Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #706 of 5,150
Nov 26, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #709 of 5,150
Nov 26, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #711 of 5,150
Be careful with the bakelite savers on ebay. They're not made very well, and people have ruined gear with them. Tubemonger savers are the best. Here's a link to their site. Give them a few days to re-stock. Also, if you guys are going to be rolling tubes. Check out the Lyr rollers thread for all the rolling info you'll ever need.
Cheers
https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm
Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, the Tubemonger savers you pointed me at are currently 'Out of Stock'. I signed up for 'back in stock' notification.

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #713 of 5,150
No problem folks. Been rolling tubes for 4 years now. They're the best savers hands down. They are more money , but you get what you pay for.

Also, like I said. Any info on tubes for your amp. The Lyr thread is a wealth of information.
I subscribed to this thread because I'm interested in this amp and will be purchasing one after I see some comparisons to amps like Lyr2 ,MJ2 ...etc.
Looks solidly built.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #715 of 5,150
For those that experience treble brightness:

The first 10hrs or so I also thought the LP was overly bright and a bit sibilant as well. But around 20+hrs in the treble definitely started to calm down, and it sounds great even out of the HD800S!

Also, just as the user manual and Alex has stated, the Balanced Out makes a pretty substantial difference. It reminds me of how the MJ2 SE Out sounded compared to the Bal Out.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #716 of 5,150
For those that experience treble brightness:

The first 10hrs or so I also thought the LP was overly bright and a bit sibilant as well. But around 20+hrs in the treble definitely started to calm down, and it sounds great even out of the HD800S!

Also, just as the user manual and Alex has stated, the Balanced Out makes a pretty substantial difference. It reminds me of how the MJ2 SE Out sounded compared to the Bal Out.
I don’t believe that burn in will transform a bright sound into a warm one. The amp is either bright, neutral or warmish. No burn-in changes that.

Nov 27, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #720 of 5,150
I don’t believe that burn in will transform a bright sound into a warm one. The amp is either bright, neutral or warmish. No burn-in changes that.

My experience with the CTH at least was that it was overly warm at first, but now it’s much brighter sounding.

But my wording was poor. I actually meant excessive treble energy (such as sibilance) instead of brightness. I’m quite treble sensitive myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back