Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Feb 12, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #406 of 694
Very nice amp! No mention of price though - usually a bad sign...
Multiply the cost of thread topic amp by 2 :)

But if you are upgrading from the Liquid Platinum which is already a $799 amp thats not too much of a stretch.

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #407 of 694
Please use the balanced headphone jack when discussing sound quality of the Liquid Gold X or Liquid Platinum. Pretend that the single-ended jack doesn't even exist. The balanced headphone jack makes a noticeable and important difference. It really does. The balanced headphone output is why the amps were designed.

And please also mention what DAC or source is being used. The quality and character of the DAC makes a difference in how the amps sound. These amps are transparent to the source. The sound character of the source will affect how the amp sounds moreso than lesser amps.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #408 of 694
I'm getting a bit confused here. I have recently purchased the LP to go with my R6 2020 as my desktop system. I've seen raved reviews, then some with dissing the single versus dual rail setup. Then, people are sending it in for after-market upgrades.

So what does a person do that has decent audio quality experience but doesn't want to mess around with review details, some of which are of questionable sources. I'm running R6 2020 and powered speakers as my desktop. ZMFs and a Grado GH2. IEMs=not so much.

So keep the LP or move on? I like the tube as part of the hybrid or total amp design.

Many, many thanks!!!

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #409 of 694
I'm getting a bit confused here. I have recently purchased the LP to go with my R6 2020 as my desktop system. I've seen raved reviews, then some with dissing the single versus dual rail setup. Then, people are sending it in for after-market upgrades.

So what does a person do that has decent audio quality experience but doesn't want to mess around with review details, some of which are of questionable sources. I'm running R6 2020 and powered speakers as my desktop. ZMFs and a Grado GH2. IEMs=not so much.

So keep the LP or move on? I like the tube as part of the hybrid or total amp design.

Many, many thanks!!!
I don't think it's worth upgrading from the LP to the LGX, too similar with dynamic headphones like you have. I also don't think the LP aftermarket upgrades are worth it.

If you are happy with LP then keep using it. If you want to take the next big leap while retaining a similar type of sound as LP, then the DNA Starlett is probably your best bet, and it costs about twice as much as LGX: http://dnaudio.com/DNA-Starlett-headphone-amplifier.html

The LGX is a good amp for someone who A) wants an all in one, or B) doesn't like tubes for whatever reason, or C) has planars with high power demands. For current LP owners it's a tough sell IMO.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #411 of 694

Many, many thanks!!!
Simple: If you like it, keep it.

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #412 of 694
I finally got time to A/B the LAuX and Burson Conductor 3 X Performance. The bottom line: I'm keeping the Burson and returning the LAuX. The LAuX is, in fact, liquid gold on my Focal Clear, but it is a one-trick pony. To achieve its glowing sound, it shaves off a significant amount of upper end and bumps the low end. I absolutely love how it sounds, but it has just one sound, and that sound doesn't give me everything I want (everything's a compromise, isn't it?).

When I compare it to the C3XP, I realize that the LAuX isn't giving me the full picture of what is in the music. That manifests itself most obviously with a smaller soundstage because our brains interpret longer reverb tails as indicative of larger spaces (think clapping in a cathedral vs. closet) but since the LAuX tilts the highs down so much, reverb tails drop below audibility sooner than they're supposed to, so they sound shorter, thereby shrinking the perceived size of the space the sound--and therefore you the listener--occupies. The Burson, probably like a lot of solid-state designs, doesn't do that. The C3XP tilts slightly towards the warmer side to my ears compared to completely neutral, especially after engaging the CMFR filter, but I like that. If I want an even warmer presentation, I can EQ down some of the highs or roll the op-amps. (Why not just EQ up the highs of the LAuX? My personal preference is to use EQ to cut rather than to boost because it's mathematically harder to create information where it doesn't exist than to remove information that is already there.) The C3XP is not as warm and lovely as the LAuX, but I decided that the versatility of the Burson--with its filters and op-amp rollability--as well as the complete sound spectrum and soundstage it renders, is the better long-term investment for me.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #413 of 694
I finally got time to A/B the LAuX and Burson Conductor 3 X Performance. The bottom line: I'm keeping the Burson and returning the LAuX. The LAuX is, in fact, liquid gold on my Focal Clear, but it is a one-trick pony. To achieve its glowing sound, it shaves off a significant amount of upper end and bumps the low end. I absolutely love how it sounds, but it has just one sound, and that sound doesn't give me everything I want (everything's a compromise, isn't it?).

