Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #961 of 5,150
Ordered mine from Monoprice and it was delivered yesterday. No signature required. Just left on the porch. I tried to have it re-routed to a FedEx location for pickup and couldn’t. Keep getting an error message saying sender does not allow delivery exception for this item. If you paid with a credit card, you may have some recourse through them.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #962 of 5,150
@rockytopwiz thanks, that sounds promising, at least. They at least seem to give a damn, which is good. Unfortunately, I don't think FedEx's standard package insurance goes much past $100, so I think it'll be on Monoprice to handle this, so we'll see where it goes.

@4LoveOfSound thanks for the info - at least I'm not the only one whose wasn't delivered "signature required." I would have thought that would be standard practice - Zach from ZMF sent me a pair of headphones that required signature, and even a $400 little headphone amp from ALO required it, too. Between not needing to sign and FedEx delivering the package two days earlier than expected - so there's no way I could have even planned to be home to receive it - I don't see anything I could have done about this, short of having it delivered to work, which I'll be doing from now on.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #963 of 5,150
I've been playing around with my Liquid Platinum lately and the synergy with the ZMF Omni/Ori is very good. The midrange is quite special - very lifelike.

This is good to hear, as I am seriously considering picking up some used Oris, would be my first ZMF cans. Still liking this pairing? Anyone else with Oris and the LP able to chime in?

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #964 of 5,150
This is good to hear, as I am seriously considering picking up some used Oris, would be my first ZMF cans. Still liking this pairing? Anyone else with Oris and the LP able to chime in?

I just got a pair of Ori's and ordered an LP to use with them, and it was taken off my porch before I could give it a listen. Not sure what timeline you're looking at to buy your Ori's, but as soon as I get a replacement, I'll chime in with some impressions. I'm excited to hear the two together! The LP and Blackwoods had good synergy when I tried them together at the ZMFestivus, but I understand the Ori's are a little different sound-signature-wise.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #965 of 5,150
I just got a pair of Ori's and ordered an LP to use with them, and it was taken off my porch before I could give it a listen. Not sure what timeline you're looking at to buy your Ori's, but as soon as I get a replacement, I'll chime in with some impressions. I'm excited to hear the two together! The LP and Blackwoods had good synergy when I tried them together at the ZMFestivus, but I understand the Ori's are a little different sound-signature-wise.

Appreciate that, and bummed to hear about the LP being stolen! What a bummer right before the holidays.

I actually did not have the Ori's on my radar, but may have to make an impulsive decision and snag them.

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #966 of 5,150
Appreciate that, and bummed to hear about the LP being stolen! What a bummer right before the holidays.

I actually did not have the Ori's on my radar, but may have to make an impulsive decision and snag them.

It's not the end of the world, but it is a bummer. The worst part is that I just want to listen to the amp with my headphones, and I guarantee you the person that took it had no idea what they were stealing. I'm imagining some high school kid plugging a pair of Beats into it, hahaha.

I'm a big ZMF fan, partly because Zach is an awesome dude who puts in the work and is an active member of the community, and partly because he makes great products. I have the Atticus, which I love, and I like my Ori's so far, but I haven't had much time with them. I heard the new models (Verite and Aeolus) on the LP at the ZMFestivus, as well, and both sounded fantastic through it. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with ZMF.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #967 of 5,150
Anyone order their LP not using Amazon Prime, i.e. from Monoprice directly or through Amazon fulfilled by Monoprice? They FedEx'ed my LP to me and it got stolen off my porch. There was no signature required for delivery, and it's a $700 item, which seems insane to me. I'm just wondering if anyone else had it delivered FedEx and, if so, if a signature was required. I may need some generic info to leverage my case with Monorpice/FedEx. Thanks!

I've had this happen before and Amazon has always handled it well, i.e. shipped me a new item. I assume that they weigh the additional cost of signatures vs the cost to replace stolen items. It's definitely something to be aware of during the holiday season.

