Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,129 of 5,150
Jan 6, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,130 of 5,150
An amusing add-on to the channel imbalance thing. I decided to try my other two amps (Bryston BHA-1 & MassDrop LC-X) without my preamp in the chain for attenuation.

Bryston first — hooked it up, plugged in Utopia (4-pin XLR jack). Set to high gain, volume all the way down, turned it on and ... I’m hearing very imbalanced audio — with pot literally all the way down. Tried on low gain, same thing a little quieter (duh). Scratching my head, turn it off and back on ... same thing.

Then I remembered that the previous owner had mentioned occasional channel imbalance and said that switching inputs sent it away. Flipped the switch back and forth and ... sure enough, imbalance is gone. But ... still playing at a quiet-but-listenable level. Odd.

Switching to my LC-X, the story is much simpler. Silent with the pot all the way down & no imbalance at any audible volume level on high or low gain.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,131 of 5,150
Sounds like you narrow down a bit the problem. I did not think that the pot itself was the problem since Alex stated that he had procedures in place that all volume pots parts are to be carefully check out in manufacturing.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,132 of 5,150
Appears Monoprice just jacked the price on this amp by 15%! Now around $800.

Oh no! Now that's over $1000 before tax/shipping etc in Canada.. guess Lyr it is :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #1,133 of 5,150
Oh no! Now that's over $1000 before tax/shipping etc in Canada.. guess Lyr it is :frowning2:
I don’t suppose you’d be able to get the eBay discount, either? :triportsad:

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #1,134 of 5,150
I don’t suppose you’d be able to get the eBay discount, either? :triportsad:

Just jumped to eBay after you said that, looks to be $1051 or so on .CA, 800 .com
Well, maybe there will be a sale when I'm ready!
Funnily I was originally hoping for a sale at some point this year, now it looks like I'd be hoping for a sale to the old price.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #1,135 of 5,150
With all trade issues happening today it may take a while for prices to settle down. My all stainless steel air fryer without any Teflon nonstick coating for birds safety has double in price two weeks after I brought it and I wanted another.
I got chewed out on another forum when someone was saying that the Liquid Platinum was too dry. I was not sure what that means but was trained that a dry signal is direct or equipment is without any effects added like a distortion pedal or EQ like a straight connection from a guitar. First time I heard dry as a tone of sorts.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,136 of 5,150
With all trade issues happening today it may take a while for prices to settle down. My all stainless steel air fryer without any Teflon nonstick coating for birds safety has double in price two weeks after I brought it and I wanted another.
I got chewed out on another forum when someone was saying that the Liquid Platinum was too dry. I was not sure what that means but was trained that a dry signal is direct or equipment is without any effects added like a distortion pedal or EQ like a straight connection from a guitar. First time I heard dry as a tone of sorts.
Saw that :)
<edit>
Actually, the next post after your ... reprimand ... gave a succinct and useful definition. Works for me -- consistent with I found/posted below.
</edit>

Personally, I don’t get this:

Difference Between Wet and Dry Signals or Sounds

from most of the usage of ‘wet’ in posts here — or over there. Certainly doesn’t seem like any specific tonality.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,137 of 5,150
Saw that :)
<edit>
Actually, the next post after your ... reprimand ... gave a succinct and useful definition. Works for me -- consistent with I found/posted below.
</edit>

Personally, I don’t get this:

Difference Between Wet and Dry Signals or Sounds

from most of the usage of ‘wet’ in posts here — or over there. Certainly doesn’t seem like any specific tonality.

What they are actually saying is that the Platinum is accurate to the original sound as given to it by the source. Saying it is too Dry makes this a negative when MHO opinion is that it is a positive.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,138 of 5,150
What they are actually saying is that the Platinum is accurate to the original sound as given to it by the source. Saying it is too Dry makes this a negative when MHO opinion is that it is a positive.
Yes, you hear tube amp aficionados talking about 'syrupy' amps. Doesn't sound appealing to me, but you wouldn't expect that, given the headphones I gravitate towards.

My ears, their ears I guess :)

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,139 of 5,150
BTW, Siemens NOS E88CCs are sitting in my PO Box -- I was too lazy to come into town over the weekend to pick them up. They'll pop into the LP this evening, completing my initial set of tubes (Stock EH, Genalex Gold Lions, Amperex PQ 6922, Siemens). I figure I'll get a good sense of what's possible and what I'm looking for out of tube rolling. At least I'll be able to talk somewhat knowledgeably about how different tubes work with different cans. Sure didn't want to spring for more expensive tubes before learning A LOT more.

Current damages: $600 amp, $68 GLs, $83 Amperex, $101 Siemens -- so $852 total. Turns out that 15% eBay discount can really add up :)

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,140 of 5,150
BTW, Siemens NOS E88CCs are sitting in my PO Box -- I was too lazy to come into town over the weekend to pick them up. They'll pop into the LP this evening, completing my initial set of tubes (Stock EH, Genalex Gold Lions, Amperex PQ 6922, Siemens). I figure I'll get a good sense of what's possible and what I'm looking for out of tube rolling. At least I'll be able to talk somewhat knowledgeably about how different tubes work with different cans. Sure didn't want to spring for more expensive tubes before learning A LOT more.

Current damages: $600 amp, $68 GLs, $83 Amperex, $101 Siemens -- so $852 total. Turns out that 15% eBay discount can really add up :)

All too true, home sick (darn it:mask:), but absolutely loving Lucinda Williams serenading vía the awesome LP and ZMF Autuers, think I might be “sick” tomorrow as well :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back