Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 12, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #901 of 5,150
I have the Liquid Carbon V1... From my perspective it shares the same basic tonality as the LP, but the LP comes with relatively more technical enhancements... The LP seems to project a wider soundstage, for example, and an ampler sense of spaciousness and air, and also can sound more lush, depending on source. Also, the tubes on the LP allow for more experimentation with "flavors" which is a-whole-nother kettle of fish...

I have so far experimented with the stock tubes, a pair of Genalex Gold Lions, and a pair of 6N23P Reflektor Holy Grail 1975 SWGP tubes, which are currently on the LP... The latter seem to sound the best of all three, followed by the Genalex Lions. I have heard some texturing and variations on bass notes and depth with the Reflektors, that seem to be out of the league of anything the Liquid Carbon has ever managed or can manage to my ears, but this remains to be confirmed by a head to head A/B comparison, which i normally hate to do (as opposed just kicking back and enjoying the music, when I have the time)...

Mind you, the Liquid Carbon is no slouch at all, and nor is the Liquid Spark, which no-one has mentioned so far... The LP is just better than both of them, period.

I also have a couple of Tubemonger socket savers, which have made seating and swapping tubes a whole lot more smooth and hassle-free for me... By the way, I still do not intend to play with too many tubes down the line... I have found a lot to like about the sound of the Genalexes and the Reflektors, and I am curious about Telefunken tubes... but that will be all, at least for now, and the near future, unless some thing changes, of course.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #902 of 5,150
I own the LCX and CTH, and use the pass-through from the LCX to feed CTH. The LCX does NOT need to be on! works perfectly fine. :wink:
That’s great! I had read elsewhere that it was required to be on, but either that info was wrong or in later drops this has been addressed.

Maybe it depends on your DAC and the other amp?

I have a Topping D50 DAC daisy-chained through the LCX to the THX789, and the LCX needs to be powered on to avoid distortion when listening to the D50+789. I will hear the music out of the 789 when the LCX is off, but there is a lot of distortion -- bass gets very fuzzy, etc. If I turn the LCX on, the distortion goes away. It isn't subtle (doesn't take a golden ear to hear it), but I have listened for a while before I noticed on occasion, depending on the music. YMMV

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #903 of 5,150
Dec 12, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #904 of 5,150
Is there much of a difference from V1 to V2?

I think there was only one or two minor changes and they didn't really effect the sound. Maybe @runeight can set the record straight?

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #906 of 5,150
Made by Genalex. I like them myself quite a bit. They are $46 at tube depot. Don't know about other places.

But, if you don't want to spend big bucks on NOS 6922s, these might suit you pretty well.
Mr Cavalli, I may want to spend big bucks on tubes. Can you recommend me some ?
For now, the amo is sublime ! Which is why I’m ready to break the bank for even better tubes.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #908 of 5,150
Mr Cavalli, I may want to spend big bucks on tubes. Can you recommend me some ?
For now, the amo is sublime ! Which is why I’m ready to break the bank for even better tubes.

I wish I could give you an extensive answer, but I haven't used many NOS tubes for a while. For my production purposes I thought that the EH 6922 and the Genalex 6922 were great for a starter tube and a step up tube with current production tubes.

I bet the rest of the folks on this thread would have a lot to say about this though. Maybe some of them will chime in. :smile_phones:

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #909 of 5,150
Dec 13, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #911 of 5,150
I think there was only one or two minor changes and they didn't really effect the sound. Maybe @runeight can set the record straight?

The main difference is they have a different power supply. There isn’t much difference sonically, I thought the bass might be a smidgon better on V2, but it’s very close.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #912 of 5,150
Has anyone tried Telefunken E88CC w/ the LP?

From what I recall w/ past 6922 rolling experiences, this one blew away the others for me!

I tried it on the Crimson and it was okay, IMO. I tend to like warmer tubes though.

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #914 of 5,150
Has anyone tried Telefunken E88CC w/ the LP?

From what I recall w/ past 6922 rolling experiences, this one blew away the others for me!
I have a pair of those ready to go, o
IMO, warmer tubes would be the Philips, Amperex, Mullard E88CC, and E188CC tubes from the 60's, and 70's.
Amperex 7308, is my favorite and has the warmth, with full bass and liquid mids. The highs are a bit rolled off. This is the first tube, i am going to roll, once i get an LP.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #915 of 5,150
IMO, warmer tubes would be the Philips, Amperex, Mullard E88CC, and E188CC tubes from the 60's, and 70's.

Yeah, I like Harleen tubes like Miniwatts, Amperex, etc. I like Reflektors a lot too. I don’t have any of the smaller Mullards, but I use a Mullard ECC31 and Cossor 45IU on my GOTL, which is my favorite driver/rectifier roll combo for most headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back