Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Dec 15, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #512 of 694
Jan 12, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #513 of 694
Z really needs to read the manual for the gear he reviews before reviewing the gear. It is obvious he has never read a manual for any of the gear he owns or has reviewed. Almost every question and concern he had about the Liquid Gold X was answered or addressed in the manual.

First one I'll get out of the way is that you should not casually plug and unplug RCA cables while the gear is powered on. It is too easy to accidentally short the connection by touching the center pin to ground and fry something in the source gear or amp gear. Or if you're lucky just blow a fuse in the gear. Yes you can hot-swap RCA, until that one time where you can't and you fry something. Don't do it. Power off the gear and then plug in the RCA cables. Then power the gear back on. The manual for the Liquid Gold X actually mentions this and says not to make any electrical connections while the amp or source are on. It is less risk to hot-plug XLR cables because it is more difficult and less likely to cause a short while plugging in an XLR cable compared to an RCA cable. You can get away with hot-plugging XLR compared to RCA. But should still power down the gear if you're not willing to risk frying the source or amp. This is common knowledge that someone like Z should know and demonstrate. He's a bit sloppy. I have a Schiit multibit DAC. I power it down and the amp whenever making cable changes. Even though the DAC takes some time to recover after being turned off.

The manual also mentions that there will be a small DC transient on the output when changing the gain setting. This is to be expected. It is not a fault. The manual also says that if your headphones are very sensitive or if you are worried about the DC transient that you should turn the amp off before changing the gain setting. Then turn the amp back on.

The manual also mentions that best practice is to disconnect and connect headphones while the amp is off. The amp has checks during the power on sequence that check for DC offset and prevent any DC offset from hitting the headphone output during the power on sequence. So it is safe, and preferred, to have the headphones connected when the amp is being turned on. Some amps will say not to have headphones connected while powering the amp on. Some amps will say to have the headphones connected while powering the amp on. It is very beneficial to read the manual and find out what the designer of the amp suggests and recommends. Cause you can't always assume. RTFM.

The manual also mentions that plugging in and unplugging headphones while the amp is powered on can trigger the DC offset or ground fault protection that the amp monitors. So plugging in a headphone or unplugging a headphone while the amp is on could trigger the amp to detect a fault and power off. This is more likely to happen with the single-ended TRS connection than the balanced 4-pin XLR connection. So with this amp the best practice is to avoid hot-plugging headphones while the amp is on. If you must hot-plug then the balanced connection is less risk.

The manual also mentions that the balanced headphone output is the best quality and if you're evaluating the amp for review purposes or audio quality purposes you should judge the amp based on the balanced output and not the single-ended output. Z kinda ignored that advice.

Similar for balanced XLR inputs versus the single-ended RCA inputs. If you're being critical in reviewing or listening you should use a balanced DAC to review if you actually care about finding out what the amp is capable of. The single-ended RCA inputs do work find and sound fine. But the balanced XLR inputs do sound a little bit better. At the level and quality this amp is playing at that little difference makes a difference.

Z pretty much ignored or was ignorant of almost every bit of advice or best practices stated in the manual. He really should know better by now considering how much gear he's reviewed. The review was pretty much an example of everything not to do.

One thing I do agree with about the review is that Liquid Butter is a good way to describe the amp. Liquid Gold is also a good way. The sound is buttery gold good.
@Ham Sandwich Thanks for useful info and impressions regarding this amp.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #514 of 694
Has anyone had the privilege of comparing this amp to the original? Originally I was planning on spending $2k on the V280/V281 but I came across a 'good' deal on the OG LAu. Now I'm trying to decide which one I should get. By good deal, I mean still out of my price point but doable.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #515 of 694
Has anyone had the privilege of comparing this amp to the original? Originally I was planning on spending $2k on the V280/V281 but I came across a 'good' deal on the OG LAu. Now I'm trying to decide which one I should get. By good deal, I mean still out of my price point but doable.

With the monolith versions I've compared (liquid crimson to liquid platinum and liquid gold to monolith liquid gold) the Monolith LAu is pretty close to the original in terms of sound signature, but there's a bit more detail and sense of space with the original.

The Liquid Crimson is definitely a bigger jump over the Liquid Platinum. Way more of a tube sound, and the tube installed contributes a lot to the overall sound signature and sense of space.

The only LAu I've seen for sale is the guy who wants $3k which is still pretty high. Originally he wanted $6k. They usually go for $2 - $2.2k. BUT, if you're going to shell out that much money, I'd shoot for the amps that were Cavalli Audio's best amplifiers: Liquid Glass or Liquid Crimson. They cost less and have that Cavalli Magic.

Anything above $1k there's a lot of newer amps that are very competitive. The Liquid Gold is now like 10 years old?