This will be enjoyable to watch:

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #968 of 5,150
I've had this happen before and Amazon has always handled it well, i.e. shipped me a new item. I assume that they weigh the additional cost of signatures vs the cost to replace stolen items. It's definitely something to be aware of during the holiday season.

Ironically, I was cracking up at that video earlier Tuesday, the day it got stolen. I've had a few good laughs from it since, though, too.

Unfortunately, since I ordered through Amazon but it was fulfilled by Monoprice, Amazon's been pretty vehemently hands-off on this one. Monoprice has been responsive, though. It's just gonna take a few days for them to get to the bottom of things with FedEx, so for now I'm playing the waiting game.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #971 of 5,150

lol that was a fun watch.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #972 of 5,150
Received my LP today and have been running it with the stock tubes (although I have some new Gold Lions on hand to roll later). Invited another forum member over to audition for an hour or two. Utilized Nad streamer->Yggy A2->T1.1/Utopia/LCD-4Z. Even with no burn in on the tubes and the amp being on for just 20 minutes, the LP is outperforming every other hp amp I've heard. In the short audition, my friend has also decided to pick one up.
The most noticeable performance boost is on the T1 followed closely by the Utopia. Less drastic improvements so far on the 4z.
On Utopia- soundstage has opened up a bit which was my biggest complaint with the Utopia. Detail retrieval is best I've heard. There is also an indescribable smoothness to the presentation and sense of space. Best bass I've heard on the Utopia is out of the LP.
On T1- this amp makes this headphone a top contender in my book. Soundstage is better than the Utopia (even if some detail is lost). Very enjoyable environment like I'm inside the music rather than just listening to it being played somewhere else. While listening to Roundabout by YES and some old Genesis tracks, I had the feeling I was hearing the tracks for the first time. While listening to one Zappa track, I could hear the wetness of his lips (I know, gross).
Bottom line- sometimes the hype is real. This one is a no brainer if you have the cash. It is a vast improvement over my Jotunheim, and bests my Mj 2 by a good margin as well.
It is hard to believe how well it is performing right out of the box. Looking forward to big surprises as the LP breaks in/roll tubes/explore my music collection again.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #973 of 5,150
Received my LP today and have been running it with the stock tubes (although I have some new Gold Lions on hand to roll later). Invited another forum member over to audition for an hour or two. Utilized Nad streamer->Yggy A2->T1.1/Utopia/LCD-4Z. Even with no burn in on the tubes and the amp being on for just 20 minutes, the LP is outperforming every other hp amp I've heard. In the short audition, my friend has also decided to pick one up.
The most noticeable performance boost is on the T1 followed closely by the Utopia. Less drastic improvements so far on the 4z.
On Utopia- soundstage has opened up a bit which was my biggest complaint with the Utopia. Detail retrieval is best I've heard. There is also an indescribable smoothness to the presentation and sense of space. Best bass I've heard on the Utopia is out of the LP.
On T1- this amp makes this headphone a top contender in my book. Soundstage is better than the Utopia (even if some detail is lost). Very enjoyable environment like I'm inside the music rather than just listening to it being played somewhere else. While listening to Roundabout by YES and some old Genesis tracks, I had the feeling I was hearing the tracks for the first time. While listening to one Zappa track, I could hear the wetness of his lips (I know, gross).
Bottom line- sometimes the hype is real. This one is a no brainer if you have the cash. It is a vast improvement over my Jotunheim, and bests my Mj 2 by a good margin as well.
It is hard to believe how well it is performing right out of the box. Looking forward to big surprises as the LP breaks in/roll tubes/explore my music collection again.
Yeah well, untill it breaks that is. I'm so damn pissed. This return thing is taking for ever.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #974 of 5,150
Yeah well, untill it breaks that is. I'm so damn pissed. This return thing is taking for ever.
Yep, that is the one thing I warned my friend about. Top complaint=may break and need replacement.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #975 of 5,150
That's what I was saying too man, amazing right out of the box. Cool to hear it bests your mj I have not heard one of those!

5 year warranty upped from 1 year!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back