Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #1,606 of 5,150
No sir, not as of yet.

Next step is upgrading to Gumby then I'll evaluate my amp situation.
Gumby is my next purchase and then I will be at my endgame.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,607 of 5,150
Highly recommend this DAC, should be a huge upgrade for you, I have not heard better yet, but it is the first dac I have listened to that was to me as important or nearly as important as an amp choice. You will get quite a bit more power from the amp running full balanced.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,608 of 5,150
Highly recommend this DAC, should be a huge upgrade for you, I have not heard better yet, but it is the first dac I have listened to that was to me as important or nearly as important as an amp choice. You will get quite a bit more power from the amp running full balanced.
Good to know! I ultimately bought this amp to pair with my being built ZMF Aeolus, and the Gumby. So 2 pieces of the pie, are paid for, and the last is being saved up for. . .

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #1,609 of 5,150
Probably at heavy profit on ebay if you please. Though it's a rather redundant device with a good Hybrid. I could see owning a Hybrid and Tube amp perhaps, but a hybrid, tube, and solid state. Not so much. I find the head-amp of the RME ADI-2 to be extremely clean and detailed and responds very well to EQ, it's a bit flat and lifeless without EQ, but has plenty of power and slam for the HD650. While I'd imagine the 789 slightly better, considering how close the Head-Amp is to my Jotunheim, it can't be much better. At least for 300 OHM or less loads. I am considering either a hybrid or OTL tube amp at this point, also considering forgoing an amp altogether, and buying a nice 800-1200$ pair of IEM's to pair with the ADI's IEM amp. Im a bit tired of purchasing "Mid-Fi" gear at this point, I could "upgrade" to a better transducer (expensive IEM) and let the ADI drive it, as it's quite capable in that regard.... If I spend 800-1500$ for a "not midfi" head-amp, to pair with my "not midfi" RME-ADI-2, that will leave no budget for a good while, for a "Not mid-fi" transducer.. currently have HD650, which, at one time was rather high end, back in 2005... it's firmly "Mid-fi" these days, and it's value, totally wreckt by massdrop. Alas the dilema... ADI-2 + High end IEM, or ADI 2 + High end AMP, and mid-fi transducers.

I've been pairing the RME ADI-2 DAC with my LP and the combo is fantastic.
My HD 800S has never sounded so lively.
The EQ is just the cherry on top.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,611 of 5,150
I've been pairing the RME ADI-2 DAC with my LP and the combo is fantastic.
My HD 800S has never sounded so lively.
The EQ is just the cherry on top.
800s does sound sweeter with properly applied EQ in my opinion for recent music which are not great recordings.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,613 of 5,150
Since we are talking about DACs anyone paired LP with any of MHDT Labs DAC?

Feb 13, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #1,614 of 5,150
No sir, not as of yet.

Next step is upgrading to Gumby then I'll evaluate my amp situation.

Why would anybody want to upgrade Gumby?

GUMBY.jpg

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #1,616 of 5,150
Feb 14, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,617 of 5,150
Currently owned a CTH pairing with elex and kennerton Odin.

I wonder if there are any ex-cth owners who upgraded to LP , please share your upgrade thoughts. Thanks

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #1,618 of 5,150
Currently owned a CTH pairing with elex and kennerton Odin.

I wonder if there are any ex-cth owners who upgraded to LP , please share your upgrade thoughts. Thanks

I sold my CTH when I received the Lyr 3, which I thought was superior in clarity, dynamics, and pace. The CTH had better tone and headstage, when I bought the LP, the Lyr 3 was displaced. The LP has the dynamics and pace, plus the rich tone and headstage.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,619 of 5,150
I'm curious what DACs people here are using with their Liquid Platinum? Planning on getting an LP and looking at the RME ADI-2 to pair with it, but curious what others are using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back