Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Aug 22, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #151 of 5,150
Measured Zo is approx 0.1R balanced 0.05R SE. Each amp will vary slightly from this.

I have learned that what an amp sounds like depends a lot on the listener. So, I think best for me is to let the community of buyers comment when they can.

Hansotek will have further comments and info as we approach Monolith's release date. This date is not known to me at the point.

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #154 of 5,150
1. May I know the output impedance for both SE and Balanced ?
Plan to at least use sensitive IEM for the SE part ( at least )

2. What is the amp signature?
Neutral/Warm
Thick Mids which I love

3. Does it have good heft with regards to the bass dept. ?

Thanks
1.) which IEM?

2.) I would say very slightly warm. If you really value the mids, you are probably going to love this amp. Rich, velvety mids for sure. The word that comes to mind for me, strange as it may seem, is “smokey”. This amp will smoke your tunes like a brisket for 13 hours until they fall off the bone on the other side. The sound is simultaneously succulent and badass. It’s leather and velvet. I’m not sure if any of what I just said makes any sense, but that’s the same secret sauce as the Liquid Crimson had.

3.) I would say so. It pleases me and I’m pretty picky. I guess it depends on your point of reference and the headphone you are using. Different headphones respond to different design elements differently. What amp are you coming from and what headphone are you using?

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #155 of 5,150
The word that comes to mind for me, strange as it may seem, is “smokey”. This amp will smoke your tunes like a brisket for 13 hours until they fall off the bone on the other side. The sound is simultaneously succulent and badass. It’s leather and velvet.
I guess this amp is not vegan-friendly... Good thing I am a carnivore!! :poultry_leg:

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #156 of 5,150
1.) which IEM?

2.) I would say very slightly warm. If you really value the mids, you are probably going to love this amp. Rich, velvety mids for sure. The word that comes to mind for me, strange as it may seem, is “smokey”. This amp will smoke your tunes like a brisket for 13 hours until they fall off the bone on the other side. The sound is simultaneously succulent and badass. It’s leather and velvet. I’m not sure if any of what I just said makes any sense, but that’s the same secret sauce as the Liquid Crimson had.

3.) I would say so. It pleases me and I’m pretty picky. I guess it depends on your point of reference and the headphone you are using. Different headphones respond to different design elements differently. What amp are you coming from and what headphone are you using?

I'm actually using LCD-X with the Geek Pulse Balanced. I'm looking to replace the amp part of the Geek Pulse. i also have a Massdrop Plus.

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #157 of 5,150
I'm actually using LCD-X with the Geek Pulse Balanced. I'm looking to replace the amp part of the Geek Pulse. i also have a Massdrop Plus.

I’ll check with similar gear... do you know the DAC’s voltage output for the Geek Pulse?

Aug 23, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #158 of 5,150
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #160 of 5,150
I meant other factors such as the power supply, the physical size of the amplifier and the amount of class-A bias will probably have a greater effect on the sound, versus the balanced or unbalanced configuration. And how much effect any one of those has will depend on the headphone.

For example, a Fostex TH900’s sound is greatly impacted by an amplifier’s power supply. Will the Platinum be able to give you the same level of otherworldly impact as the Crimson?

A low efficiency headphone like an Abyss or HE-6 will be greatly impacted by the class-A/class-A/B bias and the amplifier’s ability to dissipate heat. What, if any, changes can we expect?

These are the bigger factors I’m trying to suss out. Balanced vs. unbalanced is a highly speculative question, since the Crimson didn’t have balanced mode.

What I can tell you so far is that running a mid-efficiency headphone like the HE500 at medium volume in balanced mode sounds super similar to the Crimson. Not sure if I could tell the difference blind, based on my memory. I can also tell you this is the best pairing I’ve heard so far for the Campfire Cascade - like next level synergy there.

That’s about all I have so far, I still have to really put it through the rigors to see how it performs with different headphones.

Wow! It is certainly great that you're considering all these extra useful factors, and your efforts as a reviewer are very welcome and appreciated. Your mention of the He-500 is particularly appreciated, since it is one of the favored cans in my stable... I got rid of my He-6 when I eventually got tired of getting all kinds of new amps for it, only to be told on this site that there are still, even more expensive, more bulky, and more powerful amps, that will make for a better pairing with it... I am an ardent enthusiast, but I am not masochistic enough to relish life in a rabbit hole of which the bottom is always receding :) . I did like what I could get from the He-6 with my class A HP amps, and speaker amps, but someone here was always making me suspect, in spite of my best efforts, that I could get a little more bass extension, or more separation, or more air, or more what have you, with a different amp...

Well, I find life with the other cans I have, the He-500, He-1000, the Audeze LCD-X, and even the Sennheiser HD-800, to be a lot less stressful in that respect, not to mention less expensive. :)

Coming back to the Liquid Platinum, I am all in for the LPS group-buy idea... I wonder whether I should ask the folks at Sbooster, whether they might be interested.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #162 of 5,150
Wow! It is certainly great that you're considering all these extra useful factors, and your efforts as a reviewer are very welcome and appreciated. Your mention of the He-500 is particularly appreciated, since it is one of the favored cans in my stable... I got rid of my He-6 when I eventually got tired of getting all kinds of new amps for it, only to be told on this site that there are still, even more expensive, more bulky, and more powerful amps, that will make for a better pairing with it... I am an ardent enthusiast, but I am not masochistic enough to relish life in a rabbit hole of which the bottom is always receding :) . I did like what I could get from the He-6 with my class A HP amps, and speaker amps, but someone here was always making me suspect, in spite of my best efforts, that I could get a little more bass extension, or more separation, or more air, or more what have you, with a different amp...

Well, I find life with the other cans I have, the He-500, He-1000, the Audeze LCD-X, and even the Sennheiser HD-800, to be a lot less stressful in that respect, not to mention less expensive. :)

Coming back to the Liquid Platinum, I am all in for the LPS group-buy idea... I wonder whether I should ask the folks at Sbooster, whether they might be interested.

Thanks. Yeah, my experience was similar with the HE-6.

I would also be all in on the linear power supply. I would not be the least bit surprised if Monoprice decided to do one. I really hope they do.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #165 of 5,150
Thanks. Yeah, my experience was similar with the HE-6.

I would also be all in on the linear power supply. I would not be the least bit surprised if Monoprice decided to do one. I really hope they do.
Yes, a monoprice LPS for this would be awesome, provided it is well-made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back