Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 27, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #721 of 5,150
you can also find some nice ceramic savers on ebay that's where I got most of mine work & look great..
Me too, and lots of others on the forum do as well, with success.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #722 of 5,150
I have over 200 hours on the LP and over 100 on the Genalex Gold Lion tubes and am very pleased with this amp. Only niggle is the amount of gain with the Elex (which I like and do not find fatiguing at all as I can listen to them for a couple of hours straight).

I am thinking of using RCA in-line attenuators and still running balanced out to give me the ability to better lock in the volume. I don't listen at loud volumes and mainly enjoy jazz or jazz fusion CD's from the 80's and 90's, which are mastered at a lower volume.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #723 of 5,150
There is a bit of channel imbalance at very low volume, that’s normal right?

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #724 of 5,150
I have over 200 hours on the LP and over 100 on the Genalex Gold Lion tubes and am very pleased with this amp. Only niggle is the amount of gain with the Elex (which I like and do not find fatiguing at all as I can listen to them for a couple of hours straight).

I am thinking of using RCA in-line attenuators and still running balanced out to give me the ability to better lock in the volume. I don't listen at loud volumes and mainly enjoy jazz or jazz fusion CD's from the 80's and 90's, which are mastered at a lower volume.

Elex is lovely on LP again now that I figured out that the AVR was filtering the dynamics away. For the gain level, check your DAC output level - my AGD R2R-R1 has up to 20V XLR, using my NFB1-AMP as a preamp brings it down to the 1-5V range and much more usable range in the LP volume pot. However, the AGD unit is active. i will be running a Schiit Freya preamp in passive mode when it gets here. There is a post a few pages back on another balanced 100% passive pre amp option as well

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #725 of 5,150
Be careful with the bakelite savers on ebay. They're not made very well, and people have ruined gear with them. Tubemonger savers are the best. Here's a link to their site. Give them a few days to re-stock. Also, if you guys are going to be rolling tubes. Check out the Lyr rollers thread for all the rolling info you'll ever need.
Cheers
https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm
Great advice. Thanks.
I started out with the Lyr and can verify that there is a wealth of information in that thread regarding tube rolling.
Salute.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #726 of 5,150
After reading every bit of information on this (and other OTL/hybrid amps in my budget over the last few weeks), I think this is the upgrade I want to go for. Originally was looking for a tube/hybrid to go along side my Jotunheim, but thinking this will be an outright replacement. I am pretty treble sensitive, so am ready to ditch the glare of the Jotunheim. I primarily listen to vinyl, hoping this ends up being a good compliment to my setup. Glad I already have a SYS in my chain to deal with no gain settings (actually usually have to dial the sys down to 50-75% for the Jotunheim already). I think it will be a good compliment for my current headphones (HD 6XX, HD 58X, Monoprice 1060c with open back grills), and should future proof me for a TOTL purchase I am budgeting for next year (probably HD 800/HD 800s).

Anyone have any experience ording from Rakuten, in pactiulcar monoprice items available there? I ask because they are running a 20% back in their "Super Points" right now, which will translate to almost $140 back in points for future purchases. Not as good as a discount, but softens the blow of having to pay sales tax in WA. Is the Monoprice return/warraty policy still in place when ordered via rakuten?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #728 of 5,150
What glare?

Jotunheim = No glare in my system.

My LP is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Maybe the Jot will sound glary by comparison?

How old is your Jot? There was a silent revision that address the glare/treble issues.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #729 of 5,150
What glare?

Jotunheim = No glare in my system.

My LP is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Maybe the Jot will sound glary by comparison?

I would agree the "glare" issues with Jotunheim are overstated, but I can find the high end to be shouty/sterile for my tastes. Really was never a big issue with my Sennheisers, but can make the 1060c planars pretty artificial/fatiguing (granted the frequency response/presentation of the 1060cs could be contributing as well).

Either way, looking to move to something a bit more musical and laid back compared to the Schiit sound. Also wanting to move to something that may better tame the treble of HD800/s if I go that route.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #731 of 5,150
@heliosphann Interesting, thanks, I did not know that. I bought my Jot in late August 2016, which IIRC was around the time of the launch.

I have not verified this personally myself, but it has been reported by other users. I had a fairly new Jot that was made after the "revision" and I didn't find any glare issues.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #732 of 5,150
The Jot is so resolving that it could reveal 'glare' coming from upstream components such as a DAC and/or DAC-to-Jot interconnects. Also, I imagine the Jot could make certain cans sound glary. I listen primarily to the Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X and LCD-2F via my Jot. I have never noticed any glare with any of those cans.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #733 of 5,150
The Jot is so resolving that it could reveal 'glare' coming from upstream components such as a DAC and/or DAC-to-Jot interconnects. Also, I imagine the Jot could make certain cans sound glary. I listen primarily to the Focal Clear, Audeze LCD-X and LCD-2F via my Jot. I have never noticed any glare with any of those cans.

Interested to hear your thoughts on LP vs Jot when you get it tomorrow! I am probably going to pull the trigger in the next 24 hours either way to get that 20% back from rakuten, but will certainly be comparing the amps side-by-side before I sell the Jot.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #734 of 5,150
After I ordered the LP, I bought a Corpse Cable Gravedigger balanced headphone cable so I could try my LCD-X and LCD-2F using the LP's balanced output. The Corpse arrived last night. Right out of the box, it is so good with the LCD-X on the Jot's balanced output that I was almost second-guessing my decision to order the LP! Seriously, I will plan to post comments on LP vs. Jot, but it probably won't be until sometime next week at the earliest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back