Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #452 of 841
Per the product FAQ section:
Output impedance of AAA-788 is very low! It's less than 0.05 Ohms at 1 kHz.
That's cool.
Is there a minimum resistance of headphones that supports by this amp without void of warranty?

Apparently Massdrop THX 789 has limitation of 12 ohms, warranty doesn't cover any damage done to amp by connecting a headphone has lower than 12 ohms resistance.

Apr 6, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #453 of 841
Does anyone know the output impedence of the Monoprice amp? Massdrop THX 789 has less than 0.1ohm output impedence.

"Output impedance of AAA-788 is very low! It's less than 0.05 Ohms at 1 kHz" Allegedly from the Q&A section, but someone earlier mentioned sensitive IEMs have a bad time. I don't really have any IEMs I use at home nor any expensive IEMs to check. Wouldn't you want the mobile version if you plan to use it a lot with IEMs?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #454 of 841
"Output impedance of AAA-788 is very low! It's less than 0.05 Ohms at 1 kHz" Allegedly from the Q&A section, but someone earlier mentioned sensitive IEMs have a bad time. I don't really have any IEMs I use at home nor any expensive IEMs to check. Wouldn't you want the mobile version if you plan to use it a lot with IEMs?
No. I don't want to use it with IEMs. but I'm really interested in ordering Verum 1 planar headphones which has resistence of 8 ohms. That's why I'm curious about the output impedance. and the same reason why I asked the second question as well which I've quoted below.
Is there a minimum resistance of headphones that supports by this amp without void of warranty?

Apparently Massdrop THX 789 has limitation of 12 ohms, warranty doesn't cover any damage done to amp by connecting a headphone has lower than 12 ohms resistance.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #455 of 841
No. I don't want to use it with IEMs. but I'm really interested in ordering Verum 1 planar headphones which has resistence of 8 ohms. That's why I'm curious about the output impedance. and the same reason why I asked the second question as well which I've quoted below.

I don't really think theres any warranty exceptions like that. I've RMA'd my m1060cs which I broke by slingshotting them off my desk by their wire with my chair arm, came back a week later no questions asked(2.5mm jack became extremely loose). They have good customer service, but somehow catch a lot of hate.

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #456 of 841
I don't really think theres any warranty exceptions like that. I've RMA'd my m1060cs which I broke by slingshotting them off my desk by their wire with my chair arm, came back a week later no questions asked(2.5mm jack became extremely loose). They have good customer service, but somehow catch a lot of hate.
Happened to me too (not the RMA bit, but the rest). I felt like the cables weren't detachable enough for those cans if you know what I mean.

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #457 of 841
Happened to me too (not the RMA bit, but the rest). I felt like the cables weren't detachable enough for those cans if you know what I mean.

I use a coat hanger on the side of my desk now for my headphones because of that. You probably should RMA though, there is definitely a R1 and R2 of the m1060c and they sent me a newer one with no headband issues, insanely good isolation and low sound leakage(my original pair was almost semi open) and I got a redo on scratching up my cups.

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #458 of 841
Finally, there's an imminent review coming for the THX AAA 788:
(@9:30 he mentions completing the review)

As I do believe that Z Reviews has a substantial following, it will be interesting to see how his observations could influence those that are clamoring for the next round of 789s; hopefully he'll include a comparison to the MassDrop version.

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #459 of 841
Welp, just took the dive and bought mine from Monoprice. Looking forward to hearing this power my Elegia's and IEM's at work.

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #460 of 841
WQDxd0.jpg

Got this in yesterday and have started to listen to it with the IEM's and headphones pictured. Very impressed with how clean the dynamic the sound is. Less refined than the Brooklyn Dac+ at home but not really a surprised given the price difference. Very enjoyable and an excellent option for a dac/amp at work.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #463 of 841
Does someone know the minimum headphone resistance this supports?

I'm trying to get Verum 1 headphones which are rated at 8 ohms & Massdrop THX 789 supports only 12 ohms and up without voiding the warranty.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #464 of 841
Subbing as I took the leap and ordered yesterday. Usually, a Z review being posted means he can wipe out stock on stuff like this; turns out that's not the case this time.

Looking forward to having a single unit next to the turntable instead of a gaggle of wires. Certainly more ideal for the wife-approval factor. Now let's just hope I don't have to jump through hoops with their courier like I did with my last order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back