Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 1, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #3,691 of 5,171
I'll try plugging the LP straight into the wall. No need to even have it on the strip with the other devices, and I have two separate outlets close enough to use. Thanks for the advice.
One more thought: surge protector for the LP.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #3,692 of 5,171
My LP is buzzing now regardless of the tubes I use. Is there a known issue with plugging it into a power strip with other stuff, or having it too close to, like, a wireless phone charger, or whatnot? It's definitely a tube hum, and mine has always seemed a bit tetchy... I set my phone too close to it once and it LOTS ITS DANG MIND until I turned it off and let it rest for a day.
Have you checked your source wall circuit has the proper polarity and grounding? A low cost circuit tester will do the trick to check this.

I have not had any issues with my mobile being sat right near my LP all day long. There is also a wireless changer inches away and never heard a buzzing sound with or without the mobile charging.
One more thought: surge protector for the LP.
^^^ A good recommendation. I use an small APC at the wall and have a decent power bar connected to that. Some noise cleansing but probably not as effective a UPS or power conditioner.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #3,693 of 5,171
My LP is buzzing now regardless of the tubes I use. Is there a known issue with plugging it into a power strip with other stuff, or having it too close to, like, a wireless phone charger, or whatnot? It's definitely a tube hum, and mine has always seemed a bit tetchy... I set my phone too close to it once and it LOTS ITS DANG MIND until I turned it off and let it rest for a day.

I have all of the switching power supplies and other potentially noisy gear plugged into a separate Tripp Lite Isobar. The Isobar has filtering that is supposed to filter out that sort of noise. It seems to work because I don't have buzzing or hum in my setup. Try separating the power plugs so that the switching mode and potentially noisy gear is plugged into a separate power strip that has filtering (like an Isobar). Then plug the other gear into a different power strip.

You also need to be mindful of ground loops and ground hum. Ground loop issues will affect all of your gear because it will travel through the interconnects that interconnect all of the gear. Look at your cable routing to make sure that power cables are separated from interconnect cables and other best practices for cable routing and ground loop avoidance.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #3,694 of 5,171
That took care of it! Got the Isobar, and it’s only powering the amp and DAC, no hum at all. Sounding fantastic.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #3,695 of 5,171
That took care of it! Got the Isobar, and it’s only powering the amp and DAC, no hum at all. Sounding fantastic.
From 🐝🐝🤬 ——> 🎶🎶 😀....

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #3,698 of 5,171

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,699 of 5,171
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #3,700 of 5,171
@Guidostrunk I actually bought a pair of these tubes (CBS 5814a) at a really good price from that seller. You are right on the money as usual. It is a very great and satisfying poor man's version of the 7730 for sure.
I agree. I bought two pairs from that seller and both pairs came quickly and were noise-free. Really nice treble clarity and air. Bass is pretty tight and nicely controlled. However the bass lacks presence compared to the GE 2x mica, black plate D-getter 5814A's that I picked up recently. The GE's are definitely warmer, lusher, and has considerably more bass presence to the point that its bass sounds a bit bloomy (probably some of the most bass that I've heard from a tube) at the expense of the clarity heard from the CBS 5814A when the two are put side by side. Technically, the CBS 5814A is better than the GE 5814A's. The triple mica GE D-getter gray plate 5814's that I received yesterday are more neutral than the GE 2x mica D-getter, more along the lines of the CBS so far.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,701 of 5,171
I agree. I bought two pairs from that seller and both pairs came quickly and were noise-free. Really nice treble clarity and air. Bass is pretty tight and nicely controlled. However the bass lacks presence compared to the GE 2x mica, black plate D-getter 5814A's that I picked up recently. The GE's are definitely warmer, lusher, and has considerably more bass presence to the point that its bass sounds a bit bloomy (probably some of the most bass that I've heard from a tube) at the expense of the clarity heard from the CBS 5814A when the two are put side by side. Technically, the CBS 5814A is better than the GE 5814A's. The triple mica GE D-getter gray plate 5814's that I received yesterday are more neutral than the GE 2x mica D-getter, more along the lines of the CBS so far.
Give it some burn in time on the CBS. I don't even judge tubes until I'm over the 100 hour mark. In the first 30 they change a lot and open up and settle in up to the 100 hour mark.
Edit: That's with all NOS tubes.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #3,703 of 5,171
Give it some burn in time on the CBS. I don't even judge tubes until I'm over the 100 hour mark. In the first 30 they change a lot and open up and settle in up to the 100 hour mark.
Edit: That's with all NOS tubes.
Yeah, these tubes were labeled as used and their measured results were below their respective NOS values. Then again, NOS values are not really set in stone for any tube tester.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,705 of 5,171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back