Feb 2, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #516 of 694
With the monolith versions I've compared (liquid crimson to liquid platinum and liquid gold to monolith liquid gold) the Monolith LAu is pretty close to the original in terms of sound signature, but there's a bit more detail and sense of space with the original.

The Liquid Crimson is definitely a bigger jump over the Liquid Platinum. Way more of a tube sound, and the tube installed contributes a lot to the overall sound signature and sense of space.

The only LAu I've seen for sale is the guy who wants $3k which is still pretty high. Originally he wanted $6k. They usually go for $2 - $2.2k. BUT, if you're going to shell out that much money, I'd shoot for the amps that were Cavalli Audio's best amplifiers: Liquid Glass or Liquid Crimson. They cost less and have that Cavalli Magic.

Anything above $1k there's a lot of newer amps that are very competitive. The Liquid Gold is now like 10 years old?

Yeah the guy who’s willing to sell me his LAu is letting it go for 2.7k. Might be able to talk him down to 2.2. From what I’ve read the Monolith version has a great pairing with Audeze headphones. I’m looking for something that will bring out the LCD 4s strengths. I’m thinking of the LiM which is already pretty balanced as a DAC so I’d like a good SS amp.

How would you say the Monolith LAu compares to the LP with really good tubes installed? I know these have almost identical output impedance and power so curious on how it resolves detail and bass. My LP is cap modded btw which I know makes it more responsive to tube rolling.

Thanks for your impressions! It’s getting harder to find folks who’ve heard Cavallis original gear.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #517 of 694
Yeah the guy who’s willing to sell me his LAu is letting it go for 2.7k. Might be able to talk him down to 2.2. From what I’ve read the Monolith version has a great pairing with Audeze headphones. I’m looking for something that will bring out the LCD 4s strengths. I’m thinking of the LiM which is already pretty balanced as a DAC so I’d like a good SS amp.

How would you say the Monolith LAu compares to the LP with really good tubes installed? I know these have almost identical output impedance and power so curious on how it resolves detail and bass. My LP is cap modded btw which I know makes it more responsive to tube rolling.

Thanks for your impressions! It’s getting harder to find folks who’ve heard Cavallis original gear.

I don't have a Liquid Platinum anymore and never had one side by side with the Monolith LAu, but I do have an Yggdrasil, LCD-4, and a handful of amps. The LCD-4 is really an odd beast. It's planar but also 200ohms, which make it kind if weird for most of the traditional planar amps.

The Phonitor X (or XE) are really spectacular with the LCD-4. It might be the most resolving amp I've ever owned. It definitely outresolves the Monolith LAu. Torq did a review of the Phonitor X at one point with the LCD-4, I'd look into that more. Also the Schiit Ragnarok1 easily throws enough weight around for the LCD-4. It's not as detailed or spacious as the Phonitor X, but has incredible bass slam. The Headroom Blockhead is also a great match due to it's signature, but I won't go into that because they don't really show up for sale.

The Monolith LAu is also a great amp for the price. The differences between most amps are fairly small, and it easily handles the LCD-4, and is truly synergistic with Audezes, but I'm not sure you'll get a good jump over the LP. If you do happen to get the full sized LAu and don't like it, or pass on it, let me know. It's one of the few Cavalli amps I don't own yet!

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #518 of 694
I don't have a Liquid Platinum anymore and never had one side by side with the Monolith LAu, but I do have an Yggdrasil, LCD-4, and a handful of amps. The LCD-4 is really an odd beast. It's planar but also 200ohms, which make it kind if weird for most of the traditional planar amps.

The Phonitor X (or XE) are really spectacular with the LCD-4. It might be the most resolving amp I've ever owned. It definitely outresolves the Monolith LAu. Torq did a review of the Phonitor X at one point with the LCD-4, I'd look into that more. Also the Schiit Ragnarok1 easily throws enough weight around for the LCD-4. It's not as detailed or spacious as the Phonitor X, but has incredible bass slam. The Headroom Blockhead is also a great match due to it's signature, but I won't go into that because they don't really show up for sale.

The Monolith LAu is also a great amp for the price. The differences between most amps are fairly small, and it easily handles the LCD-4, and is truly synergistic with Audezes, but I'm not sure you'll get a good jump over the LP. If you do happen to get the full sized LAu and don't like it, or pass on it, let me know. It's one of the few Cavalli amps I don't own yet!

Thanks for all the suggestions. If the Monolith isn’t that much an improvement than I’d rather be looking at the $2k category. I’ve read that the Phonitor is kind of boring sounding so I may just have to look at the Rag1 which is good too because I actually need a speaker amp.

I’m debating whether I should just throw a Lokius down and add a bass shelf vs. specifically going for an amp to improve bass slam. While the 4s have amazing extension I found them lacking in quantity compared to the 2s.

I know the Yggy GS with the LP was an very good synergy match. OG + a more neutral amp or LiM + aggressive amp might be best.

