Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #676 of 5,150
Nice thought on LP vs NFB1 with stock tubes?

mmm from memory, LP on stock EH tubes had a more dynamic sound than the AGD amp. If I didn't like experimenting with my gear, I would be quite happy with the stock tubes. But once a modder, always a modder... lol.

Reckon the NFB1-AMP is very smooth sounding, but depending on pairing i guess one could even say it is boring. E.g. my Audeze LCD2C is a very laid back headphone, and it sounds somewhat rolled off on vocals with the NFB1-AMP unless i switch my DAC's NOS mode to one that brings the vocals more forward, but I don't have to do that with the LP.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #677 of 5,150
Tube noob here. I was looking at socket savers, but can’t really tell which are correct for LP. When I google ‘6922 socket savers’ I get ‘9 pin minature’ socket savers. Is that correct?

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #678 of 5,150
I read on headphone guru that the treble,is grainy?!!!! Oh please, i just put an order on the amp and I’m quite treble sensitive. On;y listen to classical music here. I hope it can be a smooth sound...

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #679 of 5,150
Agree with MattTCG. Balanced cable will easily give most benefit bc then you are using the full capability of the amp.
Hello sir,
When you speak of balanced cables do you also mean balanced connectors to the input of the amp? I thought RCA or XLR conmectors would be as good; as long as we use the balanced output jack of the amp.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #680 of 5,150
I read on headphone guru that the treble,is grainy?!!!! Oh please, i just put an order on the amp and I’m quite treble sensitive. On;y listen to classical music here. I hope it can be a smooth sound...

That's actually @Hansotek review. I think you're misinterpreting what he said regarding how "grainy" the treble is.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #682 of 5,150
He says it has some grain and that it could be smoother.

He says it's not entirely grain free, if holding it to the "highest standards". He was referring to the smoothness of the Liquid Crimson (which I owned also) and that was almost a $3k amp. If it's just slightly more "grainy" than the Crimson, I think it's gonna be just fine...

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #683 of 5,150
He says it's not entirely grain free, if holding it to the "highest standards". He was referring to the smoothness of the Liquid Crimson (which I owned also) and that was almost a $3k amp. If it's just slightly more "grainy" than the Crimson, I think it's gonna be just fine...
I hope you’re right !

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #684 of 5,150
I hope you’re right !

I wouldn't sweat it. Even on the cheaper Cavalli offerings from Massdrop/Monoprice, I wouldn't classify any of them as having very grainy treble, let alone sibilant.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #685 of 5,150
I wouldn't sweat it. Even on the cheaper Cavalli offerings from Massdrop/Monoprice, I wouldn't classify any of them as having very grainy treble, let alone sibilant.
True. I do have the massdrop LC and don’t find it grainy; although it performs very well with my Denon 7200 it sucks (litterally sucks the life out) with the Alpha Prime.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #686 of 5,150
Never heard the Phoenix, but I have done an A/B comparison with the NFB1-AMP. My LP has been fitted with NOS Mullard tubes, branded Philips SQ (E188CC) and an LPS I shared in a post a couple of pages back.

Both amps fed by AGD R2R-R1 DAC, NFB1-AMP connected via ACSS cables whilst LP is via XLR. My A/B listening was done on Focal Elex with Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 cable.

One liner: IMHO, the LP has better sound stage and dynamics vs AGD, but the LP can sometimes sound a bit bright on badly mastered tracks.

I don't know 100% yet if it's the rest of my gear chain or the tubes I have rolled in, but I just avoid queuing the problem albums from my FLAC/DSD library when I'm listening on the LP.

The more mellow sound of the NFB1-AMP is more forgiving/laid back of bad albums, but also less engaging when i really want to just sit down and listen.

Having said that, when listening to stuff like rock with a lot of drums, guitars and everything jamming at the same time, the LP presents the music in a much more enjoyable manner to me.

I've got 2 PC rigs in my man cave, the LP is staying on the main rig for sure :)

Just an ironic note : Couldn't the slight "brightness" you mentioned be a problem with the Focal Elex, rather than the LP? I ask, because I have a metrum acoustics ambre and the Metrum Acoustic NOS DAC feeding my Liquid Platinum. The Metrum NOS DACs are generally known for being laidback, and they usually act the part with the Hifiman He-1000, or the Audeze LCD-X, or the Audeze LCDi4 playing on the attached LP : Wide, Airy, and deep sound-stage, black background,, great extension at both ends, and great detail retrieval with the treble smooth as a baby's bum...

A couple of weeks ago, however, I tried my newly acquired Focal Elex on the same rig, and it showed all the listed characteristics, with the exception of the "smooth" top end part. Using the stock balanced cable that came with the Elex showed the top-end harshness and aggressiveness at its worst. Replacing the stock cable with a Norne Draug v3 cable tamed things down and smoothen things out somewhat, but it did not eliminate the harshness entirely.. Finally, I replaced the Draug v3 with a Silvergarde S clear cable, and while it did not entirely eliminate all the aggressiveness, it toned it down enough to make the Elex listenable and even enjoyable... The experience was the same for all tracks I listened to, and not just for badly mastered ones... I was actually listening to a lot of ECM label Jazz albums on Roon/Tidal, and those are among some of the best mastered albums I can think of.

