Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,156 of 5,150
I’ll happily bring my impressions, but I already have the feeling that this very much ‘my ears, your ears’.
I know how that works, but always interested in reading people's opinions...

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #1,157 of 5,150
I got the Gold Lions and sold them. Prefer the warmer sound of stock. I wonder of there are tubes that have the same sound sig as stock but better. In any case the LP with stock is absolutely wonderful and am in no hurry to upgrade.

How long did you run the gold lions ? I was unimpressed at first compared to the JJ's and the EH can be had for $30 a pair. I'm going on 20 hours on the gold lions now and they seem to be sweetening up. More air and punch with great mids, I thought they kind of sounded off at first though.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #1,158 of 5,150
How long did you run the gold lions ? I was unimpressed at first compared to the JJ's and the EH can be had for $30 a pair. I'm going on 20 hours on the gold lions now and they seem to be sweetening up. More air and punch with great mids, I thought they kind of sounded off at first though.
I confess not many hours but I don't believe in radical changes. I liked the stock tubes right off the box. I don't deny the GL had more soundstage, bass and highs...but that's not what I'm looking for; otherwise I'd go with a SS amp. I want that warm feeling, and the stock tubes, even if cheap, give me that.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #1,159 of 5,150
I confess not many hours but I don't believe in radical changes. I liked the stock tubes right off the box. I don't deny the GL had more soundstage, bass and highs...but that's not what I'm looking for; otherwise I'd go with a SS amp. I want that warm feeling, and the stock tubes, even if cheap, give me that.

that's cool, doesn't have to be radical, there's subtle changes that do happen though, I agree if they are not to your liking that much they won't change into something good. From what I been reading if you want warmth over all else british tubes do that. The gold lions seem much more balanced sounding though so far, not as warm as the EH not as deep as the JJ but very balanced throughout. Really like percussion on them so far.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,160 of 5,150
that's cool, doesn't have to be radical, there's subtle changes that do happen though, I agree if they are not to your liking that much they won't change into something good. From what I been reading if you want warmth over all else british tubes do that. The gold lions seem much more balanced sounding though so far, not as warm as the EH not as deep as the JJ but very balanced throughout. Really like percussion on them so far.
Interesting. And could you suggest a specific good warm tube ?

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #1,161 of 5,150
Interesting. And could you suggest a specific good warm tube ?

well I only been messing with tubes a couple years, i'm no expert but skyline315 shared a link earlier that has a great rundown and talks about tube attributes a bit.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...-by-alex-cavalli.876406/page-77#post-14703885

MULLARD, GENALEX, BRIMAR, and other British made NOS: Like a warm British jacket of the finest tweed, these glorious tubes have an attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions. The top end is silky and pleasant, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism. The 1970s Mullard made have an attractive sparkle at the top with the rich bass, and these tubes are usually priced less than the older types.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #1,162 of 5,150

I ran a pair of Gold Lions for a week to bed them in nicely. Didn't care for them, they are smooth but too 'polite'.. was missing some energy and bass slam compared to my Mullard-made Philips SQ. These have a pretty natural sounding warm tone without losing detail up top.

IMG_20181126_014106.jpg

Waiting for the postman to deliver '75 Reflektors, excited to hear them

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #1,163 of 5,150
I ran a pair of Gold Lions for a week to bed them in nicely. Didn't care for them, they are smooth but too 'polite'.. was missing some energy and bass slam compared to my Mullard-made Philips SQ. These have a pretty natural sounding warm tone without losing detail up top.

Waiting for the postman to deliver '75 Reflektors, excited to hear them

I can agree with the politeness on the gold lions, they seem more uncolored to me than EH or JJ I guess. The JJ's had more heft for sure, deeper sound but more narrow. Gold lions are WIDE sounding... love the way drums sound on them I have to admit.

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #1,164 of 5,150
MULLARD, GENALEX, BRIMAR, and other British made NOS: Like a warm British jacket of the finest tweed, these glorious tubes have an attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions. The top end is silky and pleasant, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism. The 1970s Mullard made have an attractive sparkle at the top with the rich bass, and these tubes are usually priced less than the older types.
Judging by this piece, the gold lions by Genalex should be warm "like a British jacket of the finest tweed"... But @UsoppNoKami and yourself agree they're too polite.
So, repeating @Serge Bernamej - which tubes for LP would give a nice warm sound? (I am still burning-in the stock EH...)

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #1,165 of 5,150
Judging by this piece, the gold lions by Genalex should be warm "like a British jacket of the finest tweed"... But @UsoppNoKami and yourself agree they're too polite.
So, repeating @Serge Bernamej - which tubes for LP would give a nice warm sound? (I am still burning-in the stock EH...)

I didn't see the politeness as a negative though. They seem very balanced sounding and wide. Depending on what people listen to it might be a positive. I can't say how warm they are as I have never heard older warmer sounding tubes. JJ's stand out more than EH or GL's for me.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #1,166 of 5,150
Judging by this piece, the gold lions by Genalex should be warm "like a British jacket of the finest tweed"... But
This article has nothing to do with new production tubes...so, no...it says nothing of the sort. Plus, aren't Genalex tubes made in Russia?

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #1,167 of 5,150
@runeight, so having channel imbalance at low volume is normal? Mine does the same thing but as soon as the volume pot goes above 8 o’clock or so, it disappears

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,168 of 5,150

The Genalex are warm tubes but what you’re describing are the sound for Mullard tubes. If you want a more refined warm tube you can look for a pair of Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes, Amperex ECC88, or if you want warm with a little more higher end extension then then Amperex 6922 (the earlier year the better).

Can’t say more about the new production tubes.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,169 of 5,150
This article has nothing to do with new production tubes...so, no...it says nothing of the sort. Plus, aren't Genalex tubes made in Russia?
Good point!
As for production - new ones (I believe) are produced in Russia. From reading around, sounds like they used to be produced elsewhere in the 60s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back