I’m working on trying to get a BF2 again and see if pairing the 4 with it and an LP will give me satisfying bass slam so I can decide where to go from here.

As for the other designs, those are even more rare to find. I don’t know if anyone that has a Liquid Crimson for sale. I’d love to get one too because I have a decent stash of 12AU tubes.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #519 of 694
Thanks for all the suggestions. If the Monolith isn’t that much an improvement than I’d rather be looking at the $2k category. I’ve read that the Phonitor is kind of boring sounding so I may just have to look at the Rag1 which is good too because I actually need a speaker amp.

I’m debating whether I should just throw a Lokius down and add a bass shelf vs. specifically going for an amp to improve bass slam. While the 4s have amazing extension I found them lacking in quantity compared to the 2s.

I know the Yggy GS with the LP was an very good synergy match. OG + a more neutral amp or LiM + aggressive amp might be best.

I’m working on trying to get a BF2 again and see if pairing the 4 with it and an LP will give me satisfying bass slam so I can decide where to go from here.

As for the other designs, those are even more rare to find. I don’t know if anyone that has a Liquid Crimson for sale. I’d love to get one too because I have a decent stash of 12AU tubes.
Unfortunately there was only 31 Crimson units ever produced according to Alex. Pretty hard to get a hold of these days. I had two different units over the years, but didn't end up keeping either... Now I'm sad.

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #520 of 694
Unfortunately there was only 31 Crimson units ever produced according to Alex. Pretty hard to get a hold of these days. I had two different units over the years, but didn't end up keeping either... Now I'm sad.
Dang, what did you ask for price wise when you sold it? I’m wondering if Monoprice would ever release premium versions of his designs or if there was stuff that was still proprietary.

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #521 of 694
Dang, what did you ask for price wise when you sold it? I’m wondering if Monoprice would ever release premium versions of his designs or if there was stuff that was still proprietary.
Think it was around $2200

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #522 of 694
Think it was around $2200
Wow that’s actually a lot cheaper than I would have thought. I cap modded my LP and all together it cost me $400 so can’t be too mad that I didn’t get a chance to buy a Crimson but I always did wonder what the Liquid Glass and his other high end amps sounded like.

Feb 3, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #523 of 694

Unfortunately the Crimson is just a bit less power than I'd want for the LCD-4 or the Hifiman HE-6, so for your use case of the LCD-4, it's hard to recommend.

Feb 3, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #524 of 694
Unfortunately the Crimson is just a bit less power than I'd want for the LCD-4 or the Hifiman HE-6, so for your use case of the LCD-4, it's hard to recommend.
Yea, that was one of the reasons why I kept the LAu and not the Crimson.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #525 of 694

The LCD-4 is a strange one. A strange planar at 200 ohms and high power demands. It's a headphone that puts unique and special demands on suitable amps.

I have a Liquid Fire and Liquid Glass. I've heard the LCD-4 with my Liquid Glass at a meet and it was awesome. The Liquid Glass can drive it really well. Really well. I got some great complements at that meet about how well the Liquid Glass and Gungnir Multibit did with the LCD-4. Even from the owner of the LCD-4. I heard it too. It was good. Soooo good. I wanted it, but I also knew that it would not be a good headphone pairing with my Liquid Fire. The Liquid Glass is a good Cavalli amp for 200 ohm and 300 ohm headphones. The Liquid Fire, not so much.

But I also have a Liquid Fire. It is a great amp for planars below 100 ohms. It has heft for planars that are below 100 ohms. Heft that can cleave rocks from the Cliffs of Dover. However, once you get around 200 or 300 ohms the sound of the Liquid Fire becomes what I consider more "angelic". The sound style and presentation becomes softer and more like angels singing. All good if you want to listen to a boys choir singing hymns, but not good at all if you want to listen to AC/CD playing "Highway to Hell". So while the Liquid Fire can play "Highway to Hell" with the LCD-2 it doesn't manage to do that with the LCD-4. The Liquid Crimson it better at driving the high impedance headphones, but still not good enough to do justice for the LCD-4.

But now we've got the LCD-5. Lower impedance. Much lower. And new tonality. Will the LCD-5 be the Audeze flagship that can play with both the Liquid Fire and Liquid Glass with gusto? Can it play both boys choirs and AC/DC with both my Liquid Fire and Liquid Glass (and also my Liquid Platinum and Liquid Gold X)? I don't know. I need to hear it with my amps to find out. But $4,500 for a headphone still gives me pause. That's crazy price for a headphone. And I can't wrap my head round justifying that price for a headphone. It's a small single driver speaker for each ear. With no crossover. How could it be that expensive? Crazy. But if it is good enough with all my amps I could manage to justify that cost as being reasonable because it would keep me from being tempted to buy two $2,500 headphones. Sorry about my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back