Monolith M565 mods
Feb 6, 2019 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 96

Dawnrazor

500+ Head-Fier
just got a 2nd pair and will be doing some mods

Here is the velcro removed:
2woc6k5.jpg

4 little screws attach the drivers to wood cup. The 5 big screws hold the driver together. Best not to remove them because its somewhat dangerous to reassemble and there isnt much to do there anyhow:
15psq35.jpg

j5uxs2.jpg

The first mod I did was to remove the foam. Grill is glued in place:
js144j.jpg

What did removing the foam do? Same thing it did on the M1060 it opens the sound stage and treble.

Also when removing the velcro i used pliers and rolled it down. That worked great but only got a ton of adhesive on the little shield. So i removed that shield on both strips of velcro
rm6upw.jpg

More mods to come. Experiments with different pads have been good so far but not “right” somehow. Only hace some brainwaves micro suede and someother brainwaves with coarser cloth. They both seem to mess with the highs too much. Have some Dekoni angled leathers i was using over the stock pads that I will try

So far just removing the foam is a big improvement

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 96
Actually its Dekoni Fostex TH900 pads and they aren't angled. EDIT. They are slightly angled.

Put them on in place of the stock pads. Man this with the foam removed is a huge improvement. Bass is amazing and the sound is really open and balanced. The sheepkin or leather pads seem to work better than the microsuede pads. The cloth type pads seemed to really impact the highs. So that might be a better option for some.

Listening to Patricia Barbara is such a joy. My fatigue test which is Ayria's 1000 Transmissions is doing OK. Lots of treble energy. Its more of balance than sibilance. Lots of high frequency energy in that track. Its doing OK on that test. Not fatiguing at all though not exactly 100% comfortable.

More work to do.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 96
Here is what I did padwise. I cut out the thick foam in the center:
x215b5.jpg

Then put the Dekonis over top of the stock pads:
16bajup.jpg

b3k47l.jpg

Getting some more distance from the driver seems to lower the highs just a bit and bass is about the same.

Could live with this like it is now. But will do a few more things before just listening to music.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 96
Got mine as well from that price mistake from last week. Removing the foam does help immensely as you've stated. Clarity and detail is far better without them. But I don't think I could handle how aggressive they are with the stock pads. Got Brainwavz Angled Hybrids on them for now and the treble still a bit hot but man, for $85 + pads, the detail, soundstage and extension you get on these are absolutely insane. I appreciate Monoprice putting out these great values but they could stand to tune them a bit more.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 96
Got mine as well from that price mistake from last week. Removing the foam does help immensely as you've stated. Clarity and detail is far better without them. But I don't think I could handle how aggressive they are with the stock pads. Got Brainwavz Hybrids on them for now and the treble still a bit hot but man, for $85 + pads, the detail, soundstage and extension you get on these are absolutely insane. I appreciate Monoprice putting out these great values but they could stand to tune them a bit more.
Cool. Do you mean how aggressive they are with the stock pads AFTER removing the foam??

You got that right about the soundstage and extension. Guess everyone has different ears/system, at lets with the 2 Brainwavz pads I tried it just killed the treble resolution. Maybe the Hybrids are the right mix.

If you are up to it you try the brainwavz over the stock pads if you remove the middle foam of the pad like I detail above.

Lets hope for more price mistakes.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 96
When i mean aggressive, I think the drivers are just way too close to the ears with the stock pads making the sound too "in your face" making the sound grainy, harsh and shouty. But I find the HD6XX shouty while others think they're a gift from God, so it could just be personal preference. Right now it sounds fine with the Hybrids as is, I'm just being nitpicky.

Feb 6, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 96
When i mean aggressive, I think the drivers are just way too close to the ears with the stock pads making the sound too "in your face" making the sound grainy, harsh and shouty. But I find the HD6XX shouty while others think they're a gift from God, so it could just be personal preference. Right now it sounds fine with the Hybrids as is, I'm just being nitpicky.
Ah ok. I agree. Thats why i put pads on top of the original pads and to get the driver further away.

Yeah its all personal and our ears are different sizes and guarantee some ears here are more hairy than others which has to affect things.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 96
Thanks for the guide. I have some Brainwavz angled coming my way to replace the pads.
How did you remove the driver assembly from the wooden cup? I removed the 4 screws, but it doesn't seem to want to budge :-/

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 96
Thanks for the guide. I have some Brainwavz angled coming my way to replace the pads.
How did you remove the driver assembly from the wooden cup? I removed the 4 screws, but it doesn't seem to want to budge :-/
If you got the correct screws, the driver assemble should just fall out. The only think holding it in is the 4 screws. Did you remove the velcro? If you just rolled it back you may have missed one of the 4 screws, though that is unlikely. Did you get the same response on both drivers?

Check out the 2nd pict I posted. It shows the correct screws removed and the position of 5 other screws to NOT remove. Are you sure you removed the correct screws?

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 96
If you got the correct screws, the driver assemble should just fall out. The only think holding it in is the 4 screws. Did you remove the velcro? If you just rolled it back you may have missed one of the 4 screws, though that is unlikely. Did you get the same response on both drivers?

Check out the 2nd pict I posted. It shows the correct screws removed and the position of 5 other screws to NOT remove. Are you sure you removed the correct screws?

I got the 4 right screws I believe. I see the wood where the screws enter. Even after putting the velcro back on and pulling with a lot of force, it wont budge (both sides). I hope it's not glued in underneath...

https://imgur.com/a/EHaTxfC
EHaTxfC

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 96
I got the 4 right screws I believe. I see the wood where the screws enter. Even after putting the velcro back on and pulling with a lot of force, it wont budge (both sides). I hope it's not glued in underneath...

https://imgur.com/a/EHaTxfC
EHaTxfC
Yeah those are the screws for sure. Looks like you are not alone:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-m565-immpresions.859817/page-8#post-14768562

4 posters have tried removing the driver, and 2 had an easy time and two had a hard time. Very strange

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 96
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 96
I got it, thanks! Pushing through the back at the top slot of the triangle is save :)

https://imgur.com/a/m1chuiY
Sure thing man. Good job.

There was a theory that the location in the country could explain the driver being harder or easier. 2 guys at sea level had no problem. The guy in Utah at high elevations had problems. Where are you?

And let us know how it sounds without the foam.

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 96
Sure thing man. Good job.

There was a theory that the location in the country could explain the driver being harder or easier. 2 guys at sea level had no problem. The guy in Utah at high elevations had problems. Where are you?

And let us know how it sounds without the foam.

Haha, sea level. I'm indoors in very low humidity due to the heater (20% ish according to my Accurite).

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 96
Haha, sea level. I'm indoors in very low humidity due to the heater (20% ish according to my Accurite).
Well that doesnt seem to fit the theory. Do you think they were glued or the wood was just tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back