Monoprice 8323 / Kicker HP541 Appreciation Thread
May 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
Jan 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 9
I own a pair of Monoprice 8323, in part thanks to the positive reviews here at Head-Fi.  They really shine once you eq them to sweeten the upper mids.  They are a great bang for the buck!

I recently came across the NXG Technology Pro Dj Headphones (NX-HTDJ) on Amazon.  They were mentioned here several years back, before the 8323 started to get all the love, but I could not find anyone who gave any review or details on them.  They look like a better looking re-brand of the 8323/HP541, with the same published specs.  

The differences appear to be velour ear pads and headband cushion, matte rubberized textured cups, brushed aluminum design on the cups, cloth sleeved cable, and carrying bag.  Plus they're even a better value than the 8323, currently at under $16 shipped.  I'm in for two and will report back once they come in and I do a proper comparison to the 8323.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 9
So I just got the NXG HTDJ or Head Trip DJ's that I mentioned above. These are definitely a 8323 rebrand.  Same construction with the exception that they have black brushed aluminum plates on the cups, with a silver colored bevel on the plate.  Also the hinges are fake chrome plated.  The cups have a rubberized finish.  These little touches contribute to making them more stylish and less cheap looking than the Monoprice version.

Just like the 8323, they come with the same 12' rubberized cable, and a 3' thinner cable.  In this case, the shorter, thinner cable is cloth wrapped and the connector ends are plastic with the NXG Head Trip logo stamped on them.  A 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and Head Trip branded carry bag are also included.

The other differences go a long way to solving the comfort issues that many 8323 users complain about.  They come stock with velour earpads and the headband pad is also sheathed in velour.  The padding on the headband seems to be just a touch more substantial.  When I put them on I immediately noticed a big difference in comfort all around.  I compared them to a stock pair of 8323 and another pair of 8323's on which I had done a sock mod to the earpads.  The HTDJ's are, hands down, so much more comfortable.

As far as sound quality, to my ears they actually sound better when A/B'ed with the 8323, and I believe this is due to the different earpads.  The soundstage is improved with the softer, more porous earpads.  The sound is less confined and boxy compared to the 8323's.  Also, the cloth inner lining of the earpads that cover the driver is noticeably thinner than the ones on the 8323.  I had to check this aspect of the pads because the clarity on the HTDJ is improved over the 8323 when A/B'ed.  In the case of the HTDJ's you can actually see the driver grill holes through the lining.  The thinner lining seems to result in the upper mids being more present and the highs sounding crisper and more defined.

But, the improved soundstage and SQ come at a price, unfortunately.  They have lost a lot of their sound isolation compared to the 8323, and they leak sound much more.  However, all-in-all, I find them to be an improvement to an already well regarded budget HP.  And they are currently cheaper than the 8323 at <$16 shipped on Amazon.

Updated to add Amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-Pro-Headphones-NX-HTDJ/dp/B0041A3P5W

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 9
wow, good find, to think a moded 8323 (what a lot of ppl including me have) runs over $75, that is a steal
EDIT: I bought a pair of the NXG HTDJ; frankly, they are significantly inferior to the 8323 in my experience. They sound like your average $10 headphones. On a positive note, they do come with a pouch and a braided cable though and the velour is pretty nice. If you need a set of accessories for your 8323, the NXG HTDJ headphones are a OK buy, otherwise, I would avoid them.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 9
My NXGs came in this morning.
I should preface that I'm currently mostly into EDM and favor headphones that are slightly bass heavy but even with the 8323s I have 1-2db cut in the 60-125hz range.
Excuse the lack of audiphile terminology but only having listened to them for a few minutes, I can tell I won't like them. While the 8323s are somewhat bassy, these are the exact opposite. Midrange and upper midrange are pronounced and will need drastic cuts. Swapping for 8323 pads makes little difference but not much.
Has anyone taken the cups apart to see if anything was change to contribute to this? Are the cups rubber coated on the inside as well?
I'm thinking of swapping the rubberized cups into the 8323s solely for the look and feel.

edit

Upon further inspection, cups are only rubber coated on the outside and the only difference I can see inside the cups is the use of different wires. It might not even be different gauge or type but the colors going along the headband are different. 8323s use a green inner strand while the NXG uses a red strand. No idea if that makes a difference.

edit #2

NXGs seem pretty different from the 8323. The bass is almost nonexistent.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi All,

I bought a pair and exchanged for a 2nd pair of Monoprice MHP-839 (Monoprice 8323), but they both have less bass than even the Monoprice 8320, did I really just got 2 duds?  I mean, even with iphone 5S at "bass boost" setting and E11 at EQ2 and High Gain, I get non-rumbling bass when playing Flo-Rida's "Low" 

all of my IEMs (Meelec M6 x2, M9 x2, Monoprice 8320, Philips She3590, JVC HA-FX101) performed well in this set-up, even the Monoprice 8320

could some1 with at least one of these IEMs give me a comparison to the bass portion of 8323 (MPH-839)?

TIA

regards,
M

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 9
I wouldn't expect bassy over ear HPs to be as bassy as bassy IEMs that are jammed half way into your brain holes.
Your experience sounds about on par with mine.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Found this thread nearly a year ago which lead me to buying these headphones. Absolutely LOVE these headphones and everyone that I've given these to as stocking stuffers say the same as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back