Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 7, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,142 of 5,150
All too true, home sick (darn it:mask:), but absolutely loving Lucinda Williams serenading vía the awesome LP and ZMF Autuers, think I might be “sick” tomorrow as well :wink:.
This!

West :thumbsup::notes::call_me:

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,143 of 5,150
BTW, Siemens NOS E88CCs are sitting in my PO Box -- I was too lazy to come into town over the weekend to pick them up. They'll pop into the LP this evening, completing my initial set of tubes (Stock EH, Genalex Gold Lions, Amperex PQ 6922, Siemens). I figure I'll get a good sense of what's possible and what I'm looking for out of tube rolling. At least I'll be able to talk somewhat knowledgeably about how different tubes work with different cans. Sure didn't want to spring for more expensive tubes before learning A LOT more.

Current damages: $600 amp, $68 GLs, $83 Amperex, $101 Siemens -- so $852 total. Turns out that 15% eBay discount can really add up :)
Do let us know your view on each and which one you liked the most

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,144 of 5,150
So far I have the electro harmonix LP came with. JJ gold pins and the gold lions. I'll be grabbing a different pair not sure which yet. Going to stock up for my end game amp.

I’m also on the lookout for another pair of tubes. I didn’t really like the Matsushite/National PCC88. They have a full, thick tone/timber, but really are lacking in macrodynamics (boring). Also, the top end is quite a bit rolled off compared the stock EH tubes.

I’m currently assessing a pair of 1978 Voskhok 6N23P. These were my favorite tune with my Lyr 2 and I really do like them with the LP, but I’m still forming my opinion on them.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #1,145 of 5,150
Do let us know your view on each and which one you liked the most
Yes, I will, but I expect it will take a while. Switching everything around is a pain, since swapping tubes requires an amp shutdown/restart. A minute (or so) doesn't seem like that long a wait, until it's the 11th time in the past two hours :)

I'll probably install tubes, rotate through my cans and form opinions about pairings with that tube, then switch to the next tubes and repeat. Once I've done that, I'll run a sort of Champions League playoff, compare the 'best pairings'.

I can see where this could get really complicated and time-consuming, detracting from actually enjoying the music. I'll attempt to avoid that.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #1,146 of 5,150
I’m also on the lookout for another pair of tubes. I didn’t really like the Matsu****e/National PCC88. They have a full, thick tone/timber, but really are lacking in macrodynamics (boring). Also, the top end is quite a bit rolled off compared the stock EH tubes.

I’m currently assessing a pair of 1978 Voskhok 6N23P. These were my favorite tune with my Lyr 2 and I really do like them with the LP, but I’m still forming my opinion on them.

I'd like to grab some Amperex but I'm so confused between "PQ" and "Bugle Boy" and what sounds like what. Lots of options.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,148 of 5,150
BTW, Siemens NOS E88CCs are sitting in my PO Box -- I was too lazy to come into town over the weekend to pick them up. They'll pop into the LP this evening, completing my initial set of tubes (Stock EH, Genalex Gold Lions, Amperex PQ 6922, Siemens). I figure I'll get a good sense of what's possible and what I'm looking for out of tube rolling. At least I'll be able to talk somewhat knowledgeably about how different tubes work with different cans. Sure didn't want to spring for more expensive tubes before learning A LOT more.

Current damages: $600 amp, $68 GLs, $83 Amperex, $101 Siemens -- so $852 total. Turns out that 15% eBay discount can really add up :)

Well, on the other side, I do see that the sum of your headphone collection is heading to 15k at their MSRP :ksc75smile:

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,149 of 5,150
Well, on the other side, I do see that the sum of your headphone collection is heading to 15k at their MSRP :ksc75smile:
I can assure you that I've never paid MSRP for any headphone (except my iBasso IEMs) or electronics. Closest to list for cans are my Auteur at the pre-order discount. Utopia were new on the Adorama open-box sale for $... well, let's just say less than 60% of list. Everything else is used -- though I did pay $1700 for my barely used Ether 2. So gauged by % of MSRP, Auteur and E2 are about tied for most expensive.

I'd have to check, but I suspect I'm between $9 and 10k for headphones. Another $4 - 5K for electronics (and tubes :ksc75smile:). Not to mention mumble mumble cables mumble mumble.

Still, a cheap hobby compared to say, flying, or even skiing. And there are probably folks out there who have spent more for 1 Stax setup. He!!, just picking up a Dave & Utopia at list would get you to the cost of all my gear.

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,150 of 5,150
What they are actually saying is that the Platinum is accurate to the original sound as given to it by the source. Saying it is too Dry makes this a negative when MHO opinion is that it is a positive.
The LP is ultimately accurate. It reproduces what you feed it. If you do not like what you hear, then change what you are feed it. If the source is bad, the LP will let you know.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,151 of 5,150
Yes, I will, but I expect it will take a while. Switching everything around is a pain, since swapping tubes requires an amp shutdown/restart. A minute (or so) doesn't seem like that long a wait, until it's the 11th time in the past two hours :)

I'll probably install tubes, rotate through my cans and form opinions about pairings with that tube, then switch to the next tubes and repeat. Once I've done that, I'll run a sort of Champions League playoff, compare the 'best pairings'.

I can see where this could get really complicated and time-consuming, detracting from actually enjoying the music. I'll attempt to avoid that.
Some of us (like me...) are patiently waiting for some impressions... :wink:
I was going to buy new Genalex Gold Lions, but due to your (and couple other) posts - I am withholding for potentially better tubes at non-crazy prices. The Genalex, being new, are the easiest to find from multiple sources (and cheapest) but if something else in same ballpark is WAY better......... :wink:

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,152 of 5,150
I got the Gold Lions and sold them. Prefer the warmer sound of stock. I wonder of there are tubes that have the same sound sig as stock but better. In any case the LP with stock is absolutely wonderful and am in no hurry to upgrade.

Jan 7, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #1,153 of 5,150
Some of us (like me...) are patiently waiting for some impressions... :wink:
I was going to buy new Genalex Gold Lions, but due to your (and couple other) posts - I am withholding for potentially better tubes at non-crazy prices. The Genalex, being new, are the easiest to find from multiple sources (and cheapest) but if something else in same ballpark is WAY better......... :wink:
I’ll happily bring my impressions, but I already have the feeling that this very much ‘my ears, your ears’.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #1,155 of 5,150
I got the Gold Lions and sold them. Prefer the warmer sound of stock. I wonder of there are tubes that have the same sound sig as stock but better. In any case the LP with stock is absolutely wonderful and am in no hurry to upgrade.
I am not ruling out just keeping the stock tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back