Monolith M1570C (and M1070C) - Closed Back Planar Headphones
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #91 of 207
Yeah, back when I had the open M1570, I didn't mind the weight itself, it was the weight in addition to its almost-zero clamp. If I leaned forward just a bit, they'd fall off my head. Wearing them was like balancing a big pillow on my head. Didn't hurt or anything, but if I sat or moved wrong, down it went.

But I paid $400 for that headphone. Since I got the closed for less than half that, I'll be happy to just cope. lol

The headband is able to take a bit of bending. I just pushed on the yokes a bit while wearing them and created the extra bit of clamp I needed. Now I have no problem looking down or tilting back. I can even shake my head, not that I'd want to with the M1570's chunkiness, lol.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #92 of 207
Color me impressed. Monoprice has included fazors on both the ear pad side and the cup side. I've always had to add them or do the fuzzor mod on previous Monolith headphones.

unnamed (1).jpg

And now it's time to play with the damping and see what can be done.

unnamed (2).jpg
So are those dampening pads glued together or in seperate pieces? If seperate pieces, then maybe you can try to get extra dampening pads at the same exact sizes and glue those extra dampening pads in different positioning arrays, like having the smallest pad center directly upon your ear canal when wearing them, then having the middle-sized pad’s diameter line as parallel as possible to your ear lobe from the bottom crest curve’s start to the top love point that touches the very end of the pad’s end side, and the largest pad covering both smaller pads and the rest of the ear cup. It would work like Ultrasone’s S-Logic Plus concept, but with sub-bass impact at various distances.

I know it sounds like a lot and I really do not know how which straight-line direction to align the pads, while keeping the smaller dampening pads parallel to your entire ear lobe, but that is why you have extra pads that are the exact dimensions as the stock ones. Hope this would work out as at least a decent M1570C mod!

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #93 of 207
So are those dampening pads glued together or in seperate pieces? If seperate pieces, then maybe you can try to get extra dampening pads at the same exact sizes and glue those extra dampening pads in different positioning arrays, like having the smallest pad center directly upon your ear canal when wearing them, then having the middle-sized pad’s diameter line as parallel as possible to your ear lobe from the bottom crest curve’s start to the top love point that touches the very end of the pad’s end side, and the largest pad covering both smaller pads and the rest of the ear cup. It would work like Ultrasone’s S-Logic Plus concept, but with sub-bass impact at various distances.

I know it sounds like a lot and I really do not know how which straight-line direction to align the pads, while keeping the smaller dampening pads parallel to your entire ear lobe, but that is why you have extra pads that are the exact dimensions as the stock ones. Hope this would work out as at least a decent M1570C mod!

It's 4 separate pieces. 1 thick felt disc and 3 foam discs in graduated sizes. I will definitely be playing with different configurations of the stock foam, as well as other foams and felts I have from headphones I've modded in the past.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #95 of 207
I ordered on 3/14, it didn't ship until yesterday (3/20), should be delivered tomorrow.

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #98 of 207
Monoprice just cancelled and refunded my M1570C order placed on 3/15. :frowning2:
Oh man, that sucks! Did they give any kind of explanation? It seems weird if they ran out of stock since they were selling them after the 15th.

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #99 of 207
Oh man, that sucks! Did they give any kind of explanation? It seems weird if they ran out of stock since they were selling them after the 15th.
This is the email they sent me:
When we receive your order at Monoprice.com we have every intention of fulfilling it. Unfortunately product #43237 is out of stock and we need to remove it from your order. You can expect a full refund for this item back to your payment method. Please allow 2-5 business days for the refund to post in your account. This item has an ETA date of (10/1/23) and if you place an order we will be sure to honor any sale price/promotions used during your original order.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #100 of 207
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #105 of 207
Increasingly fortunate to have received mine today, it seems like.

20230323_182714.jpg

Can't wait to give them a spin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back