Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #991 of 5,150
Listening to the Tom Petty compilation on the Vinshine R2R>LP (Amperex PQ)> Abyss 1266, where the LP replaced my Lyr 3, the blacks are darker, the headstage superior, and even though the specs show the Lyr to be more powerful, the LP (as in volume setting) seems more powerful. I’m still a n Holliday, and impatiently awaiting my Blackwood Autuers.

The LP and Abyss are an excellent pairing, while I haven’t heard the Abyss on a megabuck amplifier, this is hard to beat!

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #992 of 5,150
Listening to the Tom Petty compilation on the Vinshine R2R>LP (Amperex PQ)> Abyss 1266, where the LP replaced my Lyr 3, the blacks are darker, the headstage superior, and even though the specs show the Lyr to be more powerful, the LP (as in volume setting) seems more powerful. I’m still a n Holliday, and impatiently awaiting my Blackwood Autuers.

The LP and Abyss are an excellent pairing, while I haven’t heard the Abyss on a megabuck amplifier, this is hard to beat!
How is the bass, compared to the Lyr 3? This is going to be my next amp. I have a stash of Amperex 7308's, that I have been saving for an amp just like this.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #994 of 5,150
How is the bass, compared to the Lyr 3? This is going to be my next amp. I have a stash of Amperex 7308's, that I have been saving for an amp just like this.

I believe the bass is more impactful on the LP, maybe because of the blacker background. Plus, the soundstage is a bit wider, and much better depth. Listening to Gillian Welch’s album, “Boots No.1” on my Blackwood Autuers, it’s a magical combination.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #995 of 5,150
Has anybody had a good experience with the LP through it’s single ended output ?
I have a JVC hd 1000X with an attached SE cable, so I was wondering.
Single-ended output sounds very nice. IMO, the difference between the SE and balanced outputs is minor. It's definitely there, but not as drastic as some people may have made it seem.
I've been using an Audeze LCD-MX4 out of the SE output with great results.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #996 of 5,150
Single-ended output sounds very nice. IMO, the difference between the SE and balanced outputs is minor. It's definitely there, but not as drastic as some people may have made it seem.
I've been using an Audeze LCD-MX4 out of the SE output with great results.
Waw good to know ! I also have the mx4 ! Did you get it through the Amazon deal lately ?

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #997 of 5,150
Waw good to know ! I also have the mx4 ! Did you get it through the Amazon deal lately ?
Haha I did. I'm deciding if I want to have them replaced as there was a chip in the paint near the top of the left cup right out of the box. It's minor but if I'm paying that much for headphones, I expect them to be perfect.

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #998 of 5,150
Haha I did. I'm deciding if I want to have them replaced as there was a chip in the paint near the top of the left cup right out of the box. It's minor but if I'm paying that much for headphones, I expect them to be perfect.
They are the smoothest headphone ever made...but can feel a bit congested or lack of air don’t you feel ? I think i prefer the LCD3.

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #999 of 5,150
They are the smoothest headphone ever made...but can feel a bit congested or lack of air don’t you feel ? I think i prefer the LCD3.
I don't really notice congestion... But they definitely are smooth and could use a tiny bit more brilliance. I wish the upper midrange was just a little less recessed; I think that would help with clarity. It's really only noticeable in some songs.
Overall minor nitpicks with the sound. My biggest complaint is how strong the clamp is; they give me a headache if I wear them too long.

Interestingly enough, I notice the upper midrange recession less with the LP than I do some other amps like the Sprout100.

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,000 of 5,150
How do they compare with Valhalla2
I find Valhalla2 too bright to my liking with HD800s.
Does LP has more laid back sound. I'm looking for laid back amplifier.

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,001 of 5,150
maybe a hybrid tube amp like the loxjie p20 is worth the experiment...Im really impressed with mine but its not ear bleeding loud with 300ohm balanced...matter of fact I would even use it unless balanced but it sounds super sweet.

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,002 of 5,150
How do they compare with Valhalla2
I find Valhalla2 too bright to my liking with HD800s.
Does LP has more laid back sound. I'm looking for laid back amplifier.

ANy tube rolling in the valhalla 2 ? I have not heard the 800 headphones but with 600 and 6xx JJ gold pins trimmed the top off the brightness a bit without killing upper frequency extension as far as I could tell. Platinum is a "thicker" sound, the valhalla 2 is thinner sounding with stock tubes which might give you that bright "appearance" maybe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back