Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #812 of 841
It's really a shame Monoprice stopped making this. I still use it as a dac and pre amp after acquiring other higher end amps. Its crossfeed function is simply the best I've experienced
Agreed, this was one of the best values in its price range, and stuff like DIRAC and built in parametric and shelf EQ set it apart from all the stuff from SMSL and Topping and pretty much everything else below $1000.

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #814 of 841
The latest Burson amps have crossfeed as well, with varying lvls to choose from. Likely sounds better that this Monolith unit as well.

Once this unit is outta production, your best option is the used market.

Aug 25, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #816 of 841
The XMOS driver used to be on the product page on the Monoprice website along with the manual pdf, even after it was discontinued, but it seems like they have now removed the page. Luckily I still have the original zip file for the driver which contains the installation executable. I know some people would be wary of that kind of file from a total stranger, but hopefully me being a member here for over 10 years is some reassurance. I installed the driver before even connecting mine, so I'd recommend disconnecting or at least turning it off during the install, and rebooting your PC, but afterwards it should be good to go the next time it's powered on. Technically even without this driver it should work in exclusive mode with Wasapi or a generic Asio driver, but when Asio is selected in in Audirvana the name of the proper downloaded driver is displayed and the full DSD capability is supported. I've included screenshots of that as well to show the different device display names with both wasapi and the official driver. Hope this resolves your issue.
I know I'm late to the party and what I have to say/ask might be irrelevant, but I'll just go ahead with it. In reference to your attachments, specifically the Wasapi and Asio drivers, I was wondering the difference between them and how they work.

Additionally, is one superior to use over the other (sound quality, latency, etc.)? My understanding is that Asio is used as stand alone driver that does everything you need: software, windows audio mixer bypass, exclusive mode, and so on. And for Wasapi, it's a driver or more so a 'mode' that is supplied by Windows OS that is made to work with any audio device and allow that device to have exclusive access over the audio mixer. Similar, but one comes from Asio and the other is built in to the OS. Now like I said I'm not sure if this is right, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides those questions, I'd like to make a comment on which one I think sounds better on my system using Qobuz. I've bounced back and forth between the two in the 'audio output' section on the desktop app and undoubtedly Wasapi Exclusive is superior. Superior dynamics, smoothness, clarity, spatial capabilities, etc. I'm confused to say the least...I apologize for the lengthy reply but any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much.

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #817 of 841
I recently acquired second hand unit, and I am not seeing any power button to turn it off and when I turn off by unplugging power, it erases all eq settings. Do yall leave it on all the time or is there a way to put it to a sleep or off?

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #818 of 841
I recently acquired second hand unit, and I am not seeing any power button to turn it off and when I turn off by unplugging power, it erases all eq settings. Do yall leave it on all the time or is there a way to put it to a sleep or off?
Link to owners manual.

Excerpt from manual:
1663280729749.png

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #821 of 841
anyone have there sound cut out and not work at all untill they shut the unit off and turn it back on? i have it connected to my pc via usb, should i try another connetion type method maybe?

i am on windows 11 if it matters

Just wondering, have you ever resolved this issue? I might try buy a toslink optical cable to see if it resolves the issue but if you've tried it and the sound still cuts out randomly then no point in getting a cable! Also, I recently upgraded from Win10 to Win11 and the problem still persists :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #822 of 841
Just wondering, have you ever resolved this issue? I might try buy a toslink optical cable to see if it resolves the issue but if you've tried it and the sound still cuts out randomly then no point in getting a cable! Also, I recently upgraded from Win10 to Win11 and the problem still persists :frowning2:
I too have been getting disconnection issues with my unit. I have tried swapping out different usb cables, and power bricks, as well as making sure that the usb is plugged into its own usb hub without other connections on the same controller to avoid any interference with other things that are plugged into my pc. I have also tried the XMOS drivers from monoprice's website recently but it looks like these drivers are from 2017. Would it be better to update to the latest XMOS drivers or would that potentially cause more compatibility issues?

Hoping someone that had disconnection issues have finally found a solution lol. Monoprice offers a $500 store credit when you ask them about a potential warranty claim but I have no interest in buying anything else from them except for this amp/dac unit lol

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #823 of 841
I too have been getting disconnection issues with my unit. I have tried swapping out different usb cables, and power bricks, as well as making sure that the usb is plugged into its own usb hub without other connections on the same controller to avoid any interference with other things that are plugged into my pc. I have also tried the XMOS drivers from monoprice's website recently but it looks like these drivers are from 2017. Would it be better to update to the latest XMOS drivers or would that potentially cause more compatibility issues?

Hoping someone that had disconnection issues have finally found a solution lol. Monoprice offers a $500 store credit when you ask them about a potential warranty claim but I have no interest in buying anything else from them except for this amp/dac unit lol
I bought a toslink cable and the sound hasn’t cut out for a couple of days now. Seems to be working fine.

By any chance, are you using AMD 5 series cpu and using pcie-4? I heard that usb power cuts in and out on this platform - that may explain the sound cutting out while using USB.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #824 of 841
I bought a toslink cable and the sound hasn’t cut out for a couple of days now. Seems to be working fine.

By any chance, are you using AMD 5 series cpu and using pcie-4? I heard that usb power cuts in and out on this platform - that may explain the sound cutting out while using USB.
Damn..... I am indeed on a 5900x and using pcie 4.0 for my motherboard....

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #825 of 841
Damn..... I am indeed on a 5900x and using pcie 4.0 for my motherboard....
Yea, supposedly there is a patch via BIOS mid-last year that addresses this, but obviously it hasn't fixed everything. Maybe it's worth giving a try. Also, some people reported a workaround by connecting the usb to a usb hub then into computer.

At this point, I think I'll settle with using toslink; I was back and forth between selling this and getting the RME Adi 2 Dac FS, but it is $500 more and probably not worth it for a casual user like me who only has 1 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back