This encounter of the Elex with the LP in the chain I have described, eventually led to my decision to sell off the newly acquired Elex, with a lot of sadness, because I found a lot to like about the it otherwise. The point i am making is that, because all of my other cans have relatively much better synergy with the LP, and behave much better to my ears when playing the same albums on the same rig, I never really saw the the LP as the source of the Elex's harshness and glare. And that is what makes your conclusion interesting to me, as it is making me look at the LP in a different light for the first time.

Of course system synergy and subjective impressions are paramount, so the most reliable conclusion I could draw from my little experiment was that the Elex was either not entirely palatable to my own personal hearing faculties, or it wasn't always playing nice with my rig, and so I do not completely regret deciding to let it go. I thought the story was, however, worth sharing in the light of your own experience.

Hmm.. i generally don't have any problems with the Elex, I've owned them for quite a while and use them almost everyday as they are the most comfortable on my head.

I started the Elex with the AudioGD R2R-11 then the R2R-R1 + NFB1-AMP stack, so perhaps the combination of the Focal's dynamics and AGD's laid back / slightly dampened sound matched in a way that I never noticed any glare. I appreciate the LP's qualities as a sonic upgrade over my old AGD amp, but the problem tracks do get in my face now. Skip and listen another time with another set of cans I guess, doesn't bother me too much :)

Great setup UsoppNoKami...:wink: From your description, it appears your NFB1-AMP shares a similar sonic signature as my Violectric HPA V200, which pairs wonderfully with the Beyer DT-1990. I'm thinking the LP with proper NOS tubes will fill in a slight U shaped curve that these Beyers have, without any increase in treble hardness or grain. Have you rolled any other tubes in the LP other than those Mullards you mentioned, and maybe comment on how they affect the presentation?

BTW, can you please tell me who makes those beautiful wooden headphone stands?

mmm from memory, LP on stock EH tubes had a more dynamic sound than the AGD amp. If I didn't like experimenting with my gear, I would be quite happy with the stock tubes. But once a modder, always a modder... lol.

Reckon the NFB1-AMP is very smooth sounding, but depending on pairing i guess one could even say it is boring. E.g. my Audeze LCD2C is a very laid back headphone, and it sounds somewhat rolled off on vocals with the NFB1-AMP unless i switch my DAC's NOS mode to one that brings the vocals more forward, but I don't have to do that with the LP.

Hi fellas, just thought I'd update since I had so much to say over the last couple of pages.

I have figured out why I felt the LP sounded relatively 'bright' with bad tracks etc per the above.

I had some time today to do some testing, maintained the NOS Mullard-Philips SQ tubes:

(1) Went back to stock power supply, plugged into a Belkin surge protector power board
(2) LP-LPS-APC voltage regulator
(3) LP-LPS-belkin power board

(1) and (3) sounded equally good, with the LPS giving the LP slightly more volume (didnt touch the volume pot, just turned it off and let everything cool down between testing).

My problem was connection method (2) , which i had been using on my main PC rig. Didn't think much of it, but the APC unit must have some kind of filtering going on that dampened the sound. The bass and fullness of sound was less with this setup vs (1) and (3), which made things sound more top heavy especially on bad tracks. Didn't notice it earlier on my other rig when i was doing initial burn in and listening tests as there was no AVR there. @sahmen - listening to all my fav rock songs now on Elex, some of which i had marked problematic , and they are fine now.

I'm getting a Furutech e-TP80 in + cables fitted with Furutech's NCF power connectors in the next couple of days, gonna make sure the amps i have are powered properly without filtering whilst reducing AC noise. Good (noob) lesson learnt :)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #689 of 5,150
Hello sir,
When you speak of balanced cables do you also mean balanced connectors to the input of the amp? I thought RCA or XLR conmectors would be as good; as long as we use the balanced output jack of the amp.

Most important is using the balanced output as this utilizes the full performance of the amp. I always feel that with a balanced amp balanced in (XLR) and balanced out (XLR) is the best way to go. The Platinum's RCA input have a built-in phase splitter to ensure that the full balanced capability is used.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #690 of 5,150
q7BTPkXu3SGpjLhN8

It has arrived! Wasn't supposed to get here til' Thursday but I got a nice cyber Monday surprise!

This is my first tube amp, so I had a bit of a hard time getting the tubes placed due to user error. I was afraid to wiggle them in but once I did all was well.

Initial impressions are very good, and this thing smokes my old hdva600 even without burn-in. I'll wait to give a more detailed impression after spending a little more time with her, but man color me impressed.

Edit: I have a bit of rearranging and cable organization to do but as usual I couldn't wait; I am running balanced from my balanced Parasound ZDac.

Thanks Doc

LkRlCI5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back