Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #496 of 694
Thanks for the answer:
I am using the XLR balanced output, with the high gain on and with the goldX's own DAC.
It is true that I equalize the bass a little bit, but it gives me the same problem without equalizing.
The thing is that I am a happy owner also of the monollith liquid platinum and although this one also turns me off if I go over volume, but it is not comparable to how the gold X does it, the LCD-2 fail to show the full impact of their great bass. I think it falls short of volume if you are a basshead. It's a shame because I think it's a great amp, but the fact that it turns off is desperate, I think it's an unforgivable failure. They have left the volume limit very low in my opinion....:sob:....it is unbelievable this blockade with the power that goldX have.
I could be wrong about this, but I read somewhere (not here) about the LGX having peculiar problems only when one uses the DAC & internal amp. Problems having to do with intermittent shutdowns. If I recall properly, these same users had no such problem when they used an external DAC plugged into the LGX (as I do).

FWIW, I have a planar that's a way worse power hog than yours (ZMF Ori), and my LGX, with Audio GD DAC-19 as the DAC, drives it beautifully...I can barely get the volume dial beyond 11AM. And this is on low gain. I can't use high gain at all with any headphone--way too much volume.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #497 of 694
I could be wrong about this, but I read somewhere (not here) about the LGX having peculiar problems only when one uses the DAC & internal amp. Problems having to do with intermittent shutdowns. If I recall properly, these same users had no such problem when they used an external DAC plugged into the LGX (as I do).

FWIW, I have planar that a way worse power hog than yours (ZMF Ori), and my LGX, with Audio GD DAC-19 as the DAC, drives it beautifully...I can barely get the volume dial beyond 11AM. And this is on low gain. I can't use high gain at all with any headphone--way too much volume.
Another testimonial as to why Cavalli should Ditch the DAC (Dumb-A$$ Circuit) ☝️.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #499 of 694
I'm waiting on my DAC to come in the mail today as I'm having the same problems when I use my Planar magnetic headphones too. Hopefully the external DAC resolves this.

I´m sorry to tell you that the problem is not solved with an external DAC :sob:, I have tried it with several, and the same thing happens. It seems to me an unforgivable failure, I will return it and I will continue happy with my liquid platinum amplifier, which works at an acceptable volume without shutting down.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #501 of 694
I´m sorry to tell you that the problem is not solved with an external DAC :sob:, I have tried it with several, and the same thing happens. It seems to me an unforgivable failure, I will return it and I will continue happy with my liquid platinum amplifier, which works at an acceptable volume without shutting down.
It seems that the presence of the DAC in the LGX chassis may be the problem source. Maybe the DAC circuits are never fully off or out of the digital signal path. Your LP, which has no internal DAC, behaves well…Food for thought…

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #502 of 694
It seems that the presence of the DAC in the LGX chassis may be the problem source. Maybe the DAC circuits are never fully off or out of the digital signal path. Your LP, which has no internal DAC, behaves well…Food for thought…
Well, that's just awful.... wish I'd known this beforehand. It only really acts up with planars, but still!:frowning2:

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #508 of 694
Get a handheld SPL meter, make a baffle for it, and measure how loud you are listening. This YouTube video explains how to make a basic baffle and how to measure. You may be surprised at how loud the volume is. One of the sonic characteristics of the good Cavalli amps is that loud doesn't sound as loud as it does on other amps. The Cavalli sound stays smooth and effortless at dangerously loud volume levels. Other amps give you hints of distortions and harshness as the volume gets too loud and will get you to realize that the music is too loud and that you need to turn down the volume. The good Cavalli amps, and other good audiophile amps, don't give you those same hints that things are too loud. Consequently it is much easier to play good audiophile gear at dangerous levels than it is with lower level gear.

It's really easy to listen to an amp like the Liquid Gold X at 100 dB and not realize it is 100 dB because the amp sounds so smooth and effortless. Be careful with that amp Eugene. Learn what 90 dB sounds like with the Liquid Gold X and take care not to exceed that volume level. Use the SPL meter. Your ears will not always detect that things are too loud when it sounds so smooth and effortless.

How loud is too loud: http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

How to measure headphone volume level with a basic SPL meter and a homemade baffle:

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #510 of 694
Get a handheld SPL meter, make a baffle for it, and measure how loud you are listening. This YouTube video explains how to make a basic baffle and how to measure. You may be surprised at how loud the volume is. One of the sonic characteristics of the good Cavalli amps is that loud doesn't sound as loud as it does on other amps. The Cavalli sound stays smooth and effortless at dangerously loud volume levels. Other amps give you hints of distortions and harshness as the volume gets too loud and will get you to realize that the music is too loud and that you need to turn down the volume. The good Cavalli amps, and other good audiophile amps, don't give you those same hints that things are too loud. Consequently it is much easier to play good audiophile gear at dangerous levels than it is with lower level gear.

It's really easy to listen to an amp like the Liquid Gold X at 100 dB and not realize it is 100 dB because the amp sounds so smooth and effortless. Be careful with that amp Eugene. Learn what 90 dB sounds like with the Liquid Gold X and take care not to exceed that volume level. Use the SPL meter. Your ears will not always detect that things are too loud when it sounds so smooth and effortless.

How loud is too loud: http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

How to measure headphone volume level with a basic SPL meter and a homemade baffle:

Brilliant post!!

(+ "Ham Sandwich" is a terrific screen name)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back