Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #571 of 5,150
Sorry if I missed it but what's the consensus on LPS? Is stock sufficient or is there a good aftermarket one to get?

Stock is sufficient and always has been. There MAY be some subjective improvements possible beyond what measurements have shown: impact, ease of presentation, etc. but that is and always has been completely speculative. Measurements have not shown obvious improvements like those with the MCTH. I have not seen any comparisons one way or another, so there is no “consensus” backed by multiple listening impressions.... I would bet at some point somebody will try it, I will probably try it myself once I can set aside a few bucks and get my hands on a Platinum again. Based on Bob’s measurements, I’m expecting any improvements will be small to moderate. It’s just a conversation that got really carried away really quickly.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #572 of 5,150
I was just wondering if no noise is possible with tubes , to me it only exists in SS realm

Somehow the LP is noise free. I plugged in my andromeda which is like a noise magnet and I heard no noise coming out of it. It's rather spectacular.

Can't say the same about the gain though. With high sensitivity and low impedance it is just a tad on the loud side once the pot is turned past the initial nonlinear portion. To be fair the LP isn't designed for sensitive IEMs

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #573 of 5,150
Has anyone in Asia, specifically Hong Kong order from Monoprice before and have any idea how much shipping might be for one of these? I tried checking via their website but it's not working out for me.

Nov 18, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #574 of 5,150
Has anyone in Asia, specifically Hong Kong order from Monoprice before and have any idea how much shipping might be for one of these? I tried checking via their website but it's not working out for me.

Not HK, but it cost me $155 to Malaysia via DHL. Local customs duties, sales tax and handling charges added another $200. Worth every penny

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #575 of 5,150
Somehow the LP is noise free. I plugged in my andromeda which is like a noise magnet and I heard no noise coming out of it. It's rather spectacular.

Can't say the same about the gain though. With high sensitivity and low impedance it is just a tad on the loud side once the pot is turned past the initial nonlinear portion. To be fair the LP isn't designed for sensitive IEMs

I've been using the digital volume control on my DAC. Shifting the volume down in multiples of -3dB to get the volume pot into a manageable range.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #576 of 5,150

I tried this as well. The iFi iEMatch will give you a very useable volume range on the LP with the Andromeda. They’re like $50 on Amazon, so if you don’t like it you can always send it back, but IME, they make the Andromeda work better with everything and really open up amping options when you can use stuff like the LP.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #577 of 5,150
I tried this as well. The iFi iEMatch will give you a very useable volume range on the LP with the Andromeda. They’re like $50 on Amazon, so if you don’t like it you can always send it back, but IME, they make the Andromeda work better with everything and really open up amping options when you can use stuff like the LP.
The Sound of Surprise: Live at The Side Door, the new album by Mike Casey is a good solid jazz album to try out your new LP. Excellent highs on sax and deep lows on string bass. Drums add the snap.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #581 of 5,150
Which gold lions tubes do you mean? How much are they?

Made by Genalex. I like them myself quite a bit. They are $46 at tube depot. Don't know about other places.

But, if you don't want to spend big bucks on NOS 6922s, these might suit you pretty well.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #582 of 5,150
Nov 20, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #583 of 5,150
Thanks Alex, I will give them a go. What does cryo version mean btw?

New Match 1 pair NEW Genalex Gold Lion E88CC Tubes ECC88 6922 6DJ8 Cryo version https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/253947544969

Usually it means they are dropped in liquid nitrogen for some period of time. The assertion is that the crystaline structure of the materials (mostly metals) in the tube are better structured leading to longer life and better performance. Makes me think I should dip myself in liquid nitrogen. :ksc75smile:

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #584 of 5,150
giphy.gif

I ordered the 6922 Gold Lions from Tube Depot a couple of weeks back to give it a go, but they were on backorder. I've tried the 12au7 Gold Lions in my Cayin HA-1Amk2, they are pretty good, affordable too since no NOS tax. Having said that, I got bored waiting for the genelex pair for my LP to come back in stock so I picked up a pair of NOS Philips SQs that should be here tomorrow. Hope they will be decent, fingers crossed.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #585 of 5,150
Usually it means they are dropped in liquid nitrogen for some period of time. The assertion is that the crystaline structure of the materials (mostly metals) in the tube are better structured leading to longer life and better performance. Makes me think I should dip myself in liquid nitrogen. :ksc75smile:
Thanks for the reply. I thought they will be more brittle after being dipped in liquid nitrogen LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back