Monoprice just came out with 5" & 3" Studio Monitors @ $165 & $75
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

parnold

Head-Fier
Jan 30, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 53
Yeah, I found out about these yesterday. I've been eyeballing a pair of AV40s but I want to wait and see what these are about first. I love my mhp-839s so I'm willing to give MP a chance on these. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 53
Those 5" ones look interesting for the price. That is dirt cheap for true bi-amplified active monitors. Amazing that four separate amplifiers are included for that price! It also looks like they are currently out of stock until mid-February.

I'll be interested to see some reviews here when some folks get them.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 53
Quote:
Those 5" ones look interesting for the price. That is dirt cheap for true bi-amplified active monitors. Amazing that four separate amplifiers are included for that price! It also looks like they are currently out of stock until mid-February.

I'll be interested to see some reviews here when some folks get them.

Yeah same here (reviews). Pictures look rendered/pre-production so it looks like they've yet to have been released rather than out-of-stock?? 

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 53
Yep. Definitely looks pre-production. Monoprice has done this before with new audio equipment where they just list it as out of stock.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 53
This is kind of like how they copied the design of the Energy take 5.1 set

Those are definitely just rebadged Energy Takes, and at a great price. Saw a post online where someone on another website compared the Monoprice manual to the Energy Take one. Almost word for word the same, and they left Energy in the manual in one spot :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:
Those are definitely just rebadged Energy Takes, and at a great price. Saw a post online where someone on another website compared the Monoprice manual to the Energy Take one. Almost word for word the same, and they left Energy in the manual in one spot
biggrin.gif

Is this referring to the studio monitors or the surround sound (5.1) system?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 53
It looks like the folks at CNet believe Monoprice may be making illegal ripoffs of Energy's product.  I have to say, it does look suspicious.

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/monoprice-9774/4505-7868_7-35512507-2.html

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 53
Still waiting for a review of those 5" studio monitors... 
popcorn.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:
It looks like the folks at CNet believe Monoprice may be making illegal ripoffs of Energy's product.  I have to say, it does look suspicious.

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/monoprice-9774/4505-7868_7-35512507-2.html

I don't think monoprice is making "illegal copies". I think what happens is that they all come from a same OEM in china, Monoprice is simply undercutting the competition without the brand inflation. They've also done this for the Kicker Headphones (Monoprice 8323) 

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 53
What CNet says is this:

"Our only hesitation about the Monoprice 9774 speaker system is an ethical one. There's no denying these speakers feel like knockoff versions of the Energy system, and we have reservations about recommending a product that, at least in lay terms, feels like it ripped off the design and engineering work of another company. Monoprice has confirmed that it has not licensed the design from Energy, but hasn't explained exactly how the products look and perform so similarly."

I guess it comes down to how this came to be the case.  If Energy really did the engineering and didn't give Monoprice rights to what they came up with, then I wouldn't feel comfortable buying these from Monoprice.  If it is instead a case where both companies are licensing a design from someone else, that's an entirely different matter.  Hopefully the situation gets clarified soon.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 53
They certainly look nice on paper, but seeing how they only weigh 9.7 lbs each makes me think they skimped on the enclosure causing resonance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back