. Though i've been tempted to switch to single ended because I also run a pair of JBL LSR305's out of the same DAC, and they seem to have more benefit to the balanced connection (eliminates a slight hum), though I decided to just ground lift them and continue on single ended.

Edit: it should also be noted, that some DAC's have a superior balanced output then their single ended. If your particularly DAC has a better balanced output stage, it will obviously make a much bigger difference then a DAC that has excellent single ended and balanced output. With regards to said DAC's that DO have a better balanced output, it's not so much that their balanced is better, but that their single ended is lacking. This is a complicated topic with many considerations, so the story continues, some cheap pro interfaces, and cheaper balanced implementations (aka THX789) are not even balanced, but just accept balanced signal and convert it to single ended internally. If you have a DAC like this, there is likely zero benefit and more probable degradation in sound quality to use balanced. Keep in mind the original purpose of balanced gear was simply to eliminate hum and noise on extremely long cable runs 100, 200 FT runs. It was only adopted by headphone community to extract that last 2% of quality, we are talking tiny gains of 1-5 DB of better SNR. However, most headphone amplifier that implement balanced do so to the "Detriment" of their single ended output. Because the way balanced circuit works you basically need 2 of everything, 1 per channel in the analog amplification circuit, so easy solution for single ended output is to disable one side. Now you just cut the power output in half for SE. It is quite possible to design SE with huge power output though, like LYR3. 9 watt into 32 ohm.

It's a great time to be in the hobby, I remember when some of the first high end balanced headphone amps came out, before we were even using the 4 pin xlr standard. Some of headroom's end game gear put out like 1 watt, maybe 1.5 watts of power into balanced connection, and cost 3000$. Now a 100$ magni can put out more power then that, and likely sound as good or better doing it. Great times

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #1,723 of 5,150
@kumar402 : no not really, there's no undue stress placed on the cable. XLR are very robust, but I wouldent be concerned with 1/4 trs either.
@Wheel Hoss : there is a power benefit to running the balanced headphone output, regardless of input source, in this case it's substantial.
@TK16: I have a truly balanced DAC, but im not sure im willing to even try and hear a difference between single ended and balanced, probably none but perhaps a slight theoretical benefit to balanced input. Slightly, likely inaudibly better SNR (maybe -3 or 4 db).
though it must be understood most/all balanced source output are higher voltage so a higher perceived volume at same position on volume dial. This will very easily make it appear to be a higher quality input method, but once volume matched will likely disappear entirely. I use the balanced out of my dac because it's there, and because it's technically the best. Though i've been tempted to switch to single ended because I also run a pair of JBL LSR305's out of the same DAC, and they seem to have more benefit to the balanced connection (eliminates a slight hum), though I decided to just ground lift them and continue on single ended.
Only tested my gear in SE mode briefly, the MJ2 was running SE I believe (lower volume), but you can still use balanced cable on the MJ2. Not going to do any comparisons between SE and balanced. Can the LP in single ended unbalanced mode use balanced headphone cables?

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,725 of 5,150
I am using the se input from dac, and balanced cable from output to Ori headphones. Sounds great!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back