Monolith M1570C (and M1070C) - Closed Back Planar Headphones
Apr 4, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #61 of 207
You might want to upgrade like this guy did

Best Way to Enjoy Music.jpg
I don't know, wireless transmission of totally lossless music at the speed of light with zero latency. Hard to go up from there.

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #63 of 207
I have purposely kept all my other headphones out of my listening for this entire past month. I have my Monoprice M1570C plugged into one RebelAmp and I have my LCD-XC plugged into another RebelAmp . Both are being fed the output of a Bifrost 2 connected by USB. I miss my ZMF Aeolus and Hifiman HE6SE V2 dearly!

At the beginning of this trial, I had hoped that I might discover the Monoprice M1570C a giant killer by having it outperform the Audeze LCD-XC. The Monoprice M1570C is a very good headphone that I enjoy a great deal. When I listen to them I am very satisfied with their performance. Although I did want a tiny bit better imaging out of them. However, the main problem I have with them is when I A/B compare side by side with the Audeze LCD-XC. The Audeze LCD-XC should sound better since they are twice the cost, and they absolutely do, including producing superior imaging. The realism suddenly appears when I place the Audeze LCD-XC over my ears. Now that I have become accustomed to each headphones sound, every single time I place the Monoprice M1570C back on my ears I immediately want to go back to the Audeze LCD-XC. Guitars strings ring with sparkle, voices contain more character such as rasp or grit, drums hit energized. This all disappears into a dullness when I return to Monoprice M1570C when I A/B compare. You know when you get lost into the music forgetting that you were supposed to be comparing headphones? Well, this happened to me often with the Audeze LCD-XC and never once with the Monoprice M1570C.

If I had not acquired the Audeze LCD-XC, I would be singing praises of the M1570C right now and probably telling everyone to go out and get one once they go on sale. However, since I do own both, I am instead going to have to give a huge recommend to spend the money to get the Audeze LCD-XC. For me, it has been well worth paying more for it. In fact, once I get around to comparing all of my headphones, the Audeze LCD-XC will likely become my third favorite headphone just behind the first place ZMF Aeolus and second place Hifiman HE6SE V2.

I do hope to get some presets for EQ on HeSuVi one day to revisit these headphones with EQ on both.

LCD-XC vs M1570C.jpg

P.S. I still have not amp rolled the M1570C to see if I can get more performance out of them with other amps. I plan to do so over the coming months, I just wanted to answer 227qed with an update. My findings are subject to change once I have amp rolled. Of course, I shall update at that time.
I appreciate the response! That’s pretty much what I was expecting.

I’ve always wanted an XC, but at the sale price of $399, I just couldn’t say no to the 1570C.

I initially found the 1570C pretty “boring” as others have alluded to, but they’ve really grown on me over time.

Looking forward to an upgrade in getting an XC or something from ZMF some time though.

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #64 of 207
I just got the Monoprice M1070C and the 1570c and I can say- without reservation- just stop here and just buy the M1070c - the balanced cable for the 1570c is a joke - who ships a mini XLR cable for the cups and a TRS on the other END? Bad idea and bad design for sure... anyway... they are the same driver same everything but the 1070C actually sounds better for me- less harshness and more bass, I understand someone at Monorpice TUNED the 1570c more to weed out the bass more and that may have brought the detail out as well- BUT it somehow made the headphone way to harsh on certain recordings where the 1070c tonally stays very balanced YET still very detailed while still having much less harshness on the same recordings (high pitched/mastered/engineered recordings from singers like Hindi Zahra, Adele, Lady Gaga, Lauren Daigle etc).... the 1070c is very detailed and bassy- and the clear $$$ 2022 winner has got to be the Monoprice 1070c for sure- unreal fun for the $$$ and detailed IF YOUR AMP is and even better with the crazy good tubes amps with loads of power- they will suck up all the juice you can so my I used my tube amp on hand the PRAUTES amp running the G73R Telefunken stealth tube is known to be warm yet very detailed tube ... my Ray Samules Apache with upgrades sounded nice but the 1070c likes tubes best with power the OLT Crack is not going to cut it for these I think for most people- BOTH Monoprice closed backs are heavy headphones on the head so be prepared for that maybe change the band or use nuggets for more comfort because they MAY hurt the top of your head with some weight (dead center of your cranium in the area where all the weight sits unfortunately- but not a deal breaker since it can be resolved easily) ... but I would say the same ofthe Audeze LCD-XC which has similar weight as the Monoprice closed BUT the AUDEZE solved it with a far superior band distributing weight better- BUT nuggets or a band change can make all the difference here and is more likely in the future for these M1070s for long sessions... lastly for the $$$ zero complaints really other than that... I can say it will get some JM Edition mods in future but for now the 1570c is going back and the 1070c has a home right here at my house .... I will say the M1070C needs a lot of current - my Ray Samuels Apache which can drive anything I ever di throw at it- did not sound as good as my Pratues- and yes these headphones are heavy so again be prepaired... use the most powerful tube amp you can get and I think you will have a very satisfying experience...
IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_1036.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #66 of 207
Ok, I do remember the days when I bought budget gear, in fact to some extent everything is on a budget except what I spend in a week makes that a ridiculous statement. The M1570 is the monster here, it's the main act, it's the meat and potatoes. I put it up against the entire Audeze lineup and it's a beast, I won't use it but I also don't use the LCD-2 or LCD-X.

