Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,292 of 5,150
Since noone has answered my question, I will ask again in a different way.
Is the power cord detachable from the power supply itself like laptop power supplies? If it is detachable, what sort of connection does it use? Any of these two on the picture? Many thanks!
download (1).jpg

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,293 of 5,150
I have not heard the HD800S' as I don't really have access to any, but I am looking for something that is more analytical than the 600's. I also like the idea of having a wide soundstage (even for the blues). I am hoping that the LP amp will pair well with the 800S' and give me the best (most precise) sound I can get in that price range.
The 800S pairs exceptionally well with the LP. EXtended highs; controlled full bass; wide sound stage. The 800S is picky about amps, but it loves the LP.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,294 of 5,150
Well, the DAC is really the only line level/source component you need worry about in a typical computer-USB-DAC-headphone amp setup. Just checked and here's what I find for the SMSL:
  • Output: RCA, XLR.
  • Output level: 2 Vrms (RCA), 4 Vrms (XLR)
So assuming you use the single-ended output from the DAC to amp(s), you shouldn't need to attenuate the DAC's output (headphone amps has a pot for exactly that reason). Another reason not to lower the volume pot on a DAC is whether the volume is attenuated digitally vs passively (if digital and lower-end design type, you could sacrifice digital info by attentuating output to any real degree).

So to clarify my own confusion. In the case of the SMSL dac (running balanced XLR), are you recommending to max the volume of the DAC, set the volume on the AMP to a fixed level (for example at 50%) and then control the volume in software (I use Jriver)?

Or option B) max the volume on the dac, max the volume in software (jriver, in my case), and use the volume control on the AMP only? The reason I ask, is because my LP has the slight channel inbalance at low volume (like 10%), it sounds beautiful above that. But if the DAC volume is maxed, I have very little control at the amp end, as it gets pretty loud, quickly. The SMSL meausres 4.2Vrms at full volume.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #1,295 of 5,150
Is the power cord detachable from the power supply itself like laptop power supplies? If it is detachable, what sort of connection does it use? Any of these two on the picture? Many thanks!
From the Monoprice website. it looks like it's the 1st of the 2 pics.

333055.jpg

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,298 of 5,150
So to clarify my own confusion. In the case of the SMSL dac (running balanced XLR), are you recommending to max the volume of the DAC, set the volume on the AMP to a fixed level (for example at 50%) and then control the volume in software (I use Jriver)?

Or option B) max the volume on the dac, max the volume in software (jriver, in my case), and use the volume control on the AMP only? The reason I ask, is because my LP has the slight channel inbalance at low volume (like 10%), it sounds beautiful above that. But if the DAC volume is maxed, I have very little control at the amp end, as it gets pretty loud, quickly. The SMSL meausres 4.2Vrms at full volume.
Thats why everyone is looking for ways to attenuate sound at analog stage using preamp.
I hope your DAC is not doing digital attenuation and if it is not doing that then you can very well use it for volume control.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,299 of 5,150

First, I confess that I've never run a balanced DAC in any system. So I have no idea if what appears to be double the output in volts coming from balanced vs SE output (4 volts vs 2 volts) is audible in the rest of the system. If it is, you must have a ton of gain in that system.

But to answer your question: I would never do it the 1st way you outline--because you would be adjusting volume primarily in the digital realm in the computer.

My recommendation would be OPTION B. But...if you're following other posts here, you know that some here have the LP and due to its inherently somewhat-higher-than-usual gain, are forced into operating its volume pot at the lowest, least linear levels (using the clock analogy, typically it's ~7:30AM to 9:00AM on the dial where the non-linearity is, if there is any).

Especially in your system, that may well be the case, IF you forego adjusting volume in the digital realm. Which brings us back to suggestions to insert a passive (or active) volume controller in line just before the LP.

Based on everything you've told me, you should try to ascertain how the volume pot of the SMSL is implemented. If it's analog, not digital, then that pot becomes your "secret weapon." But if it's implemented digitally, it's probably no wiser to use that pot, than to adjust volume in Foobar/computer app.

Sorry I can't be definitive. This is all speculation. And in fairness to Monoprice & Alex, I wouldn't know if the LP was actually too "gain-ey" in my system unless I tried it.

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,300 of 5,150
See picture of Liquid Platinum supplied SMPS:
LiqPlat_SMPS_small_cropped.jpg

Everything you need to know is contained in that picture. Standard IEC 320 C8 inlet on the Fuyuang SMPS. Voltages, currents, regulatory approvals can all be seen on the label.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,303 of 5,150
First, I confess that I've never run a balanced DAC in any system. So I have no idea if what appears to be double the output in volts coming from balanced vs SE output (4 volts vs 2 volts) is audible in the rest of the system. If it is, you must have a ton of gain in that system.

But to answer your question: I would never do it the 1st way you outline--because you would be adjusting volume primarily in the digital realm in the computer.

My recommendation would be OPTION B. But...if you're following other posts here, you know that some here have the LP and due to its inherently somewhat-higher-than-usual gain, are forced into operating its volume pot at the lowest, least linear levels (using the clock analogy, typically it's ~7:30AM to 9:00AM on the dial where the non-linearity is, if there is any).

Especially in your system, that may well be the case, IF you forego adjusting volume in the digital realm. Which brings us back to suggestions to insert a passive (or active) volume controller in line just before the LP.

Based on everything you've told me, you should try to ascertain how the volume pot of the SMSL is implemented. If it's analog, not digital, then that pot becomes your "secret weapon." But if it's implemented digitally, it's probably no wiser to use that pot, than to adjust volume in Foobar/computer app.

Sorry I can't be definitive. This is all speculation. And in fairness to Monoprice & Alex, I wouldn't know if the LP was actually too "gain-ey" in my system unless I tried it.
Yep that's my issue, ie the high gain on the amp (LP), and the slight channel inbalance at 0-10% on the volume knob on the amp. My DAC is so hot (4.2Vrms), that I can't even turn up the LP. To resolve the inbalance. So for now I turn the DAC volume down, to compensate (30 of 38). That of course "may" have some negative impacts on bit resolution.

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,304 of 5,150

As per my understanding the DAC in SMSL SU - 8 is 32 Bit so you have lot of space to play with the volume control at DAC level. Since the volume control in the DAC has access to DAC datapath so the S/N ratio remains intact. Please note that using the digital volume from the S/F player may not impact the resolution in this scenario but the S/N ratio gets worse and that's where the digital volume control at DAC and Software are different since the volume control at DAC level has access to DAC internal datapath so S/N ratio is much better compared to S/F attenuation.
Some one who has better understanding please correct me if I am wrong

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,305 of 5,150
Been reading thru this thread and have a couple questions.
Im currently running a GLM2 for my easier to drive headphones,like K701 and ATH AD2000s. I find the GLM2 to be good,but a bit "sterile" for a lack of a better word.

Questions:
Is this amp overkill for the headphones listed above?
Anyone who has heard both the LP and GLM2 how do they differ sound wise?

I will be using it unbalanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back