Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 28, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,022 of 5,150
Here is mine, just got my Topping D10 today to go with it and replace my Fiio 10k DAC..

10218142.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20181228_170256_Bokeh-01.jpeg
    IMG_20181228_170256_Bokeh-01.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,024 of 5,150
What’s the exact model of the Amperex you’re talking about so I can research it ?
Amperex 7308 gold pin made in USA. I bought mine from Upscale Audio.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,025 of 5,150
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,026 of 5,150
As for promos: sign up on slickdeals.net and add a deal alert for "ebay coupon". eBay has them almost on every last Friday of the month and the best ones are at the end of the quarter. Now in holiday season they seem to have it even more often. The best ones are 15% off but usually the max amount is capped at $50. Once in a blue moon it is 20% with a small cap, like $25. This one is 10% but the cap is $100 so suitable for something like $700 Liquid Platinum, which also has free shipping via eBay vs some amount through Monoprice. LP is so new that Monoprice itself does not discount it yet - it is explicitly excluded in any holiday promo they run. If you can wait several months it might be a different story.
Obligatory eBay flash sale notification: finish your year with a bang and get 15% off on eBay today with POPUPSAVINGS until 6PM PST. This is a handy $100 off Liquid Platinum if you've been undecided. Or some tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,027 of 5,150
ANy tube rolling in the valhalla 2 ? I have not heard the 800 headphones but with 600 and 6xx JJ gold pins trimmed the top off the brightness a bit without killing upper frequency extension as far as I could tell. Platinum is a "thicker" sound, the valhalla 2 is thinner sounding with stock tubes which might give you that bright "appearance" maybe ?
Thanks, right now I'm using JJ E88CC gold pins with Valhalla2. It has certainly trimmed down the amp but it's still there. Have you tried JJ E88CC gold pins on LP. How is the performance

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,028 of 5,150
Thanks, right now I'm using JJ E88CC gold pins with Valhalla2. It has certainly trimmed down the amp but it's still there. Have you tried JJ E88CC gold pins on LP. How is the performance

Yep I moved them over with 40 hours on them when the LP was at about 70 hours. I like em little less airy seems to move the stage back a bit. Good extension on both ends and mids don't seem very different than the stock EH.

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #1,030 of 5,150
Mr Cavalli, may I ask if the sales are doing good ? This amp is so good I hope to see it last on Monoprice, really hope it's a success.

You know, I'd like to be able to answer this, but I don't know. :no_mouth:

My guess is pretty well, given the reception from the owners (once we got past the LPS thingy). :ksc75smile:

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,031 of 5,150

My guess is pretty well, given the reception from the owners (once we got past the LPS thingy). :ksc75smile:
I really hope it will last because I've had a few amps, a lot more $$$$$, and not as exciting and musical !!!! Seriously poeple, if you read this thread and you want the best value, THIS IS THE AMP!!!!!!!
I only hope it passes the test of durability !!!!!!!!!!!
Chapeau bas Mr Cavalli !!!!

Dec 30, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,032 of 5,150
Mr Cavalli, may I ask if the sales are doing good ? This amp is so good I hope to see it last on Monoprice, really hope it's a success.

Just like Mr. Cavalli, I do not know, but my gut feeling is that for a $700 amp - it is selling like hot cakes!

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #1,033 of 5,150
Seriously I don't expect this amp to be seen on the used market. I can't see anybody wanting to sell this for normal reasons. Mr Cavalli is modest ! He should be tooting his horns big time in here !!!!!!!
I own a BHA-1, A Taurus mkii, and have had a bunch of highly considered amps, and this LP is the most excitingly musical thing I've ever owned...I'm in love. I just hope the amp lasts !

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,034 of 5,150
Seriously I don't expect this amp to be seen on the used market. I can't see anybody wanting to sell this for normal reasons. Mr Cavalli is modest ! He should be tooting his horns big time in here !!!!!!!
I own a BHA-1, A Taurus mkii, and have had a bunch of highly considered amps, and this LP is the most excitingly musical thing I've ever owned...I'm in love. I just hope the amp lasts !

I know you were a bit hesitant at first, it’s great that you love the LP (I do as well)!

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #1,035 of 5,150
This is my first serious headphone amp and I am feeling the love expressed by others on the forum! I’m fairly new to the hobby so bear with me on a perhaps simpler question that I’ve been curious about for ages but is now burning due to my setup...

My question is related back to the volume / gain discussion. I am feeding the LP with a Pro-Ject S2 Digital pre box which is a dac and mini preamp. As such it has its own volume control. I’m also using the audioquest nightowl’s among other headphones. They are low impedance and as others have pointed out, this amp is quite powerful. I can easily turn the dac output down a bit to tame the overall volume range / sensitivity on the LP, or I can just deal with a sensitive volume. I’m curious if there’s any meaningful degradation to the overall quality by lowering the input volume on the LP? I believe conventional wisdom is to run things wide open from the source but is that just convention or are there significant benefits to doing more of the amplification earlier in the chain even if its “less musical” amplification in that device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back