Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 29, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #181 of 5,150
A while back about June, I asked the guys from ZeroZone (Glozone in Aliexpress, a chinese LPS maker) if they can make a 36V version of their LPS and they say yes.

Link to LPS in question: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.50.706b7d74oiO7kp

But hoping Monoprice could make a matching LPS for it.
Similar thinking. I saw this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122866202627?ul_noapp=true
on eBay, and sent the folllowing:

Hello: Monoprice is coming out with a new power amplifier:
Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305

It uses a 36V 1.5A power supply, and will come with a (presumably lower quality) switching power supply. A number of us who have been waiting for this amp to come out, and discussing it on Head-fi have been looking for a Linear Power Supply which could be used with it.

I see that you seem to deal in such products. Could you build such a power supply? I think there will be a market for quite a few units, especially once the amp comes out.

It's possible that a number of us could get together for a group buy of 10 - 20 units, which might make it worth your time to work on this.

Thanks, Xxxx
They responded:
Hello
Ok, we can custom-make one of this linear power supply DC36V 1.5A.

for 1 unit, The price 135USD

for group buy of 10 - 20 units. the price can be 110USD/unit

all the price is not include postage.

It's great to have options, but I have no idea how to pick the best one.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #182 of 5,150
110v only? RIP

What about the rest of the world? No switch.

Thats a real kick in the teeth for users outside of the U.S

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #188 of 5,150
Thanks! Save us the hassle to buy another.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #191 of 5,150
Sep 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #192 of 5,150
On the Power Supply Front, I recently sent a note to SBooster, inquiring about a possible Sbooster LPS for the Liquid Platinum, and also a possible group buy, and this is the response I have just received from them:

Hello .....,

Thank you for your email and nice to read that you are using one of our upgrade products.

I have checked the Monoprice Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier and it looks like a very nice tube amplifier. I understand immediately your idea that the Amplifier might need a power supply upgrade to perform at its best.

Unfortunately the linear power supplies that we have in our program go to 24V maximum. The output ratings of our current designs cannot easily be adjusted to 35V – 1.5A and an audio grade version from our side needs to be developed from scratch.

The philosophy of our products is not just selling power supplies, we sell sound quality improvement products. The development of a new unit not only involves the technical design of the product, afterwards we spend a lot of time in fine tuning and optimising the sound quality performance of the unit. Due to the introduction of our new MKII range, time is lacking at this moment to arrange this on time for your group buy.

I am sorry that we cannot help you further.

Have a nice day.

Met vriendelijke groet/ Kind regards,

Sbooster

Wiebren Draaijer

Now my understanding is that given their exactingly demanding conditions of production, and their concern with sound quality performance, which requires a lot of time and fine-tuning, they cannot realistically consider producing an LPS for a product that is scheduled for release one month from now, especially not when a group-buy is involved...

I am not entirely giving up on them, though, because, I think it is those very demanding standards of theirs, and especially, their obsession with producing great sound quality, that make their products particularly attractive for a unit such as the Liquid Platinum.

All Linear Power Supplies are not created Equal, as I'm sure everyone would agree. A patiently fine-tuned LPS, that is optimized for great sound quality would, eventually, be much preferable, in my opinion, than a more easily obtainable one that only produces mediocre or lackluster results... I want to continue encouraging SBooster to consider making an LPS for the Liquid Platinum, even if it would take them a whole year to come up with one that meets their exacting requirements... I would always be willing to give an LPS like that a trial, even if it comes out a year or two from now...

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #195 of 5,150
Am I the only one that feels like this:

upload_2018-9-11_16-1-6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back