Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #917 of 5,150
How is the thx 789 overrated? I'm yet to hear a better SS amp in that price range.

Tested against higher price options such as the cayin iha6 and audiogd nfb1amp.

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #918 of 5,150
Has anyone tried the LCD4 on the LP? Impressions?

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #919 of 5,150
I tried it when I first got the LP and did not like the sound. It sounded "muffled" to me; however, I tried them again last night (after getting about 150+ hours on the LP). What a world of difference! The bass is distinct and powerful. The highs are clear and ringing. Happy Ears.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #920 of 5,150
I wish I could give you an extensive answer, but I haven't used many NOS tubes for a while. For my production purposes I thought that the EH 6922 and the Genalex 6922 were great for a starter tube and a step up tube with current production tubes.

I bet the rest of the folks on this thread would have a lot to say about this though. Maybe some of them will chime in. :smile_phones:
Thanks again for your response and wonderful products sir !

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #921 of 5,150
My LP amp won’t turn on anymore !!!! I did nothing wrong, it just won’t turn on. When I turn it on the green light on the brick flashes on and off...
So sad. I’m covered both by Paypal and Monoprice right? There’s not even 20 hours on it.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #922 of 5,150
My LP amp won’t turn on anymore !!!! I did nothing wrong, it just won’t turn on. When I turn it on the green light on the brick flashes on and off...
So sad. I’m covered both by Paypal and Monoprice right? There’s not even 20 hours on it.

Monoprice will replace it. Try it out on a different electrical socket with it plugged directly into it. See if it exhibits the same behavior. Also I’m wondering if it’s doing that’s because the tubes may not be pushed in all the way as you mentioned earlier.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #923 of 5,150
Monoprice will replace it. Try it out on a different electrical socket with it plugged directly into it. See if it exhibits the same behavior. Also I’m wondering if it’s doing that’s because the tubes may not be pushed in all the way as you mentioned earlier.
Just returned it for a replacement. I tried it in a different socket, same issue. I pushed the tubes as far as I could...it shouldn’t be rocket science anyways. I hope the replacement unit will get there fast and working because I loved the sound of this amp.

What amp of the same price range could compete with this one ?

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #924 of 5,150
Just returned it for a replacement. I tried it in a different socket, same issue. I pushed the tubes as far as I could...it shouldn’t be rocket science anyways. I hope the replacement unit will get there fast and working because I loved the sound of this amp.

What amp of the same price range could compete with this one ?

Sent mine back for replacement on 12/6 and the replacement amp is scheduled for delivery on Mon 12/17 so turnaround for me is between 10 and 14 days. I love the amp too, and hope I have no more problems.

If you want to stick with a tube hybrid, the Schiit Mjolnir 2 is an alternative and near the same price.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #925 of 5,150
Monoprice currently has 10% off if you use Amazon Pay to pay for it. I just ordered one. Basically the $70 off covered tax and shipping. Not thrilled about hearing a couple having to be replaced already.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #926 of 5,150
Sent mine back for replacement on 12/6 and the replacement amp is scheduled for delivery on Mon 12/17 so turnaround for me is between 10 and 14 days. I love the amp too, and hope I have no more problems
If you want to stick with a tube hybrid, the Schiit Mjolnir 2 is an alternative and near the same price.

Yeah I hope we’re not gonna end up with a “great deal” that turns out to be chi fi crap.

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #927 of 5,150
Yeah I hope we’re not gonna end up with a “great deal” that turns out to be chi fi crap.

Sounded like a problem with the SMPS, rather than the amp itself, based on your earlier post.

Dec 15, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #930 of 5,150
Sent mine back for replacement on 12/6 and the replacement amp is scheduled for delivery on Mon 12/17 so turnaround for me is between 10 and 14 days. I love the amp too, and hope I have no more problems.

Looks like my delivery has moved up to today - exactly 11 days turnaround - yay, I'm very happy:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back