Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #602 of 5,150
I have a basic question - no matter what headphones I use (13ohm Aeon Flows, or 300 ohm HD800S), advancing the volume knob past the 9 o:clock position is just too loud for me. So, my question is: would it be better/or not - putting a passive preamp between my DAC(Denafrips Ares) and the LP to give me more play with the LP volume knob.
I've considered the iFi IEmatch, but I believe that is only for se output(I could be wrong about that)
I have a goldpoint SA2X as a passive preamp into my Liquid Platinum. Works fine.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #605 of 5,150
Wow @atomicbob Thank you very much that's the one I was looking at
A Schiit Sys would probably also work just as well for a lot less money. Just set it up hidden from view at 1/3 volume, and then use the pot on the amp.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #607 of 5,150
Only consideration for Sys would be that it is SE only whereas SA2X seems to be a balanced XLR preamp. But for the price sys can't be beat .
Well, since the amp doesn’t perform any better with balanced in vs SE in, unless you have some DAC that performs better with balanced out, it really doesn’t matter. What DAC do you have?

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #608 of 5,150
Well, since the amp doesn’t perform any better with balanced in vs SE in, unless you have some DAC that performs better with balanced out, it really doesn’t matter. What DAC do you have?

I agree with what you said, but I do have a Schiit Yggdrasil A2 where the SE is no slouch but the balanced outs are much better.

Sys is a very good option to have, no doubt about it. :)

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #609 of 5,150
I agree with what you said, but I do have a Schiit Yggdrasil A2 where the SE is no slouch but the balanced outs are much better.

Sys is a very good option to have, no doubt about it. :)

I think that is because that gear was optimized to the balanced outs when it was architectured. It could been the other way.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #610 of 5,150
Just a heads up for anyone on the fence for this amp:

Ebay is running a 15% off coupon tomorrow <- credit to the deals thread Captain @wormsdriver . Looks like it'll cap out at $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monolith-L...li/392168189852?hash=item5b4f0baf9c:rk:1:pf:0

Congrats to @runeight . This amp really pulled out that Cavalli amp sound. So much to enjoy.

Big winners for synergy:
Focal Elex
Senn HD800
Hifiman Edition X <-- Really really good!

I'm still on the fence with the HE-6. It really depends on the loudness level of the song.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #612 of 5,150
Why am I getting taxed for it on ebay? Is it because of Monoprice? It's weird that Monoprice and ebay have different amount of tax for me on their sites. Just don't remember seeing tax on ebay before. Although I haven't really bought from ebay in a while.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #613 of 5,150

Ebay is running a 15% off coupon tomorrow <- credit to the deals thread Captain @wormsdriver . Looks like it'll cap out at $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monolith-L...li/392168189852?hash=item5b4f0baf9c:rk:1:pf:0

Congrats to @runeight . This amp really pulled out that Cavalli amp sound. So much to enjoy.

Big winners for synergy:
Focal Elex
Senn HD800

I'm still on the fence with the HE-6. It really depends on the loudness level of the song.
I was researching to see if we would be able to take advantage of the 10% ebay bucks that ended tonight. For example, buying the LP tonight and getting $70 in ebay bucks, then waiting to actually pay for the LP till tomorrow and thus also having the 15% ($100) discount but unfortunately it is not possible. :tired_face::smiley:

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #614 of 5,150
I jumped on the bandwagon!
I don't know if its just all the hype surrounding this piece or the wait, but I opted to get one.
I'll be pairing it with the RME ADI 2 Dac. with 800s's , EMU Teaks and the 6XX's
I'll keep you posted how the pairing is with this dac in balanced and unbalanced.

Thanks for all the info, made my purchase easy.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #615 of 5,150

Big winners for synergy:
Focal Elex
Senn HD800

Thanks BB, this got me to bite.

I'll post my impressions when it arrives next week! :L3000:

I didn't even have to go to a store for my black Friday shopping this year.

Hopefully the ole lady doesn't find anything in the sale ads. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back