Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 28, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,696 of 5,150
I have seen Monoprice do that before... e.g. M1060 headphones... Granted, over there people have been experiencing serious issues!
This is my first purchase from Monoprice except for cables. So not sure about their strategy.
But if they Come up with V2, which I still feel.is highly unlikely, wouldn't it mean that something is wrong with V1 and they have corrected that in V2.

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,697 of 5,150
This is my first purchase from Monoprice except for cables. So not sure about their strategy.
But if they Come up with V2, which I still feel.is highly unlikely, wouldn't it mean that something is wrong with V1 and they have corrected that in V2.
Some people have been complaining that this amp needs a low/high gain switch, since the current (only) gain is too high for some headphones... so v2 could be in response to that.
I am not really aware of any other improvement requests or needs.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #1,699 of 5,150
...More plausible reason could be the shortage of raws from Supplier etc.
Agree. They probably sub out the build and need some time to get the next batch done. Could be a materials bottle-neck, or just scheduling the build at whatever facility they’re using.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #1,701 of 5,150
Alex has stated a few reasons for only having 5x gain. One of which there wasn't any extra room to fit everything in that small of a form factor, so I doubt you'll see a mere revision with a gain switch.

Like I said above earlier in the thread, I seriously doubt there will be any significant revisions if any. This is largely due to the fact that there just isn't much extra room in the chassis. Hypothetically saying there was a major 2nd version. Then you're talking about an extensive redesign of multiple components, which will most likely lead to increased production costs and subsequently an increased sales price. I just don't think Monoprice would do that, but I could be wrong...

Maybe @runeight could chime in if he can say anything at all.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #1,703 of 5,150
I heard some people pair this with a Chord Mojo. How would this work in terms of connections?

Also is this a viable option to a dedicated DAC?

You could pair it with a Mojo. You'll just have to run a 1/8th to dual RCA splitter or a similar cable into the Platinum.

The Mojo can be put in a line-level type mode when you power it on. Just hold all three buttons when powering the unit on (colors should both be light blue). The Mojo isn't the most convenient DAC to use with a dedicated desktop setup, but you can do it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #1,705 of 5,150
So I would probably end up pairing it with a Bimby or Gumby eventually. Ok cool.

One more newb question: why would I want it in Line Out mode?

Most DACs output at a line level, which means the output signal is in a range to interconnect with components, like an amp. Since the Mojo is a DAC/AMP, you don't want to double amp your signal which is why the Mojo is set to line level. The benefit of using something like a Mojo is you could use it as an attenuator if you need more range on the LP with certain headphones.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #1,706 of 5,150
I heard some people pair this with a Chord Mojo. How would this work in terms of connections?

Also is this a viable option to a dedicated DAC?
I am using with Chord Mojo. You will get Amazon basic cable for 3.5mm to 2 Male RCA at around $7. Nice build quality.
There is unbalanced RCA input in LP. Now you can put Mojo in Line level out by holding down all 3 button when powering on. It will throw 3v out.This is safe option if you plan to use Mojo directly with headphone as well . That’s because when you switch it off and switch it back on Mojo, won’t remember the line out unless you press all 3 buttons again.
But if you can go 4 taps volume down from 3 v setting done above ,like you normally do to reduce volume , you will get ~2v line out. However once you move to 2v level your Mojo will remember this setting so be cautious before you connect any headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,707 of 5,150
What kind of headphones would be too sensitive?
As an example, Campfire Cascade. When I say "too sensitive" - what I mean is:
There is very small range of useful volume play before it gets too loud. Like 10% of the volume knob range.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,709 of 5,150
I am using with Chord Mojo. You will get Amazon basic cable for 3.5mm to 2 Male RCA at around $7. Nice build quality.
There is unbalanced RCA input in LP. Now you can put Mojo in Line level out by holding down all 3 button when powering on. It will throw 3v out.This is safe option if you plan to use Mojo directly with headphone as well . That’s because when you switch it off and switch it back on Mojo, won’t remember the line out unless you press all 3 buttons again.
But if you can go 4 taps volume down from 3 v setting done above ,like you normally do to reduce volume , you will get ~2v line out. However once you move to 2v level your Mojo will remember this setting so be cautious before you connect any headphone.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So do you find the Mojo is a good enough DAC for the LP (vs getting a dedicated DAC)? Part of issue for me is lack of space on desk. So either a LP with Mojo or Lyr 3 with built in DAC appeals to me over an LP with a Bitfrost. They aren’t same size and wouldn’t stack from the looks of it and would take up tons of space.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #1,710 of 5,150
Did you order that Nobsound?
I did not. Thinking it might make more sense adding attenuator between LP and headphones (instead of in front of line in)...
Still debating it, though. Or maybe @runeight 's active preamp that was briefly mentioned by him... (if and when it becomes a reality that is) :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back