When I compare it to the C3XP, I realize that the LAuX isn't giving me the full picture of what is in the music. That manifests itself most obviously with a smaller soundstage because our brains interpret longer reverb tails as indicative of larger spaces (think clapping in a cathedral vs. closet) but since the LAuX tilts the highs down so much, reverb tails drop below audibility sooner than they're supposed to, so they sound shorter, thereby shrinking the perceived size of the space the sound--and therefore you the listener--occupies. The Burson, probably like a lot of solid-state designs, doesn't do that. The C3XP tilts slightly towards the warmer side to my ears compared to completely neutral, especially after engaging the CMFR filter, but I like that. If I want an even warmer presentation, I can EQ down some of the highs or roll the op-amps. (Why not just EQ up the highs of the LAuX? My personal preference is to use EQ to cut rather than to boost because it's mathematically harder to create information where it doesn't exist than to remove information that is already there.) The C3XP is not as warm and lovely as the LAuX, but I decided that the versatility of the Burson--with its filters and op-amp rollability--as well as the complete sound spectrum and soundstage it renders, is the better long-term investment for me.
Thanks for the impressions! I've been considering this as an all in one unit for bedroom listening, but I might go with tried and true LP instead, with my own DAC.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #414 of 694
I was thinking about trying the liquid gold, saw it was available from walmart and I figured it would be easy to return there...but then I noticed the shipping price...what do you guys think? Should I spring for the 3 day shipping upgrade? :laughing: :laughing:

1614225832802.png

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #416 of 694
Anyone having any issues with the heat on this thing?(Liquid Gold) mine seems to get extremely hot.

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #417 of 694
Anyone having any issues with the heat on this thing?(Liquid Gold) mine seems to get extremely hot.
Hi, I have my LauX stacked on top of the SMSL M400 DAC and it gets slightly warm but nowhere near hot. Expect it may get a little warmer in the summer as I live in Connecticut and the room it’s in will not be as cool during that time of the year. Even during the burn period when it was on for many consecutive hours, the operating temp was not a concern. I don’t have anything impeding the venting at the top of the amp. Hope this info is helpful.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #418 of 694
A
Hi, I have my LauX stacked on top of the SMSL M400 DAC and it gets slightly warm but nowhere near hot. Expect it may get a little warmer in the summer as I live in Connecticut and the room it’s in will not be as cool during that time of the year. Even during the burn period when it was on for many consecutive hours, the operating temp was not a concern. I don’t have anything impeding the venting at the top of the amp. Hope this info is helpful.
are you running SE or balanced? I remember having the original Liquid Carbon and it overheated when you ran SE instead of balanced. I also had the Liquid Gold but don’t remember any heating issues running in either

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #419 of 694
A

are you running SE or balanced? I remember having the original Liquid Carbon and it overheated when you ran SE instead of balanced. I also had the Liquid Gold but don’t remember any heating issues running in either
Hmmm, thats something I would not have considered as a factor. Running balanced DAC to LauX to Auteur.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #420 of 694
I am really enjoying my Liquid Gold X with my Audeze LCD-2. That combo has great synergy - I haven't heard the LCD-2 sound as good with any other amp. With some amps the treble on the LCD-2 can get a little sharp to my ears, but with the Liquid Gold X there is no trace of that - just musical enjoyment. Wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back