Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #932 of 5,150
I just received my LP on Friday. It sounds great but like others have noted I find the gain way too high for almost all the headphones I own. I am using the Project S2 Pre Box as a DAC . Normally with all my other amps I have S2 volume set to 0db. For the LP I am backing down the volume on the S2 to -10 dB to have some play in the LP volume.

Just wondering if I’m losing some resolution from the DAC by lowering its volume?

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #933 of 5,150
I just received my LP on Friday. It sounds great but like others have noted I find the gain way too high for almost all the headphones I own. I am using the Project S2 Pre Box as a DAC . Normally with all my other amps I have S2 volume set to 0db. For the LP I am backing down the volume on the S2 to -10 dB to have some play in the LP volume.

Just wondering if I’m losing some resolution from the DAC by lowering its volume?
I don’t think so, as the volume control should be working on the analog output of DAC. Concern about losing resolution is when you lower volume on the digital source, which reduces bit depth.

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #934 of 5,150
I don’t think so, as the volume control should be working on the analog output of DAC. Concern about losing resolution is when you lower volume on the digital source, which reduces bit depth.

My understanding is that in the digital domain, you can decrease the volume in multiples of -3dB and it should have less loss, since the calculation is just a bit shift, rather than calculation.

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #935 of 5,150
My understanding is that in the digital domain, you can decrease the volume in multiples of -3dB and it should have less loss, since the calculation is just a bit shift, rather than calculation.
Yes, but in shifting bits you’re dropping one bit for each 3dB.

Dec 16, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #936 of 5,150
My replacement arrived on the 7th and i've been burning it in since then. So far no issues with it, here's to hoping it'll stay that way!

Though unlike before, it's now plugged into a balanced toiroidal isolation transformer.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #939 of 5,150

I wanted to follow-up on my previous impressions of the gold lions. These really took a turn for me somewhere between 50-100 hours of burn-in, and now I am really enjoying them. It became really apparent once I swapped back to stock tube that the gold lions have a fuller, more detailed sound compared to stock, and are a worthwhile upgrade. Stock tubes still sounded great, but felt much more boring/lifeless right after listening to gold lions. Much of the harshness/fatiguing I was experiencing with the gold lions seems to have disappeared as burn-in went along. Lost track of exact time, but magic spot for me was somewhere between 50-100 hours.

Also want to add that after swapping tubes a few more times, the sockets started to loosen up a bit and I have been having a much easier time. Still think I am going to grab some socket savers and some pairs of NOS tubes to roll with the LP, but rest assure the sockets will loosen up after a bit of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back