Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 28, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,676 of 5,171
did he at least use the xlr out ? the amp is useless SE out.

I didn't even realize how much of an impact this has. Even if you're doing a SE end source if you use a XLR cable for your headphones you still benefit. The detail, blackness of background, and power are way better out of the XLR. It's no contest.

Feb 28, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #3,678 of 5,171
Ouch at that point I would just put that money towards a used Manley absolute or something similar. Once the tubes cost more than the amp I’m done. Even worse what if you bought them and they were your perfect match then you would have to find a backup pair.
I hear you on spending more on tubes than what the amps worth. There's a few of us on here that tried the rehab thing but unfortunately it never worked 😂

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #3,680 of 5,171
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #3,682 of 5,171
My LP is buzzing now regardless of the tubes I use. Is there a known issue with plugging it into a power strip with other stuff, or having it too close to, like, a wireless phone charger, or whatnot? It's definitely a tube hum, and mine has always seemed a bit tetchy... I set my phone too close to it once and it LOTS ITS DANG MIND until I turned it off and let it rest for a day.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,684 of 5,171
My LP is buzzing now regardless of the tubes I use. Is there a known issue with plugging it into a power strip with other stuff, or having it too close to, like, a wireless phone charger, or whatnot? It's definitely a tube hum, and mine has always seemed a bit tetchy... I set my phone too close to it once and it LOTS ITS DANG MIND until I turned it off and let it rest for a day.

My LP is plugged into a power strip with a ton of other stuff, and I do not have any humming issue.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #3,685 of 5,171
Is any of the “other stuff” in the power strip non-audio equipment? i.e., computer / charger / clock. Also, is there an internet modem or router nearby? These items may be generating frequency interference.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #3,686 of 5,171
Is any of the “other stuff” in the power strip non-audio equipment? i.e., computer / charger / clock. Also, is there an internet modem or router nearby? These items may be generating frequency interference.
Yeah, a fair bit, actually. iPhone wireless charger, old-ass alarm clock, iFi Zen Blue (which is the source for the LP via 2.5mm-->dual XLR), Switch, laptop charger, smartwatch charger... it's my bedside table setup.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #3,687 of 5,171
What do you guys think of pairing the LP with a schiit modius dac and HD6xx's? With a balanced cable of course. I'd also run a phono preamp RCA'd into the LP and I see a nice little input switch to change as needed. This would be my first step into the game, and after a couple months of learning this is the plan that arose... getting itchy to start buying but not looking to let my ignorance lead me to a compatibility or otherwise silly mistake. Not too long ago the Valhalla 2 was the primary amp contender in mind but this thread changed that, so that's why I'm asking here.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,688 of 5,171
Yeah, a fair bit, actually. iPhone wireless charger, old-ass alarm clock, iFi Zen Blue (which is the source for the LP via 2.5mm-->dual XLR), Switch, laptop charger, smartwatch charger... it's my bedside table setup.
If your room setup allows, maybe have the audio gear in one power strip and the non-audio gear in another strip. This might be a stretch 🤔🤞but have the power strips plugged into different outlets...

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,689 of 5,171
What do you guys think of pairing the LP with a schiit modius dac and HD6xx's? With a balanced cable of course. I'd also run a phono preamp RCA'd into the LP and I see a nice little input switch to change as needed. This would be my first step into the game, and after a couple months of learning this is the plan that arose... getting itchy to start buying but not looking to let my ignorance lead me to a compatibility or otherwise silly mistake. Not too long ago the Valhalla 2 was the primary amp contender in mind but this thread changed that, so that's why I'm asking here.
Should be a great rig.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #3,690 of 5,171
If your room setup allows, maybe have the audio gear in one power strip and the non-audio gear in another strip. This might be a stretch 🤔🤞but have the power strips plugged into different outlets...
I'll try plugging the LP straight into the wall. No need to even have it on the strip with the other devices, and I have two separate outlets close enough to use. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back