Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Feb 8, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #1,576 of 5,150
Is there anybody plays HE1000 V2 with LP? I wonder LP is powerful enough to get the best of the can. HE1000 V2 is told to do its best with a very powerful amp. 35 ohm impedance and 90db sensitivity. Some use a speaker amp to play the can.

LP is plenty powerful enough for the HE1000V2.

I have the Arya, which had the same driver specs. No issues whatsoever.

Also have the HE1000SE now, which is slightly more sensitive, the dynamics are good with both headphones.

IMG_20190208_133325.jpg IMG_20181225_165848.jpg

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,578 of 5,150
Is there anybody plays HE1000 V2 with LP? I wonder LP is powerful enough to get the best of the can. HE1000 V2 is told to do its best with a very powerful amp. 35 ohm impedance and 90db sensitivity. Some use a speaker amp to play the can.
Yes, I have HEKv2 & LP. No power shortage -- I couldn't possibly listen past about 11:00 on the dial. Mostly 8:30 - 10ish, depending on the track.

I'm referring to listening to my Pontus ==> LP ==> HEKv2, all balanced connections.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,579 of 5,150
Thanks for sharing your photos. How's your impression for the LP + HE1000 v2 combo?
Is the can worth the epic $3000 price tag? I own focal elex, it's wonderful can but not super impressive. Wondering if it's worth to upgrade to HE1000 v2.

Also have the HE1000SE now, which is slightly more sensitive, the dynamics are good with both headphones.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #1,580 of 5,150
How's your impression for the LP + HE1000 v2 combo?
Is the can worth the epic $3000 price tag? I own focal elex, it's wonderful can but not super impressive. Wondering if it's worth to upgrade to HE1000 v2.

Yes, I have HEKv2 & LP. No power shortage -- I couldn't possibly listen past about 11:00 on the dial. Mostly 8:30 - 10ish, depending on the track.

I'm referring to listening to my Pontus ==> LP ==> HEKv2, all balanced connections.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,581 of 5,150

With the LP in your system can you hear the differences in sound signature between the Arya and HE1000se's? Are the two more alike than different when driven by the LP?

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,582 of 5,150
How's your impression for the LP + HE1000 v2 combo?
I actually haven't spent that much time with HEKv2/LP combo. Loving the Utopia/LP & Ether 2/LP combos (and Auteur w/ any amp) so much that I just haven't gotten there yet. I'll give it a little time this weekend and let you know.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,583 of 5,150
I realized after a bit of listening, the sound stage is pretty avg sized, not large with this amp as there are larger.

I think the mid-forwardness contributes to this as the HD800S for example has lower than neutral mids, which I believe contributes to sound stage perception. Similarly HEK is lean in the mids as well, and creates perception of spaciousness.

LP lower-mids sounds a bit emphasized, pushing that warmth.

I definately like what it does to upper-mids of the HD800S. Sounds more energy there with more definition and textures. Because HD800S can come off a bit thin sounding with not much body if upper-mids get fainter sounding.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,584 of 5,150
I agree
I realized after a bit of listening, the sound stage is pretty avg sized, not large with this amp as there are larger.

I think the mid-forwardness contributes to this as the HD800S for example has lower than neutral mids, which I believe contributes to sound stage perception. Similarly HEK is lean in the mids as well, and creates perception of spaciousness.

LP lower-mids sounds a bit emphasized, pushing that warmth.

I definately like what it does to upper-mids of the HD800S. Sounds more energy there with more definition and textures. Because HD800S can come off a bit thin sounding with not much body if upper-mids get fainter sounding.
I agree the stage is not the widest, but just right. With the Amperex 7308, i am getting depth, front to back and width wider, but not much. It feels like i am sitting inside the music ( center stage ), with a good 3d like feel. I am really enjoying this.

I listened with my Lyr 3 with Sylvania 1952 Bad Boy, this morning, for the first time since getting the LP, and it puts everything a bit further away and more relaxed. It is nice to have both.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #1,585 of 5,150
Thanks for sharing your photos. How's your impression for the LP + HE1000 v2 combo?

I have the Elex as well, don't have the HE1000V2 but I am very familiar with it having spent many hours with one. For the cost of the upgrade to HE1Kv2 vs what it brings to the table, I would actually steer you to consider the Arya. It isn't 100% the same as the HE1Kv2, but at half the cost it's a winner like the Elex vs Clear. And to be clear, Arya > Elex for sure, tho I still do love the Elex.

But if you are OK with the budget for a HE1000V2, then don't stop there - the extra for the HE1000SE is worth it. The HE1000SE is a real improvement over its predecessor and deserves its TOTL tag.

Impressions with LP:
The LP on its own drives the HE1000SE easily. Great dynamics, great sound. But for my tastes, a bit too clean. I've been enjoying the HE1000SE on my Cayin HA-1A mk2 amp more. My tube roll there - 12au7 Telefunkens, EL84 amperex bugle boy treble clef, and 12DT5 RCA rectifier. Richer sound than what I can get out of the LP, so that's what I have been listening to mainly. Having said that, the LP as an amp is still a great pairing with the HE1k series.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,586 of 5,150
With the LP in your system can you hear the differences in sound signature between the Arya and HE1000se's? Are the two more alike than different when driven by the LP?

Arya is closer to the HE1000V2 sound. It has a bit more bass than the V2, a touch less clarity but probably won't notice it without A/B. The V2 lacks a bit of kick after listening to the Arya first, but has that touch more clarity.

The HE1000SE does everything better - great bass, transparency, balanced sound from lows to highs.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,587 of 5,150
Question

I have two different DACs connected first via XLR is the SMSL SU-8 v2 and second is the Oppo BDP 105D via RCA, question about the LP concerning the input selector button, I was playing music through the Oppo via RCA input on the LP and when the input selector button was on the XLR balanced input I could hear the music playing via the RCA input if I turned the volume up. Obviously once I selected the rca input I would hear the music as normal but I am curious as to why I could hear the music when the input selector was on balanced if the volume was turned up and RCA input is what was playing, is this normal or is something wrong with my Liquid Platinum? My headphones were connected via the XLR balanced output.

Thank you

Jeremy

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,588 of 5,150
Looks like no stock of this until mid april now. I wonder if the new batch will have better reliability. Still on the fence with this one, I did pick up an RME ADI-2 Dac that im really enjoying now, so at least the gain problem would be easy to fix.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,589 of 5,150
Looks like no stock of this until mid april now. I wonder if the new batch will have better reliability. Still on the fence with this one, I did pick up an RME ADI-2 Dac that im really enjoying now, so at least the gain problem would be easy to fix.
It says out of stock in Monoprice but there are few left in Amazon if you are interested.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,590 of 5,150
I am well over the 100 hour mark and I am still getting blown away, by this amp. Things have really opened up and 2 things keep coming to mind, transient response and tonality.

Schiit Modi Multibit - Liquid Platinum - Amperex 7308 (1963) - ZMF Ori - Excellent transient response and tonality (lifelike sound), with 3 d effect. The mids are to die for, and nothing else is lacking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back