Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #1,681 of 5,150
Whenever I read a post like this (featuring a tube I never heard)...I always wonder how you knew to pick these particular tubes.
I read through the Lyr tube rolling thread, and have followed a few members over the years, that have the same views on tube sound signatures, as me. Also, a bunch of research online, and tube rolling a bunch myself, to learn the sound signatures. I basically have a good idea, what most 6922 variants sound like, because of the things mentioned above. This forum and its members have saved me a ton of money, by helping learn about tubes. In the Lyr tube rolling thread, you can read about several members journey, through tubes and learn from them. They have been through all the greats.

Basically i started with the Amperex as first roll, because it is pretty much even top to bottom. Then realized i wanted more extension on both ends and a little more warmth in the mids, so went for the Brimar, because i knew it was gonna give me the biggest change toward what i wanted to hear, and so far it is spot on. I like to roll tubes with completely different sound sigs and then dial in from there, if needed with more rolling.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,682 of 5,150
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,683 of 5,150
I read through the Lyr tube rolling thread, and have followed a few members over the years, that have the same views on tube sound signatures, as me. Also, a bunch of research online, and tube rolling a bunch myself, to learn the sound signatures. I basically have a good idea, what most 6922 variants sound like, because of the things mentioned above. This forum and its members have saved me a ton of money, by helping learn about tubes. In the Lyr tube rolling thread, you can read about several members journey, through tubes and learn from them. They have been through all the greats.

Basically i started with the Amperex as first roll, because it is pretty much even top to bottom. Then realized i wanted more extension on both ends and a little more warmth in the mids, so went for the Brimar, because i knew it was gonna give me the biggest change toward what i wanted to hear, and so far it is spot on. I like to roll tubes with completely different sound sigs and then dial in from there, if needed with more rolling.

Hmmm...I don't have the mindset of a tube-roller (at least, not yet). But now you have me thinking:
  • I have a Woo WA3 (SE OTL amp) ... love the sound
  • Current driver tubes are 6922 Gold Pin Amperex NOS I purchased from Woo as an upgrade
  • Will these Brimars drop in as replacements for the 6922?
If yes, what might I expect to hear?

Sorry for off-topic. I'm pretty interested in the LP, too.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,684 of 5,150
Hmmm...I don't have the mindset of a tube-roller (at least, not yet). But now you have me thinking:
  • I have a Woo WA3 (SE OTL amp) ... love the sound
  • Current driver tubes are 6922 Gold Pin Amperex NOS I purchased from Woo as an upgrade
  • Will these Brimars drop in as replacements for the 6922?
If yes, what might I expect to hear?

Sorry for off-topic. I'm pretty interested in the LP, too.
Yes they are 6922 drop in replacements. Are they Amperex Holland made or USA? That will make a difference. However, with the Brimar, compared to both, will have more warmth in the mids, and way deeper bass.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #1,685 of 5,150
Yes they are 6922 drop in replacements. Are they Amperex Holland made or USA? That will make a difference. However, with the Brimar, compared to both, will have more warmth in the mids, and way deeper bass.

They're made in Holland.

Way more bass? Damn...where can I find them?

I searched and found one (of 7) F.S. on ebay, but the legends on each tube look quite different from all the pix I can find.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #1,686 of 5,150
Feb 27, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,689 of 5,150
I actually ordered one when it was selling for $845.75 because Monoprice was not going to have stock until Apr. It was supposed to have arrived last Sunday but never did so I had to put in a dispute.

Then yesterday it did a double price drop, first to $745ish and then now at $704. My buddy snuck in an order on my behalf before they just ran out of stock until Mar 11. Whew!

Now just waiting for my refund and my liquid Plat which should arrive Fri! Can't wait. Love saving money.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #1,690 of 5,150
Anyone knows whether this backorder until April is due to Monoprice re-spinning the design (i.e. coming up with LPv2)?!

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #1,691 of 5,150
Hi Guys,
I'm considering to upgrade from Lyr 3 to the Cavalli LP,

Ordering from EU, unfortunately the LP isn't available here, so shipping from usa would cost a ~25% more than its retail price including customs fees

Would the cavalli be a worth improvement coming from the Lyr 3?

I need to drive a JPS Abyss

As a DAC I would use a Chord Mojo

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #1,692 of 5,150
Anyone knows whether this backorder until April is due to Monoprice re-spinning the design (i.e. coming up with LPv2)?!
I don't think v2 will be coming out in Less then 6 months since its release unless some major design flaws were discovered,which is highly unlikely.
More plausible reason could be the shortage of raws from Supplier etc.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #1,693 of 5,150
Hi Guys,
I'm considering to upgrade from Lyr 3 to the Cavalli LP,

Ordering from EU, unfortunately the LP isn't available here, so shipping from usa would cost a ~25% more than its retail price including customs fees

Would the cavalli be a worth improvement coming from the Lyr 3?

I need to drive a JPS Abyss

As a DAC I would use a Chord Mojo
As stated several times in this thread, the LP is a step up, in every aspect from the Lyr 3. I have heard that the Abyss sound awesome, with the LP, from a well known reviewer and other members of this forum.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,694 of 5,150
As stated several times in this thread, the LP is a step up, in every aspect from the Lyr 3. I have heard that the Abyss sound awesome, with the LP, from a well known reviewer and other members of this forum.

LP is definitely step up in every aspect. After using LP for 2 months I’ve decided to sell Lyr 3. I haven’t even turned on Lyr 3 in last 1 month and I don’t think I miss anything or feel like going back to it.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,695 of 5,150
I don't think v2 will be coming out in Less then 6 months since its release unless some major design flaws were discovered,which is highly unlikely.
More plausible reason could be the shortage of raws from Supplier etc.
I have seen Monoprice do that before... e.g. M1060 headphones... Granted, over there people have been experiencing serious issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back