"Not very resolving across most of the frequency range
  • Technical performance is mediocre in general
  • Extremely heavy and physically fatiguing over time"
as an owner and daily user of an LCD-3 and LCD-4 this is a ridiculous statement and I request anyone serious about this headphone (M1570 and by extension it's little bro M1070C) ask this be given some context not just to the M1570C and M1570 but also to the M1070

What is this review, who is cross-shopping a M1070C with a LCD-XC or a Meze Liric, literally nobody

Maybe this is rambling but I don't even own or care to own this headphone and I am a bit ticked off

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #67 of 207
Jul 6, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #68 of 207
I just got the Monoprice M1070C and the 1570c and I can say- without reservation- just stop here and just buy the M1070c - the balanced cable for the 1570c is a joke - who ships a mini XLR cable for the cups and a TRS on the other END? Bad idea and bad design for sure... anyway... they are the same driver same everything but the 1070C actually sounds better for me- less harshness and more bass, I understand someone at Monorpice TUNED the 1570c more to weed out the bass more and that may have brought the detail out as well- BUT it somehow made the headphone way to harsh on certain recordings where the 1070c tonally stays very balanced YET still very detailed while still having much less harshness on the same recordings (high pitched/mastered/engineered recordings from singers like Hindi Zahra, Adele, Lady Gaga, Lauren Daigle etc).... the 1070c is very detailed and bassy- and the clear $$$ 2022 winner has got to be the Monoprice 1070c for sure- unreal fun for the $$$ and detailed IF YOUR AMP is and even better with the crazy good tubes amps with loads of power- they will suck up all the juice you can so my I used my tube amp on hand the PRAUTES amp running the G73R Telefunken stealth tube is known to be warm yet very detailed tube ... my Ray Samules Apache with upgrades sounded nice but the 1070c likes tubes best with power the OLT Crack is not going to cut it for these I think for most people- BOTH Monoprice closed backs are heavy headphones on the head so be prepared for that maybe change the band or use nuggets for more comfort because they MAY hurt the top of your head with some weight (dead center of your cranium in the area where all the weight sits unfortunately- but not a deal breaker since it can be resolved easily) ... but I would say the same ofthe Audeze LCD-XC which has similar weight as the Monoprice closed BUT the AUDEZE solved it with a far superior band distributing weight better- BUT nuggets or a band change can make all the difference here and is more likely in the future for these M1070s for long sessions... lastly for the $$$ zero complaints really other than that... I can say it will get some JM Edition mods in future but for now the 1570c is going back and the 1070c has a home right here at my house .... I will say the M1070C needs a lot of current - my Ray Samuels Apache which can drive anything I ever di throw at it- did not sound as good as my Pratues- and yes these headphones are heavy so again be prepaired... use the most powerful tube amp you can get and I think you will have a very satisfying experience...
IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_1036.jpg
Are you able to compare these with the 1060C? Currently thinking about getting one of those however it seems like the 1070C and 1570C are only available in the US

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #69 of 207
Crickets... for one and a half months. I guess not too much hype on these.
I finally got my Monoprice M1570C today. I also have some Audeze LCD-XC on their way tomorrow. I had the urge to hear alternative closed headphones that might outperform my current closed stable consisting mostly of Focal Elegia, Beyerdynamic DT770 and Sennheiser HD280 being my top performing closed headphone selections. Not yet burned in, I will say right off the bat that 227qed pretty much summed up everything that I am hearing right now on my initial, and non-equalized listen.

Also, these are definitely not M1570 in which I have preferred velour pads. The M1570C sounds much more energetic, balanced, and lively with the lambskin although the treble took me a little time to get used to after becoming accustomed to listening to relaxed treble of the ZMF Aeolus for the past month. So far, I think these sound great and I could really see these traveling with me since they can operate without the need for EQ. I am eager to hear these side by side to Audeze LCD-XC. I pretty much expect the LCD-XC to perform much better, but I would like to determine how much better.
What's your opinion on the 1570C vs the elegia?

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #70 of 207
What's your opinion on the 1570C vs the elegia?
I prefer the Monoprice 1570C over the Focal Elegia. The Elegia rarely get any use from me. I don't enjoy the Elegia very much. Not even after equalization. My order of preference between these two headphones:

1. Monoprice 1570C without EQ
2. Focal Elegia with EQ
3. Focal Elegia without EQ

The Elegia just seem nasal sounding to me. Like someone that has a nasally voice. They are very comfortable and seem well built. I just can't get past the sound.

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #71 of 207
I prefer the Monoprice 1570C over the Focal Elegia. The Elegia rarely get any use from me. I don't enjoy the Elegia very much. Not even after equalization. My order of preference between these two headphones:

1. Monoprice 1570C without EQ
2. Focal Elegia with EQ
3. Focal Elegia without EQ

The Elegia just seem nasal sounding to me. Like someone that has a nasally voice. They are very comfortable and seem well built. I just can't get past the sound.
Ahh I see! Thanks mate, was considering the elegia but guess I'll change my decision.

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #73 of 207
Does anyone have any experience running these on a portable source like the Qudelix 5K? It seems technically possible. Any recommendations for aftermarket balanced cables? Thanks!

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #74 of 207
Does anyone have any experience running these on a portable source like the Qudelix 5K? It seems technically possible. Any recommendations for aftermarket balanced cables? Thanks!
The Qudelix has a balanced output of 240mW, whereas Monoprice say the "optimum power requirement" is 200mw-4W. So, technically within the range that Monoprice says is optimum, but at the very bottom for sure.

I've had good experiences with Hart Cables. They made me a great balanced cable for my M1570 back in the day.

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #75 of 207
I ended up buying the Monoprice balanced cable - being in Canada, access to custom cablemakers is more limited and then shipping/duties become a factor.

No complaints with the OEM cable. It's great, assuming your source has 4-pin XLR out.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back