Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #826 of 841
Yea, supposedly there is a patch via BIOS mid-last year that addresses this, but obviously it hasn't fixed everything. Maybe it's worth giving a try. Also, some people reported a workaround by connecting the usb to a usb hub then into computer.

At this point, I think I'll settle with using toslink; I was back and forth between selling this and getting the RME Adi 2 Dac FS, but it is $500 more and probably not worth it for a casual user like me who only has 1 headphone.
If your motherboard has the new bios 1.2.0.8 Agesa available I Would try that. Updating to the Bios in combination with disabling the power savings for USBs has resolved all of my disconnection issues. Been going strong for the last week now with no drop outs.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #828 of 841
Anyone having issues with their unit having greatly reduced volume output? I have to power cycle the unit for it to work correctly. I leave it turned on 24/7 and only power off the computer.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #829 of 841
If your motherboard has the new bios 1.2.0.8 Agesa available I Would try that. Updating to the Bios in combination with disabling the power savings for USBs has resolved all of my disconnection issues. Been going strong for the last week now with no drop outs.
Yes, I updated to this version but unfortunately am still have the issue - I've also gone into Device Manager and disabled all USB power-savings. I've been using TOSLINK connection without any issues thought, so I guess I'll just stay with that. It's limited to 95Khz which as far as I understand is good enough.

May 15, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #832 of 841
Already a better linear psu in this amp dac?
I think his original font is very simple and weak, has anyone tested another better psu? :beerchug:

1684169344586.png

May 16, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #834 of 841
The original designer of the THX desktop amp Andrew recommended to just use the stock, regulated supply.
Yes, that I already know.
His recommendation is because the original psu is very similar to the psu of phones that are not regulated and cannot be used in the dac amp.
But it is general consensus that good psu's like the one in the photo are specific for quality audio and have the exact regulation that the amp needs 16v 1.5A but with better components, better filtering is 100% regulated, anyone with knowledge knows the benefits of this, Topping and Fiio themselves nowadays make these photos for some of their products and sell them in parts as a plug in audio quality.

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #835 of 841
Jul 8, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #837 of 841
For anyone who has the Monolith THX DAC/Amp and either the Aful P5 or P8, I implore you to try out the *DIRAC feature. When I first got the Monolith "P/N 24459", I tried out the DIRAC feature (probably on the NX7 MKII) & thought meh and never bothered with it again.

Lately I've been curious of the accolades being rained down on the P8, but the one issue (stopping my purchase) being a less than wide presentation. Fast forward to this week, where I completed a trade for the Aful Performer8. And yes the vocals are definitely dead center, mass. But in every other aspect the P8 scores high for me. I was about to relegate the P8 to my FiiO BTR7 (where the playback is very much above average), for when I'm out and about. Where I find a concentrated playback to be a better adversary to the surrounding environment's ambient noise.

Then I remembered the DIRAC feature and yahtzeee !!!

Only downside, I now have yet another desktop IEM. I do also possess Monolith 124460 Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC, but find it cumbersome, as a portable solution; I usually use it out on my patio, with my iPad and at some point I'll give the P8 a spin on it. But for now, desktop duty for the P8.

Aful P8 DIRAC.jpg

*Dirac sensaround expand your headspace. Music is usually mixed with loudspeakers in mind, Not headphones. As a result, Headphone listening is often plagued by a distorted soundstage Instruments and voices may seem incorrectly placed and trapped inside your heard, causing an unnatural listening experience. Dirac sensaround II creates a vast, clear, and realistically immersive soundstage free from the constraints of the space in your ear, much like a multi-speaker home Theater system.

Nov 24, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #838 of 841
Hello.....new here. I have a question about this particular unit. I am running a Usb c to Usb c short connector (DDhiFi) to a coax converter cable from the same company. These connectors run from my iMac 2109 to the coaxial connection in the Monolith. I can't seem to get anything above 48Khz on the readout via Qobuz streaming service. Music sounds average. I was expecting 24/192 via this connection. What am I doing wrong? Thanks ahead of time. Lou

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #840 of 841
Like the original model (Monoprice product # 24459), I see this new model Monolith DAC/amp (43862) also has XLR-ins. Shame the engineers didn't use this opportunity to include XLR-outs so the unit could be used as a DAC. They also opted for 4.5 year-old DAC chip.

Perhaps the third time will be the charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back