Monoprice just came out with 5" & 3" Studio Monitors @ $165 & $75
Mar 24, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 53
I just bought these based on another review. i don't have anything to compare them to, and haven't hooked them up yet. They just came 2 days ago. If you wish, I can give you some thoughts on them once they are set up. But, again, I have nothing to compare them to. I bought them based on another blogger's review. Here's the link.

http://zachfine.com/blog/2013/01/

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #18 of 53
Great! Definitely share your thoughts, and some pictures if you can. So far, no one has seen the back of those speakers, just the design sketch of them on Monoprice.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #20 of 53
It looks like the litigation has begun.  Klipsch is suing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57576411-38/monoprice-a-tech-consumers-best-friend-or-a-copycat/

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:
I'm gonna be waiting on more thorough word on this before making conclusions.  For all we know, Klipsch didn't make the OEM sign an exclusivity agreement.

If that's the case, it's going to be embarrassing for them.

Reminds me of the SCO vs IBM case of about 10 years ago when SCO sued for $4bn over patents that it turned out they didn't even hold...

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #23 of 53
If that's the case, it's going to be embarrassing for them.

Maybe not. Just because the Chinese manufacturer has the right to produce the Takes in China (assuming this is true), that doesn't necessarily mean that Monoprice has the right to sell it in the US where Klipsch holds a patent. US IP law is so convoluted, speculating on this is probably not worthwhile unless there is an IP lawyer that can tell us more. :)

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #24 of 53
And this is why "premium" companies should not have their products manufactured in China.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #26 of 53
Quote:
They certainly look nice on paper, but seeing how they only weigh 9.7 lbs each makes me think they skimped on the enclosure causing resonance.

The enclosure is 538 cubic inches, at 9.7lbs each that makes it about 55.48 cubic inches per pound. The Audioengine A5, of comparable size, comes in at about 46.66 cubic inches per pound. We know the side walls are 0.75 inches on the A5s, so that would make the side walls around 0.63 inches on the Monoprice speakers. 0.625 to 0.75" is pretty much standard in the industry for entry-level monitors and speakers, so I don't see any evidence they've done any skimping.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 53
Hey everyone, sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I'm in school and this is just a side project for now. I uploaded some shots of the speakers (front back and side) with my Logitech bluetooth mouse just for size comparison. I hope this helps. As for the performance, I don't have much to compare them to. I really need to get some isolation under them and get them off the table (and away from the wall for that matter). Monoprice sends two squares of adhesive rubber to put on the bottom so they don't scratch, but it doesn't do much to isolate the vibration and I don't think it's meant to. I'm extremely happy with the sound of these, I bought them for some studio work on my wife's album as well as converting vinyl to MP3 for archival purposes. So for those two things, they are exactly what I am looking for. I don't have testing equipment, so I can't do any kind of frequency testing on them.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #28 of 53
They do look pretty nice. What do you have upstream of the monitors?
Quote:
Hey everyone, sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I'm in school and this is just a side project for now. I uploaded some shots of the speakers (front back and side) with my Logitech bluetooth mouse just for size comparison. I hope this helps. As for the performance, I don't have much to compare them to. I really need to get some isolation under them and get them off the table (and away from the wall for that matter). Monoprice sends two squares of adhesive rubber to put on the bottom so they don't scratch, but it doesn't do much to isolate the vibration and I don't think it's meant to. I'm extremely happy with the sound of these, I bought them for some studio work on my wife's album as well as converting vinyl to MP3 for archival purposes. So for those two things, they are exactly what I am looking for. I don't have testing equipment, so I can't do any kind of frequency testing on them.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 53
Thanks Brunk, Nothing serious. My interface is a Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2/2 running into my Macbook Pro Core i7. For mics I've got a Blue Spark, Shure SM57's, Beta 58's. Looking at getting a MXL 770 clone from Monoprice and a clone of a U87.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #30 of 53
Thanks for sharing the pics :)

A cheap isolation system: Use textbooks. That's what I do. I even use them to raise my speakers up a good 8" or so :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back